Used 1999 Nissan Sentra XE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Nissan Sentra - Consumer Reviews

1999 Nissan Sentra

View reviews for a specific Sentra model:

10 years old and still going strong
By CdnTeacher

1999 Nissan Sentra XE 4dr Sedan

I am selling my Sentra after driving it since 2002 (bought off a lease). Overall, it's been a super car: great gas mileage, no major repairs. Not the sportiest looking and very bare bones inside, but it's taken me many miles and been very reliable. A/C stopped working last summer (not fixed), trunk no longer openable by key, some rust on body. Had to fix clutch, A/C once before in 2002, brakes but other than that, no major problems.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, manual transmission

Suggested Improvements

Cup holder poorly placed

Amazing
By ashley12345

1999 Nissan Sentra XE 4dr Sedan

Can't deny love for this car! Great first car, original owner had it stored in garage. It only had 72,000 miles on it when bought! Prime condition, a lot of zing for small car!

Favorite Features

Interior!

Great car
By Agbhlhs

1999 Nissan Sentra XE 4dr Sedan

I have had this car for 1 year and 5 months and have had only slight problems. I had to replace my struts and exhaust manifold gasket. I also had to replace the ac compressor after 100000 miles. Otherwise the car has been great. I will have to replace the cv boot. I love this car it has been great!!

Favorite Features

Automatic trasnmission, electronic overdrive, CD player

Suggested Improvements

Move the cupholders, add more space in the backseats.

A few significant problems
By BBB

1999 Nissan Sentra XE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car brand new in 1999. A few annoying problems appeared while using it. First, my horn would go off without any warning while I was making sharp turns (especially, on very hot days). Second, I had to change brake drums after 5 years of driving it (my Toyota after 9 years did not have her brake drums changed yet). Third, some exhaust sensor broke down, and my orange Maintenance light would be constantly on. I did not fix it, since it would cost me money and wasn't critical to driving. So I'm pretty disappointed with the car overall. Frankly, I'll never buy a Nissan again. On a positive side, I had a really major car accident with a tractor trailer and I lived, so it's a safe car

Favorite Features

A manual transmission has a good acceleration for engine's horse power. I could always overtake all of the cars starting from a full stop, except the sporty cars obviously.

Suggested Improvements

Read my review above.

Reliable and good handling although ugly
By CanadianDriver

1999 Nissan Sentra XE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used in 2002 and it's been very reliable, which is important for someone like me who knows squat about cars. Gas mileage is excellent. The only problems have been replacing the clutch cable, a/c leak, and a bit of rust. The seats are comfortable and the car is easy to maneuver. The heating and a/c come on quickly and work well. The cup holders are awkward because they block the radio and clock. It doesn't accelerate overly well and my friends tell me it's ugly (which it is), but it was a lot cheaper pound for pound than a Civic and frankly, a better investment.

Favorite Features

- gas mileage - heat and cooling system - the manual transmission - quiet ride

Suggested Improvements

- no tachometer - needs better positioned cup holders - from the back, the car looks homely