Used 2000 Nissan Sentra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Nissan Sentra - Consumer Reviews

2000 Nissan Sentra

View reviews for a specific Sentra model:

Problems down the road....
By tracey

2000 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought the car used with 50k and had to replace 3 sensors right away totaling near $1,000. The main sensor needed to be replaced 3 times in a year (covered on warranty). Things were great for the next year nothing more than routie oil changes. at 100,000k things started to go wrong. Tranny blew at 101k. I don't drive rough and only locally drive pretty much. I was shocked. Speakers blew around 70k. I had bent my front rims after too many pot holes, they were impossible to find at a reasonable price considering the size was changed half way through the year (recall). Over all not bad, but really angry about the transmission.

Favorite Features

Inside is nice and roomy, lots of space for stuff. Pretty good gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Radio stinks, cd player died with the speakers wayyy to early.

I love Sally the Sentra
By aubreym

2000 Nissan Sentra XE 4dr Sedan

I bought Sally the Sentra the summer after I graduated high school. It has been 5 years and I have not had one single complaint! It gets excellent gas mileage, it is fun to drive, still peppy even with 100,000 miles on it. There was a recall on it right after I got it, and when it was fixed it got better mileage than the sticker said. I would keep it forever, we just need something a little roomier.

Favorite Features

Well, there aren't many on the XE. But the A/C blows ice cold, and it has a huge trunk.

Suggested Improvements

The middle back seat is virtually worthless, not very comfortable.

Reliability and Cost Efficent
By UBR

2000 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

I was given this vehicle at 60,000 from my parents. It is now at 140,070 miles and I must say it has been extreme reliable. I am a college student so like some, I don't bring it in for routine maintenance or bring it for oil changes when I should but It has been treating me well. So far I had to replace one of the coils which didn't go over 200 dollars total and other minor things but all in all. I haven't really had to spend much money compared to others to keep this car going. It's quite comfortable inside, GREAT mileage, the brakes work nice, audio system is pretty nice for a standard sound.

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage, comfortable interior, reliability

Suggested Improvements

None

Long Term Reliability Issues
By dissentrapointment

2000 Nissan Sentra SE 4dr Sedan

I purchased my SE in 2000, with great excitement when it was first released. I took care of it very well. However, after 8 years and 108000 miles later I am highly disappointed in Nissan. I had to change my alternator at 70K, A/C malfunctions at 75K, and most importantly check engine light is on since 85K and can not be figured out why. Fixes are always temporary and its a chronic problem with this model year. Car has lost its appeal as well is its agility and power due to these problems. I would not buy another Nissan again.

Great car for the money
By Happy Owner

2000 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

Everything I expected in a good quality, economical car! More affordable than the Hondas and Toyotas yet the same or better performance, gas mileage and reliability.

Favorite Features

MPG! And amazingly quiet for an economy car.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger backseat but fine singles or small families. The sparkplug coils are a little expensive, $100 but, with only needing two of them over 7 years and 80k miles, not that big of a deal in the scheme of things.