Used 2000 Nissan Sentra SE Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Nissan Sentra - Consumer Reviews

2000 Nissan Sentra Sedan

View reviews for a specific Sentra model:

Just a great car that keeps going
By obx808

2000 Nissan Sentra Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Bought this car new in April 2000. Here I am 13 years & 190K miles later to tell all about it. Repairs have been few & far between. Lets see - 3 starters (weak spot on these cars), a MAF, a thermostat, a clutch (150K miles on original), both drive axles, an alternator and a water pump. Not bad considering the mileage. Engine still pulls strong and burns/leaks no oil. Manual trans shifts quietly & smoothly. All the power accessories (windows, locks, sunroof, etc.) still work - as does the AC. Overall, the car is aging quite nicely - I plan on keeping it for a few more years. Why replace something that works so well?

Favorite Features

Engine - pure & simple. The 2.0L Nissan SR-20 is a well-known bulletproof power plant. Also, the interior is well put together with some smart storage spots and great visibility.

Suggested Improvements

Quit making Sentras in Mexico - bring the jobs to the U.S.

I can't believe it's been 10 years!
By Still going!

2000 Nissan Sentra Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I purchased my SE w/ perform pck in August 2000 new with 23 miles. It now has over 210k! (I still have the window sticker:O) It's always been fun to drive and it has all the features I could have wanted. In 10 years it's never left me stranded, never not started and never stuck in the snow. And up until about 1 1/2 yr ago it rarely needed anything other than routine maint (and a couple O2 sensors!). Now it has a small oil leak, and some annoying issues: Cd player died, spare tire well fills w/water if driving while raining and heat shield cannot be fixed-it vibrates off exhaust pipe, etc. But I still love this car!

Favorite Features

All the "bells & whistles", fun to drive (still!) and great gas mileage!

Suggested Improvements

more comfortable seats, bigger truck area, not much leg room in back seat.

Lemon
By HRDEDD

2000 Nissan Sentra Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used and had a great time for maybe the first year. My check engine light has been on for years. It says my catalytic converter needs to be replaced. I paid for an expensive fix getting a new catalytic converter and the check engine light is still on and still reading the same thing. My uncle didn't even believe it was my catalytic converter because there was not burning hot air coming out of my muffler. The car seems to run fine with the check engine light always on so after many trips to various auto repair shops I have basically given up and just drive it as is. The car is small which was great for me back in college but having a family in the car is hard.

Favorite Features

Excellent gas mileage, I usually get over 30mpg even in the city.

Suggested Improvements

There seems to be a problem after internet research with many of these cars having the check engine light on for catalytic converter and Nissan won't recall. Have a trusted mechanic check this car out carefully before you buy it. Silver paint peeling after 8 years, seat cushions not as firm.

Long Term Reliability Issues
By dissentrapointment

2000 Nissan Sentra Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I purchased my SE in 2000, with great excitement when it was first released. I took care of it very well. However, after 8 years and 108000 miles later I am highly disappointed in Nissan. I had to change my alternator at 70K, A/C malfunctions at 75K, and most importantly check engine light is on since 85K and can not be figured out why. Fixes are always temporary and its a chronic problem with this model year. Car has lost its appeal as well is its agility and power due to these problems. I would not buy another Nissan again.

Reliable Nissan
By stewby

2000 Nissan Sentra Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I bought my SE automatic used and now have over 83,000 miles on it. The horn quit working (broken wire in steering column) and an emission valve failed. That's been it. Not even a bulb. I just do normal maintenance on the car. This is the best car I've owned.

Favorite Features

Performance and handling. A bargain compared to more expensive offerings.

Suggested Improvements

Better leg room in back, but then again, it is a subcompact.