Used 2000 Nissan Sentra XE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Nissan Sentra - Consumer Reviews

2000 Nissan Sentra

View reviews for a specific Sentra model:

Great Car
By Great Car

2000 Nissan Sentra XE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new at the end of 2001. Because it was an XE with a 5sp manual it was still on the lot. For the first 100k it had very few problems, and they were covered under warranty. A new catalytic converter and a fuel pump were all that went wrong. The clutch lasted until 115k. Now that I have 140k on it, I've had to replace the rack and pinon steering and needed some engine repairs for rough idling. Overall, I love this car and for the mileage it has needed few repairs.

Favorite Features

When I drive it nicely I can get 32 mpg in the city and 36 on the highway. The base car (XE) came with enough features to keep me happy for a commuter car.

Suggested Improvements

The trunk is a little small and the back seat can be cramped. There is a fair amount of road noise from the tires, but my bank account is still doing just fine.

I love Sally the Sentra
By aubreym

2000 Nissan Sentra XE 4dr Sedan

I bought Sally the Sentra the summer after I graduated high school. It has been 5 years and I have not had one single complaint! It gets excellent gas mileage, it is fun to drive, still peppy even with 100,000 miles on it. There was a recall on it right after I got it, and when it was fixed it got better mileage than the sticker said. I would keep it forever, we just need something a little roomier.

Favorite Features

Well, there aren't many on the XE. But the A/C blows ice cold, and it has a huge trunk.

Suggested Improvements

The middle back seat is virtually worthless, not very comfortable.

Used to be better
By flasentra

2000 Nissan Sentra XE 4dr Sedan

I had a 1993 that made it to 178,000 miles but I doubt this one will make it that far. While it looks bigger and has a little more room, the trunk is still too small, and with a pretty much stripped down version, I miss things like intermittant wipers, light in the trunk, better fabric on the seats, cruise control... they make a diff. The plastic on the front headlights on both discolor after two years and visors are crap. Windshield has a lot of scratches. Needs better acceleration/pickup. My big complaint is the service--go for an oil change, they try to sell $$$$ maintenance. I bought an inexpensive car because cash is in an issue, I don't have $$$$ to spend in maintenance.

Favorite Features

Good mileage and handles fairly well. Fairly easy to drive and park.

Suggested Improvements

Go back to making these in California and Japan. Use better materials in fabrics for roof, visors, etc. Better pickup needed. Put a light in the trunk on even the cheap ones. Choice of tires when buying. Plastics, rubber moulding, fabrics and a paint job that stand up to Florida sun would be nice

One Problem After Another
By Scott

2000 Nissan Sentra XE 4dr Sedan

Avoid the 2000 Nissan Sentra at all cost. I have already put a new transmission in and just spent around $1,000 to get an inspection sticker. I found out that the car was assembled in Mexico. I will never buy another Nissan.

Very Happy with the car
By nsentra

2000 Nissan Sentra XE 4dr Sedan

I only bought this car as this was the only dealer that would give me credit.. but I am very happy with it. Starts well, the driver seat is so comftable I dont need a cushion like I do on many other cars I have driven, it looks good and its FAST - Iv done over 100 in it, very nippy with controlls well laid out altogether a pleasure to drive. The back seats look a little crapmed but I have actually never sat in it as a passenger and none of my passengers have really complained, so it cant be that bad.

Favorite Features

This car is so easy to do repairs on you can almost "undress" the plastics without tools! I love that! Engine very quite at idle.

Suggested Improvements

PLEASE dont ever again make a car without intermittent wipers!!! Or without closable fan vents!! I did not notice this at the dealer and would have thought twice if I had. Its very annoying. I also would have liked folding seats, like the Corrola.