1999 Nissan Sentra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sentra model:
Nissan does not compare to Honda, Toyota or Subaru
By willard5 on 02/15/14 17:11 PM (PST)

1999 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought this Nissan new. It ran well and was very dependable...until the odometer turned 100,000. Then, magically, it became a money pit. Within one year, I replaced CV joints, tie rods, alternator, water pump...and then it developed an aversion to starting. That's when we parted ways.

Perfect Teenage car!
By fm5720 on 03/01/11 21:57 PM (PST)

1999 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

This is it. This is the car for any first time drivers. This is the teen car! Nothing too fancy, but it gets you from A to B. The problems though was that I had a crack in the coolant pipe. I have an exhaust leak right now and it drags my rpm down because of it. The driver window is dying and I can't open the trunk with my key. Some rust spots here and there. My belt is making an awful squeaking noise and I think I'm going to have to change my alternator soon. In all this car holds up to the abuse of the teenage driver. Great gas mileage, great on highway, easy to negate in almost every tight spot. Its good car but not perfect....unless its for a teenager.

1999 Nissan Sentra GXE limited edition
By Marshall Carpenter on 12/05/09 06:57 AM (PST)

1999 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

Got this car for my 19th birthday. very nice car just needs a couple of things. speed sensor went out. for only 115 hp it gets the job done. needs speakers. back passenger window is off. front right door dosent open from outside. Driver power window button is not working right. needs new front and back bumper, and paint but other than these problems car runs great for almost 200,000 thousand miles.

Best Car Ever
By snoboardfreak04 on 06/16/09 09:01 AM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

I purchased this vehicle from a single owner. It is GREAT in the snow. It's well maintained and regularly gets 40+ MPG city and 50's MPG on the highway. I'm not sure how it's fuel rating is only shown as 29. Only major mechanical issues up to 150,000 miles have been 2 sets of struts, 1 water pump, and a clutch replacement. It's an absolutely amazing, reliable car.

great until 150,000miles
By stacybelanger on 04/14/09 08:03 AM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

Not one problem until 153,000 miles. Drove great, then December 2008 my starter went out. After that was fixed I've had to replace the battery cables, and alternator. Right now it won't start and I can't figure out what it is. The cupholders stink, and forget about fitting 3 car seats in the back! The trunk rattled when I had 12" subs in there, but it sounded great when I fixed that.

Overall a good buy
By Alex on 05/29/08 21:35 PM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car 3 1/2 years ago when it was already 5 years old. I've had a few repairs done, nothing out of the ordinary for its age. The gas mileage is amazing, although when you have the a/c on it affects acceleration and braking.

Attached to this car.
By N.Matthews on 03/10/08 12:43 PM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

I have had this car for about seven years and have only had little things go wrong with it until very recently. With only a few breakdowns in 7 yrs. I have to say it's usually very reliable. I haven't gotten around to putting it in the shop for this latest breakdown but I'm hoping it's only something minor. (It's never cost over $400 to fix before!) In the meantime I'm driving an SUV and missing my Nissan Sentra tremendously. I never realized how comfortable my Sentra was until I've had to drive that thing. I can't wait to get it fixed and back on the road. Terrific car!! It's perfect to drive around town or for a long trip but I hate to load groceries in it!

Review after 5 years, 80k miles
By t-bizzzle on 02/16/08 12:47 PM (PST)

1999 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 60k miles on it and now it has 140k. It's been good to me, but it has its quirks. I'm 6-2, 230, and I find this car comfortable. Its been a pretty reliable car too. The only breakdown was when my water pump went out. Beware that this car has trouble starting at high altitude. I need to put my foot on the gas when I start my car or it will stall and will not start up again. If I forget to put my foot on the gas when I start it I have to floor it and crank the engine for about 60 seconds. I've only forgotten to hit the gas about 3 times, so its not that big of a deal to me.

This Model Lives Up
By Nat on 02/15/08 08:50 AM (PST)

1999 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 1999 Nissan GXE new right off the lot. It handled great and fit my budget plus the warranty was decent. I added a rear spoiler and a nose mask to give it a somewhat sportier look. Other than basic maintenance (oil changes, new tires, etc.) I have yet to be let down by this car. And it has traveled quit a bit from state-to-state! Only issues: I had water leaking onto the front passenger driving mats when it rained heavily and the driver side power window died around 50000 miles. Neither was a major problem to fix. Most recently the key started sticking in the trunk (65000 miles) and the driver side visor broke (80000) but those are not major or costly issues to deal with.

1999 Nissan Sentra GXE
By John Aviero on 11/25/07 18:01 PM (PST)

1999 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 65000 miles on it. I put 30000 miles on it so far. It runs well, no problems so far. Gas mileage is good. This car is very reliable, I would recommend it to anyone who wants a cheap and reliable car.