1999 Nissan Sentra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sentra model:
A few significant problems
By BBB on 05/13/06 19:51 PM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Sentra XE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car brand new in 1999. A few annoying problems appeared while using it. First, my horn would go off without any warning while I was making sharp turns (especially, on very hot days). Second, I had to change brake drums after 5 years of driving it (my Toyota after 9 years did not have her brake drums changed yet). Third, some exhaust sensor broke down, and my orange Maintenance light would be constantly on. I did not fix it, since it would cost me money and wasn't critical to driving. So I'm pretty disappointed with the car overall. Frankly, I'll never buy a Nissan again. On a positive side, I had a really major car accident with a tractor trailer and I lived, so it's a safe car

practical and economical
By chrisreed82 on 04/06/06 20:40 PM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car 2 years ago with 65,000 miles on it. It now has around 100,000 on it. I has never left me stranded, and never let me down. I've pushed it pretty hard on some long trips, and some times when I just want to have fun! But I maintain it regularly and meticulously. I've had lots of compliments on the car, for example: "that's a Sentra?! It doesn't look like a Sentra....., that's pretty cool!" I love a lot of features on the car, and its practicality. Recently it has cost me some money though, and I think that it must be one of those "luck of the draw" type of things. This is a good little car though, I'm not going to give up on it yet.

Sentra SE Limited
By Jacob Dodge on 02/28/06 21:25 PM (PST)

1999 Nissan Sentra SE Limited 4dr Sedan

The Sentra has been an ok little car. The alternator died once, leaving me stranded. Both keys have broken, one is still in the trunklid. Front passenger window motor is going dead. Eject button broke off of cd player. Muffler rusted apart. Also, just recently, the fan speed selector only works on 4, 1-3 do nothing. Despite those problems, it is still faster than my freinds Civic and Corolla. It has a sunroof, which I am ever thankful for. And keyless entry, and white faced gauges. And fog lights. The Sentra now has 140,000 miles on it, with me putting around 40,000 miles/year on it. Considering this, I think the car is holding up rather well.

Very reliable
By ljar on 02/11/06 17:25 PM (PST)

1999 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

This little car has been extemely reliable. It has had required very few repairs and has excellent gas mileage. This Sentra isn't the most stylish car, but I am very pleased with the car, overall.

I'll buy another Nissan
By Saideh on 01/03/06 11:50 AM (PST)

1999 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

This was my second car. I bought it new 6 years ago, when I was a still a teen. Now I'm thinking of passing it on to my little sis because it has been very reliable, never a single mechanical problem and has great gas mileage.

Great little car, cute.
By Sue on 07/09/05 16:38 PM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

This is my first car and I bought it at 6 years old about 5 months ago. It had no problems when I bought it and still has no problems although I've taken it on a several road trips since .. Pittsburgh to Philly, Philly to DC and back. It feels comfortable and is nice to drive and its small so its great for parking but not too small as to get intimidated on the highways. I love my car :)

Reliable and good handling although ugly
By CanadianDriver on 03/04/05 21:26 PM (PST)

1999 Nissan Sentra XE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used in 2002 and it's been very reliable, which is important for someone like me who knows squat about cars. Gas mileage is excellent. The only problems have been replacing the clutch cable, a/c leak, and a bit of rust. The seats are comfortable and the car is easy to maneuver. The heating and a/c come on quickly and work well. The cup holders are awkward because they block the radio and clock. It doesn't accelerate overly well and my friends tell me it's ugly (which it is), but it was a lot cheaper pound for pound than a Civic and frankly, a better investment.

Great car.
By Sean on 02/19/05 09:04 AM (PST)

1999 Nissan Sentra SE 4dr Sedan

My wife bought her Sentra Sedan SE brand new in 1999 and outside of two major trips to the shop since the purchase, this car has been a workhorse. We've driven it up and down the eastern seaboard with nary a problem. The engine is quick and quiet, steering is a little tight, but meaty which is good. The car did have some kind of degenerative wheel problem that almost ruined the car, but it has since been fixed and is as good as new. Problems are trite: the trunk won't open with a key, only the latch will open it. The car lacks headroom for taller drivers, and the cupholders are downright putrid. The car also needs a better center console and glove box. But other than that, great car!

Great Car
By GEM-NEY on 12/01/04 11:56 AM (PST)

1999 Nissan Sentra SE Limited 4dr Sedan

My 1999 Nissan Sentra has been a great car. I use it to commute to work and school. I have been getting great mileage. If you are familiar with the Bay Area, I can make it from San Jose to San Francisco and back on only a quarter tank of gas. This is a very comfortable car.

Happy Sentra Owner
By ajent on 11/12/04 10:41 AM (PST)

1999 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

This has been a great little car! I have had very little to repair. I have had to replace the starter, and fix a sticking left hand turn signal. I have almost 120,000 miles on the car. All other parts are original and I just got another compliment from the shop after my latest 30,000 mile auto maintenance. In addition, the gas mileage is quite good...hasn't lowered at all since the car was new! An added plus is the interior.....no rattles, and the upholstery looks great!