2000 Nissan Sentra Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sentra model:
Just a great car that keeps going
By obx808 on 03/18/13 06:17 AM (PDT)

2000 Nissan Sentra Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Bought this car new in April 2000. Here I am 13 years & 190K miles later to tell all about it. Repairs have been few & far between. Lets see - 3 starters (weak spot on these cars), a MAF, a thermostat, a clutch (150K miles on original), both drive axles, an alternator and a water pump. Not bad considering the mileage. Engine still pulls strong and burns/leaks no oil. Manual trans shifts quietly & smoothly. All the power accessories (windows, locks, sunroof, etc.) still work - as does the AC. Overall, the car is aging quite nicely - I plan on keeping it for a few more years. Why replace something that works so well?

Can't Complain
By Bobbi on 11/16/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Nissan Sentra Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

Bought this car new Aug 2000. Had 2 miles on speedometer. It has been really a great car. Yes I've had some issues as with all cars but all in all It has treated me fairly good. The belts need to be changed around every sixty thousand miles and it still wants to squeal especially when cold. AC never that good. Oil dip stick broke off twice. They need to get rid of the plastic head. I have two hundred and thirty thousand on her and she's still running nice. Fuel pump replaced once. recall done on sensor...free I now need struts but won't put any more money in her as she's old. She's been a good car and I'll drive her till she stops!

I can't believe it's been 10 years!
By Still going! on 09/04/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Nissan Sentra Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I purchased my SE w/ perform pck in August 2000 new with 23 miles. It now has over 210k! (I still have the window sticker:O) It's always been fun to drive and it has all the features I could have wanted. In 10 years it's never left me stranded, never not started and never stuck in the snow. And up until about 1 1/2 yr ago it rarely needed anything other than routine maint (and a couple O2 sensors!). Now it has a small oil leak, and some annoying issues: Cd player died, spare tire well fills w/water if driving while raining and heat shield cannot be fixed-it vibrates off exhaust pipe, etc. But I still love this car!

Nissan Sentra
By Sergio on 05/25/10 10:55 AM (PDT)

2000 Nissan Sentra Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I have own this car since 2004. I bought from a dealership at 44,000 miles. I only had to do Oil Changes until 80,300 miles when the catalytic converter went bad. but, lucky enough was cover under warranty. (but, the dealership made me pay for half $400). Aside from regular up keep i haven't had to do much till recently. Now, I am at 127,000 and the radiator was cracked after that was fixed I started having issues with the Idling of the vehicle. which I am trying to get resolved now. Nissan is aware of this issue. when the vehicle is on Park it will go to 2-3,000 RPM. Oh yeah. I also had issues with the pedal sticking. but, I got it resolved. (read below how)

Piece of foreign junk!!!
By Awful luck with cars on 04/27/10 13:48 PM (PDT)

2000 Nissan Sentra Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought this 5-spd car in Nov. 2008 only because my 93 Buick Centry(oh how I miss you!!!) finally died. So the car was great for the first 5 months, then the battery and alternator died, but i expected this since the car was 8 years old with 101,000 miles on it, so no big deal. a couple of months after that, Mass Airflow Sensor died, then EVAP Sensor, then a coil in 1 of my cylinders, then my struts, springs and strut mounts broke on the driver side....oh yea, and my check engine light is still on!! I've spent about 3k just trying to fix the car so it passed inspection, but after the struts blew, Im done!!! To make things worse...I still owe $2500 on the loan when I bought the car! My luck!

I have loved this car.
By Happy girl on 02/26/10 18:29 PM (PST)

2000 Nissan Sentra Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought my Nissan in 2002. This car has been more than I could have hoped for. In 8 years of ownership I have only had 1 problem with the alternator going out at 133,000 miles. This car just keeps going and I often say I will drive it till it dies. The interior is a little small if you have a family and the drink holders are awkward but all in all this car has been awesome. Bravo to Nissan.

Great Car
By Great Car on 06/23/09 16:50 PM (PDT)

2000 Nissan Sentra Sedan XE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new at the end of 2001. Because it was an XE with a 5sp manual it was still on the lot. For the first 100k it had very few problems, and they were covered under warranty. A new catalytic converter and a fuel pump were all that went wrong. The clutch lasted until 115k. Now that I have 140k on it, I've had to replace the rack and pinon steering and needed some engine repairs for rough idling. Overall, I love this car and for the mileage it has needed few repairs.

Owner of 10 years
By grezavi on 02/14/09 21:46 PM (PST)

2000 Nissan Sentra Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car model when it was first released back in late 1999 as 2000. Typically I don't buy first model years but in this case I did because it was so much superior than the Civic or Toyota. I had problems with its electrical system and A/C in the first couple of years but after sorting that out, things have been great and I am very pleased. The last year or so a check engine light has come on, it is harmless for the part and has been on for about 40,000 miles so go figure. I am very impressed by the car now in its 10th year of ownership and I am tempted to repeat another Sentra purchase.

Lemon
By HRDEDD on 12/07/08 19:48 PM (PST)

2000 Nissan Sentra Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used and had a great time for maybe the first year. My check engine light has been on for years. It says my catalytic converter needs to be replaced. I paid for an expensive fix getting a new catalytic converter and the check engine light is still on and still reading the same thing. My uncle didn't even believe it was my catalytic converter because there was not burning hot air coming out of my muffler. The car seems to run fine with the check engine light always on so after many trips to various auto repair shops I have basically given up and just drive it as is. The car is small which was great for me back in college but having a family in the car is hard.

Steady eddy
By Scott on 11/17/08 17:11 PM (PST)

2000 Nissan Sentra Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought a 2000 Nissan Sentra GXE new. Now have over 133,000 miles and runs like the day I bought it from the dealer. Got 91,000 on original Bridgestone tires.