Why don't they still make them like this?
By Royale W. Cheese on
1998 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan
This has been a fantastic vehicle since I bought it in late 04. Bought it at 90k or so, no problems at 137k. The only issues I have had from it were the ones I discovered on leaving the used car lot: an oil leak from the main seal and some electrical issues that the previous owner tried to fix himself. Those have been the only things I have had to fix or have fixed since driving the vehicle, apart from oil and brakes. It got over 40 mpg highway when "new"; now it is closer to 30 mpg, but still not bad. Plenty of power for driving in hilly areas, AC blows cold enough for this Alabamian (in Seattle), hauls LOTS of stuff. Very solid little car.
Favorite Features
Reliability of the powertrain and overall build quality. Large cargo area, with fold down seats for long stuff. More solid feel to it than any of the Happy-Meal-type cars I test drive these days. I suppose the technical term is "high-quality plastics".
Suggested Improvements
Put a decent cupholder in it next time. This one blocks my (aftermarket) radio, and pushes buttons on it if I start or stop too fast :-P Also, there's not a really good place to clip on a clippy cupholder, either.