Used 1999 Nissan Sentra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Nissan Sentra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sentra model:

Was okay until 165k miles
By nickrose623

1999 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

This car is ok. That's it. I got this car because somebody t-boned my 97 legacy wagon and wow what a difference. This car is slow and lacks remarkable power. I like this car but it has way too many drawbacks. The automatic (wouldn't let me select it) transmission is and has always been iffy. It never knows what gear to go into and it's not good at all for overtaking other cars on the highway. It eats brakes and I mean eats considering I had to replace the rotors twice within 4000 miles and that's an issue considering I'm a light driver. The distributer has also gone twice. I'd certainly go somewhere else with my money.

Sporty look is ok. Nice handling

The seats are absolutely awful, no center armrest. headliner sucks

Nissan does not compare to Honda, Toyota or Subaru
By willard5

1999 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought this Nissan new. It ran well and was very dependable...until the odometer turned 100,000. Then, magically, it became a money pit. Within one year, I replaced CV joints, tie rods, alternator, water pump...and then it developed an aversion to starting. That's when we parted ways.

Car was agile and somewhat fun to drive.

Seats were as hard as park benches. Does Ford design seats for Nissan?

Perfect Teenage car!
By fm5720

1999 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

This is it. This is the car for any first time drivers. This is the teen car! Nothing too fancy, but it gets you from A to B. The problems though was that I had a crack in the coolant pipe. I have an exhaust leak right now and it drags my rpm down because of it. The driver window is dying and I can't open the trunk with my key. Some rust spots here and there. My belt is making an awful squeaking noise and I think I'm going to have to change my alternator soon. In all this car holds up to the abuse of the teenage driver. Great gas mileage, great on highway, easy to negate in almost every tight spot. Its good car but not perfect....unless its for a teenager.

mpg

Sound System.

1999 Nissan Sentra GXE limited edition
By Marshall Carpenter

1999 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

Got this car for my 19th birthday. very nice car just needs a couple of things. speed sensor went out. for only 115 hp it gets the job done. needs speakers. back passenger window is off. front right door dosent open from outside. Driver power window button is not working right. needs new front and back bumper, and paint but other than these problems car runs great for almost 200,000 thousand miles.

horsepower is the real only problem.

Best Car Ever
By snoboardfreak04

1999 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

I purchased this vehicle from a single owner. It is GREAT in the snow. It's well maintained and regularly gets 40+ MPG city and 50's MPG on the highway. I'm not sure how it's fuel rating is only shown as 29. Only major mechanical issues up to 150,000 miles have been 2 sets of struts, 1 water pump, and a clutch replacement. It's an absolutely amazing, reliable car.

reliability

It's suspension is a little soft, but it is an economy car, so you would expect such performance.