Used 2000 Nissan Sentra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Nissan Sentra - Consumer Reviews

2000 Nissan Sentra

View reviews for a specific Sentra model:

Just a great car that keeps going
By obx808

2000 Nissan Sentra SE 4dr Sedan

Bought this car new in April 2000. Here I am 13 years & 190K miles later to tell all about it. Repairs have been few & far between. Lets see - 3 starters (weak spot on these cars), a MAF, a thermostat, a clutch (150K miles on original), both drive axles, an alternator and a water pump. Not bad considering the mileage. Engine still pulls strong and burns/leaks no oil. Manual trans shifts quietly & smoothly. All the power accessories (windows, locks, sunroof, etc.) still work - as does the AC. Overall, the car is aging quite nicely - I plan on keeping it for a few more years. Why replace something that works so well?

Favorite Features

Engine - pure & simple. The 2.0L Nissan SR-20 is a well-known bulletproof power plant. Also, the interior is well put together with some smart storage spots and great visibility.

Suggested Improvements

Quit making Sentras in Mexico - bring the jobs to the U.S.

Can't Complain
By Bobbi

2000 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

Bought this car new Aug 2000. Had 2 miles on speedometer. It has been really a great car. Yes I've had some issues as with all cars but all in all It has treated me fairly good. The belts need to be changed around every sixty thousand miles and it still wants to squeal especially when cold. AC never that good. Oil dip stick broke off twice. They need to get rid of the plastic head. I have two hundred and thirty thousand on her and she's still running nice. Fuel pump replaced once. recall done on sensor...free I now need struts but won't put any more money in her as she's old. She's been a good car and I'll drive her till she stops!

Favorite Features

Handling great. Good brakes and gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Change the plastic head on the dip stick it gets hot & breaks off. Belt issues?

I can't believe it's been 10 years!
By Still going!

2000 Nissan Sentra SE 4dr Sedan

I purchased my SE w/ perform pck in August 2000 new with 23 miles. It now has over 210k! (I still have the window sticker:O) It's always been fun to drive and it has all the features I could have wanted. In 10 years it's never left me stranded, never not started and never stuck in the snow. And up until about 1 1/2 yr ago it rarely needed anything other than routine maint (and a couple O2 sensors!). Now it has a small oil leak, and some annoying issues: Cd player died, spare tire well fills w/water if driving while raining and heat shield cannot be fixed-it vibrates off exhaust pipe, etc. But I still love this car!

Favorite Features

All the "bells & whistles", fun to drive (still!) and great gas mileage!

Suggested Improvements

more comfortable seats, bigger truck area, not much leg room in back seat.

Nissan Sentra
By Sergio

2000 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

I have own this car since 2004. I bought from a dealership at 44,000 miles. I only had to do Oil Changes until 80,300 miles when the catalytic converter went bad. but, lucky enough was cover under warranty. (but, the dealership made me pay for half $400). Aside from regular up keep i haven't had to do much till recently. Now, I am at 127,000 and the radiator was cracked after that was fixed I started having issues with the Idling of the vehicle. which I am trying to get resolved now. Nissan is aware of this issue. when the vehicle is on Park it will go to 2-3,000 RPM. Oh yeah. I also had issues with the pedal sticking. but, I got it resolved. (read below how)

Favorite Features

I don't car to much for the vehicle. but, it gets me from point A to point B. and that is what I love about it. Oh yeah, plus its paid off so, I have not auto payment each month.

Suggested Improvements

In regards to the pedal sticking I actually went and had the Throttle body removed and cleaned cost about $110 and it about an hours worth of labor. But, it was truly worth it.. cause now I don't have that annoying sticking pedal!

Piece of foreign junk!!!
By Awful luck with cars

2000 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought this 5-spd car in Nov. 2008 only because my 93 Buick Centry(oh how I miss you!!!) finally died. So the car was great for the first 5 months, then the battery and alternator died, but i expected this since the car was 8 years old with 101,000 miles on it, so no big deal. a couple of months after that, Mass Airflow Sensor died, then EVAP Sensor, then a coil in 1 of my cylinders, then my struts, springs and strut mounts broke on the driver side....oh yea, and my check engine light is still on!! I've spent about 3k just trying to fix the car so it passed inspection, but after the struts blew, Im done!!! To make things worse...I still owe $2500 on the loan when I bought the car! My luck!

Favorite Features

Fun to drive when it's running! plenty of storage. Handles nicely

Suggested Improvements

Small cupholders, body rots out easily, CD player works when it wants to, engine falls apart, most auto repair shops can't figure out what's wrong when the check engine light is on b/c nissan has weird codes or something like that, just buy a new car if you can!!