Used 1999 Nissan Sentra SE Limited Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Nissan Sentra - Consumer Reviews

1999 Nissan Sentra Sedan

View reviews for a specific Sentra model:

180K and going
By red chocobo

1999 Nissan Sentra Sedan SE Limited 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used 2003, 91K and now I added 90K to it. Mean time, I took the car to the shop maybe 10 times or so. aircondition circuit $30, starter $200, PW window switch $100, exhaust leak 3 times, 250, front O2 $60. That is about it. Never stopped running, never fail to start, great for gas, and note that this care is the easiest car to change the oil filter. I do not think many people are interested in buying 99 sentra now, but I must say that you shuold by a manual shift, it goes OK over 2000 RPM, but if you really want to drive, you need to control the engine rev over 4000.

Favorite Features

Alloy wheel, sunroof, manual shift, engine power, oil filter location, and gas mileage!

Suggested Improvements

ABS. This car has everything I wanted and does not have anything I did not want. I like the simplicity of it, but I really want ABS, that would have made it perfect for me. also, exaust piple should be stailess. Optional SR20DET or VVT.

Small But With a Punch
By TheRussian

1999 Nissan Sentra Sedan SE Limited 4dr Sedan

What can I say that would truly state what I think about this car? Small but fun! I got this car over my 200sx (1.6l engine). Reliable car, safe (well unless the driver makes it not so safe). The paint job is pretty good, I like the nice blue color of this car. Front looks good except for the grill, which is new for 1999 model. This car has nice stock rims and side skirts, looks great! I stuck a cold air intake, made the car sound like a v8 mustang :). I would like sticking more stuff in so that people would be surprised at what this "grandma car" can do. It could use a little more horses, but it will still take any civic/corolla :). Highly suggested car!

Favorite Features

Sun roof, the gorgeous 5 spoke gun metal rims (wish they had them in 17's and would continue them for the Spec-V's). Nice spoiler, and beautiful blue paint job. Seats are nice and soft, fold down 40/60 split. Small yet comfortable with a great turning radius.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders, left window motor is dying, alternator died, sound system not great, could use a little more power, Oil filter is a pain to replace, so is the Alternator. Trunk is a bit small. Small gas tank (only 13.2 gallons). Gas mileage is not 29/39 (stick) but 23/31 (stick).

Sentra SE Limited
By Jacob Dodge

1999 Nissan Sentra Sedan SE Limited 4dr Sedan

The Sentra has been an ok little car. The alternator died once, leaving me stranded. Both keys have broken, one is still in the trunklid. Front passenger window motor is going dead. Eject button broke off of cd player. Muffler rusted apart. Also, just recently, the fan speed selector only works on 4, 1-3 do nothing. Despite those problems, it is still faster than my freinds Civic and Corolla. It has a sunroof, which I am ever thankful for. And keyless entry, and white faced gauges. And fog lights. The Sentra now has 140,000 miles on it, with me putting around 40,000 miles/year on it. Considering this, I think the car is holding up rather well.

Favorite Features

Sunroof, white gauges, fog lights, factory bronze alloy wheels, keyless entry, rear spoiler, big factory exhaust tip, and leather wrapped steering wheel.

Suggested Improvements

The cupholders aren't designed for anything bigger than an aluminum can. A center armrest would also be greatly appreciated. Only the speedometer and tachomoter are white faced; it would be nice if the temp and fural gauges were white faced also.

Great Car
By GEM-NEY

1999 Nissan Sentra Sedan SE Limited 4dr Sedan

My 1999 Nissan Sentra has been a great car. I use it to commute to work and school. I have been getting great mileage. If you are familiar with the Bay Area, I can make it from San Jose to San Francisco and back on only a quarter tank of gas. This is a very comfortable car.

Favorite Features

The stereo is great, but it could use more bass.

Suggested Improvements

The only problem that I have experienced is the failure of the passenger window's motor.

fast and fun
By Randon

1999 Nissan Sentra Sedan SE Limited 4dr Sedan

This car is fun to drive and very quick for what it is. It is a very reliable vehicle. No problem passing when needed as it is very responsive and quick.

Favorite Features

Acceleration and handling.

Suggested Improvements

Sits too low, I sit on a small cushion. Some people may not mind, but I like to sit higher.