2001 Nissan Sentra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sentra model:
Cheap deal and MOSTLY reliable
By mtor92 on 01/18/14 15:03 PM (PST)

2001 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 2001 Sentra in May of 2010 with 71,000 for $5,500. Now, Jan 2014 with over 105k on the odometer I can honestly say that it has been a pretty good little car over these past few years. The car feels peppy enough around town but can be a little lack luster when going to merge or pass quickly. I get about 22 MPG out of mine with a lot of driving in traffic. The road noise is quiet but the engine and wind noise on the highway is a bit high. The only major issue I had with it was the head gasket going at around 91k (which apparently is a common problem with the 1.8L engine.) That repair was around $1700, not cheap, but that was the only major issue I had with the car.

Best Car Ever
By sentradriver on 05/11/13 16:45 PM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Purchased 12/18/2000. I don't drive much so my sentry only has 150k but it has been a great car. No motor or tranny probs. Recently developed a small intermittent starting problem that I believe to be fuel pressure regulator.love this car. Hate the 07-12 body style. Love the 13 so I might go with a 14

Still got legs
By jknecht1 on 04/25/12 19:05 PM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Sentra SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new in late 2000 and over 100K it hasn't ever let me down. With the manual trans, it's consistently a blast to drive. It has had minimal problems over the years, mostly incidental. Never any engine issues. Replaced O2 sesors, brakes, tires, fixed window motors, and the CD player is dead, and a tree fell on it and scratched the heck out of the paint (which was always a weak point) but I still can't justify giving this baby up! What I'd get for it would never reflect the true value of this car!

Great little car!
By bmmwcs on 05/14/11 06:07 AM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my sentra new. Very reliable. Good feel. Great control on snowy roads. Easy to service. Had the car for 8 years. Had to let this car go after it got t-boned. But even in the accident, the structure of the car held up extremely well. I'd buy one again if I had the opportunity. Only negative, for nissans in general, is that they use cheap brakes and tires that need to be swapped out after 2 years.

Reliable
By hueyco on 03/26/11 08:30 AM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Sentra XE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought it as salvage in 2003 from flood in Texas, but no mechanical damage. Had the recall for crankshaft sensor back in 2003, but have not have any issue with this 5-speed. With 102K and with no belt to change (vehicle has timing chain) no major expense for that so it saves in this aspect. Hoping to get another 100K? with regular oil changes of course.

Good Car 4 trvl but..........
By hanna on 11/11/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I love my 01 nissan sentra it's really reliable for travel and I went to Mexico, San Diego , Las Vegas with no problems and good gas mileage .After about 5 yrs with the car the sensors started to fail and the cost was $300 to replace each sensor not including labor. Not too bad for the car lasting about 5-6 yrs before any major repairs had to be made.

Terrible Car
By Disaster on 10/03/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This car is a disaster. When I bought it used at 93,000 miles, it's been giving me problems until now. The car is slow, too much noise and very uncomfortable. The engine started smoking and the transmission went out 2 days ago. The next day, i sold the car for couple hundred bucks. I would not recommend buying this car to anyone.

2001 2L Nissan Sentra SE
By John McKelvey on 06/18/10 21:44 PM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Sentra SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

A 2001 Sentra with a 2.0 L engine and manual transmission is awesome. If you can drive a manual this is a great car.

Good up to a point ...
By copykat on 01/31/10 16:15 PM (PST)

2001 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This was really a good little car until about 85,000 or 90,000 miles. I had no major repairs until then, but at that point things started to go downhill. First, I had to replace the catalytic converter, an $800 repair. Then, about a year later the car developed a leak in the rear main seal, which cost about $700 to fix. A month later the exhaust flex pipe needed to be replaced, which was another $400. A week later I was told there was another problem with the catalytic converter/oxygen sensors, at which point I threw in the towel. But I suppose once you pass $100K all bets are off. And since I did very little to the car in the first eight years or so, that's not too bad.

Reliable Car
By cy04547 on 11/15/09 11:27 AM (PST)

2001 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car in 2004 with 35,000 on it. It now has 154,000 miles. I have gotten 40 mpg on the highway and this is what I absolutely love about the car. I consistently averaged 35 on a mix of back roads and rte 1 (60 mph). Besides regular maintenance, I have had to replace a front coil spring (cheap fix, got the part from a junk yard). There are tons of sentras in the junk yards so get used parts! This cost me about $40, the horn went just after I bought it and probably several other really small things. Currently the connection with the radio and lights to the gearshift have blown. I can deal. I am having trouble giving up the car because of the reliability and gas mileage!