1999 Nissan Sentra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sentra model:
Nissan does not compare to Honda, Toyota or Subaru
By willard5 on 02/15/14 17:11 PM (PST)

1999 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought this Nissan new. It ran well and was very dependable...until the odometer turned 100,000. Then, magically, it became a money pit. Within one year, I replaced CV joints, tie rods, alternator, water pump...and then it developed an aversion to starting. That's when we parted ways.

Perfect Teenage car!
By fm5720 on 03/01/11 21:57 PM (PST)

1999 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

This is it. This is the car for any first time drivers. This is the teen car! Nothing too fancy, but it gets you from A to B. The problems though was that I had a crack in the coolant pipe. I have an exhaust leak right now and it drags my rpm down because of it. The driver window is dying and I can't open the trunk with my key. Some rust spots here and there. My belt is making an awful squeaking noise and I think I'm going to have to change my alternator soon. In all this car holds up to the abuse of the teenage driver. Great gas mileage, great on highway, easy to negate in almost every tight spot. Its good car but not perfect....unless its for a teenager.

1999 Nissan Sentra GXE limited edition
By Marshall Carpenter on 12/05/09 06:57 AM (PST)

1999 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

Got this car for my 19th birthday. very nice car just needs a couple of things. speed sensor went out. for only 115 hp it gets the job done. needs speakers. back passenger window is off. front right door dosent open from outside. Driver power window button is not working right. needs new front and back bumper, and paint but other than these problems car runs great for almost 200,000 thousand miles.

Best Car Ever
By snoboardfreak04 on 06/16/09 09:01 AM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

I purchased this vehicle from a single owner. It is GREAT in the snow. It's well maintained and regularly gets 40+ MPG city and 50's MPG on the highway. I'm not sure how it's fuel rating is only shown as 29. Only major mechanical issues up to 150,000 miles have been 2 sets of struts, 1 water pump, and a clutch replacement. It's an absolutely amazing, reliable car.

great until 150,000miles
By stacybelanger on 04/14/09 08:03 AM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

Not one problem until 153,000 miles. Drove great, then December 2008 my starter went out. After that was fixed I've had to replace the battery cables, and alternator. Right now it won't start and I can't figure out what it is. The cupholders stink, and forget about fitting 3 car seats in the back! The trunk rattled when I had 12" subs in there, but it sounded great when I fixed that.

10 years old and still going strong
By CdnTeacher on 12/27/08 14:06 PM (PST)

1999 Nissan Sentra XE 4dr Sedan

I am selling my Sentra after driving it since 2002 (bought off a lease). Overall, it's been a super car: great gas mileage, no major repairs. Not the sportiest looking and very bare bones inside, but it's taken me many miles and been very reliable. A/C stopped working last summer (not fixed), trunk no longer openable by key, some rust on body. Had to fix clutch, A/C once before in 2002, brakes but other than that, no major problems.

Amazing
By ashley12345 on 11/17/08 14:33 PM (PST)

1999 Nissan Sentra XE 4dr Sedan

Can't deny love for this car! Great first car, original owner had it stored in garage. It only had 72,000 miles on it when bought! Prime condition, a lot of zing for small car!

Overall a good buy
By Alex on 05/29/08 21:35 PM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car 3 1/2 years ago when it was already 5 years old. I've had a few repairs done, nothing out of the ordinary for its age. The gas mileage is amazing, although when you have the a/c on it affects acceleration and braking.

180K and going
By red chocobo on 05/21/08 12:19 PM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Sentra SE Limited 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used 2003, 91K and now I added 90K to it. Mean time, I took the car to the shop maybe 10 times or so. aircondition circuit $30, starter $200, PW window switch $100, exhaust leak 3 times, 250, front O2 $60. That is about it. Never stopped running, never fail to start, great for gas, and note that this care is the easiest car to change the oil filter. I do not think many people are interested in buying 99 sentra now, but I must say that you shuold by a manual shift, it goes OK over 2000 RPM, but if you really want to drive, you need to control the engine rev over 4000.

Great car
By Agbhlhs on 03/29/08 11:45 AM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Sentra XE 4dr Sedan

I have had this car for 1 year and 5 months and have had only slight problems. I had to replace my struts and exhaust manifold gasket. I also had to replace the ac compressor after 100000 miles. Otherwise the car has been great. I will have to replace the cv boot. I love this car it has been great!!

1 2 3 4 5 next »