1999 Nissan Sentra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sentra model:
Attached to this car.
By N.Matthews on 03/10/08 12:43 PM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

I have had this car for about seven years and have only had little things go wrong with it until very recently. With only a few breakdowns in 7 yrs. I have to say it's usually very reliable. I haven't gotten around to putting it in the shop for this latest breakdown but I'm hoping it's only something minor. (It's never cost over $400 to fix before!) In the meantime I'm driving an SUV and missing my Nissan Sentra tremendously. I never realized how comfortable my Sentra was until I've had to drive that thing. I can't wait to get it fixed and back on the road. Terrific car!! It's perfect to drive around town or for a long trip but I hate to load groceries in it!

Review after 5 years, 80k miles
By t-bizzzle on 02/16/08 12:47 PM (PST)

1999 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 60k miles on it and now it has 140k. It's been good to me, but it has its quirks. I'm 6-2, 230, and I find this car comfortable. Its been a pretty reliable car too. The only breakdown was when my water pump went out. Beware that this car has trouble starting at high altitude. I need to put my foot on the gas when I start my car or it will stall and will not start up again. If I forget to put my foot on the gas when I start it I have to floor it and crank the engine for about 60 seconds. I've only forgotten to hit the gas about 3 times, so its not that big of a deal to me.

This Model Lives Up
By Nat on 02/15/08 08:50 AM (PST)

1999 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 1999 Nissan GXE new right off the lot. It handled great and fit my budget plus the warranty was decent. I added a rear spoiler and a nose mask to give it a somewhat sportier look. Other than basic maintenance (oil changes, new tires, etc.) I have yet to be let down by this car. And it has traveled quit a bit from state-to-state! Only issues: I had water leaking onto the front passenger driving mats when it rained heavily and the driver side power window died around 50000 miles. Neither was a major problem to fix. Most recently the key started sticking in the trunk (65000 miles) and the driver side visor broke (80000) but those are not major or costly issues to deal with.

1999 Nissan Sentra GXE
By John Aviero on 11/25/07 18:01 PM (PST)

1999 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 65000 miles on it. I put 30000 miles on it so far. It runs well, no problems so far. Gas mileage is good. This car is very reliable, I would recommend it to anyone who wants a cheap and reliable car.

My First Car
By Jodi on 05/20/07 16:49 PM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new in 1999. It has made several cross country trips and taken me to work and back for 8 years. I have never been stranded anywhere. It has been a great, reliable, practical first car. It isn't really "fun to drive". I often joke that I have two hamsters under the hood and one of them is tired. If you have a drink in the cupholders, it will block your radio controls. Both the 1 and the 6 preset buttons broke off about 4 years ago. The cruise control works great, but the button has a hole in it where I've pushed it one time too many. Overall I've loved this car, but I'm excited to have enough money now to buy something with a little more luxury and style.

Small But With a Punch
By TheRussian on 01/16/07 17:17 PM (PST)

1999 Nissan Sentra SE Limited 4dr Sedan

What can I say that would truly state what I think about this car? Small but fun! I got this car over my 200sx (1.6l engine). Reliable car, safe (well unless the driver makes it not so safe). The paint job is pretty good, I like the nice blue color of this car. Front looks good except for the grill, which is new for 1999 model. This car has nice stock rims and side skirts, looks great! I stuck a cold air intake, made the car sound like a v8 mustang :). I would like sticking more stuff in so that people would be surprised at what this "grandma car" can do. It could use a little more horses, but it will still take any civic/corolla :). Highly suggested car!

Old Faithful
By NATE on 11/18/06 21:52 PM (PST)

1999 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

Aside from being extreme;y reliable (although the timing belt broke at about 110k miles) I feel extra safe in it. I was involved in 4 accidents in this car and it still goes like a pro. Now, 126k miles later-my car still runs like a new pro..

Great car!
By Jearbear on 11/08/06 06:54 AM (PST)

1999 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

I have maintained this car through out the last 7 years, it is in good shape and runs great. I really enjoy driving it. I plan on buying my 6th sentra when I am finished with this one. There have been NO wrecks in the car and I drove it off the lot w/12 miles on it. Six of those miles, were test driven by me.

Reliable and Enjoyable
By Florida Fun on 08/18/06 19:55 PM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

This was a first car purchase. It really was a great car to drive. The only difficulty was an air fan problem after six years of owning it. Well worth the purchase price and very reliable.

Small & Reliable
By Kana on 06/16/06 12:13 PM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

I purchased this vehicle new back in 1999. I am surprised I still have it after 128,000 miles and still going. This car has been quite reliable with oil and trans fluid changes. As for the problems, the sun visor cracked and I swapped from the passengeer side onto the driver side. Also the driver's side power window push-down button malfunctioned. I opened everything and taped it to make it work. The engine oil is starting to drip very slowly right now. It must be the cranckshaft seal. I'll get to it someday. I can't deny the fact that it's a very reliable car for going from point A to B. In fact, I had owned 1989 Tercel and 1993 Civic. Sentra outperformed both in quality.