Used 1999 Nissan Sentra Consumer Reviews - 48 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Nissan Sentra - Consumer Reviews

1999 Nissan Sentra

View reviews for a specific Sentra model:

Great car
By Agbhlhs

1999 Nissan Sentra XE 4dr Sedan

I have had this car for 1 year and 5 months and have had only slight problems. I had to replace my struts and exhaust manifold gasket. I also had to replace the ac compressor after 100000 miles. Otherwise the car has been great. I will have to replace the cv boot. I love this car it has been great!!

Automatic trasnmission, electronic overdrive, CD player

Move the cupholders, add more space in the backseats.

Attached to this car.
By N.Matthews

1999 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

I have had this car for about seven years and have only had little things go wrong with it until very recently. With only a few breakdowns in 7 yrs. I have to say it's usually very reliable. I haven't gotten around to putting it in the shop for this latest breakdown but I'm hoping it's only something minor. (It's never cost over $400 to fix before!) In the meantime I'm driving an SUV and missing my Nissan Sentra tremendously. I never realized how comfortable my Sentra was until I've had to drive that thing. I can't wait to get it fixed and back on the road. Terrific car!! It's perfect to drive around town or for a long trip but I hate to load groceries in it!

Gas mileage!! And I live in the deep South and the air conditioner can actually keep up. The heat works too well for this area!

The windows always seem to fog and won't clear in the winter. It needs more power for passing. The cupholders are ridiculously placed and too small. The sound system is pretty bad. The odometer stopped working about 2 years ago.

Review after 5 years, 80k miles
By t-bizzzle

1999 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 60k miles on it and now it has 140k. It's been good to me, but it has its quirks. I'm 6-2, 230, and I find this car comfortable. Its been a pretty reliable car too. The only breakdown was when my water pump went out. Beware that this car has trouble starting at high altitude. I need to put my foot on the gas when I start my car or it will stall and will not start up again. If I forget to put my foot on the gas when I start it I have to floor it and crank the engine for about 60 seconds. I've only forgotten to hit the gas about 3 times, so its not that big of a deal to me.

Overall reliability, 30+ mpg, comfortable driving position

Make starting more reliable at altitude, more power, more trunk space (its TINY).

This Model Lives Up
By Nat

1999 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 1999 Nissan GXE new right off the lot. It handled great and fit my budget plus the warranty was decent. I added a rear spoiler and a nose mask to give it a somewhat sportier look. Other than basic maintenance (oil changes, new tires, etc.) I have yet to be let down by this car. And it has traveled quit a bit from state-to-state! Only issues: I had water leaking onto the front passenger driving mats when it rained heavily and the driver side power window died around 50000 miles. Neither was a major problem to fix. Most recently the key started sticking in the trunk (65000 miles) and the driver side visor broke (80000) but those are not major or costly issues to deal with.

The reliability! I have never felt nervous or uncertain about taking this car anywhere. As long as I take care of it, it takes me where I have to go.

The cup holder is very poorly designed and can interfere with playing CDs or the radio. Also, the this car has a lack of pick-up power that is most noticable when going up-hill.

1999 Nissan Sentra GXE
By John Aviero

1999 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 65000 miles on it. I put 30000 miles on it so far. It runs well, no problems so far. Gas mileage is good. This car is very reliable, I would recommend it to anyone who wants a cheap and reliable car.