1998 Nissan Sentra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sentra model:
Standard Econobox
By Snakey on 11/16/05 03:17 AM (PST)

1998 Nissan Sentra 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for 3 years, well just over, and it has been a great car for me (read: college student, poor, etc.) I put 64k miles on it in the first two years and with basic maintenance it's been wonderfully reliable, starts every time and stops just as well. Here are the negs: not very peppy, even with a manual and after-market intake (had to try SOMETHING to speed it up!), the interior is noisy at 70MPH+ but that's expected, cup holders are self defeating as they block radio and climate control, STD comes with NO frills, and I mean NONE! Oh, and the stereo bracket might as well have been made for stereo theives, so easy to take. Good car for college and High School students.

Very Nice First Car
By Brina on 11/11/05 17:20 PM (PST)

1998 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

Well we have had this car for over a year now and bought it used. I liked the styling and the interior is more roomy then the newer models 2002 and above. The only problems with is is of course the oil changes and breaks but lets see the alternator,battery and starter. Could have been because we upgraded the stereo system with amp and sub without upgrading those first.oh yeah and the front axles but my husband does deliver pizzas in the hot Arizona desert. other then that the cost has not been that much and it drives much better then my moms 2002. I would highly recommend this car for the first time buyer or for the college student.

Bring it Back
By edwphx1 on 08/04/05 13:55 PM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Sentra GLE 4dr Sedan

you need to bring this one back it has great gas milage great car to get around in. I have 84,0000 miles on my vehicle and the only things I have had done to it is changing the tires and a 1 brake job. Not too shabby.

Great basic car
By MaryB on 06/29/05 16:53 PM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

This is a reliable car with many comforts. The air conditioning still functions after 7 years, as do the power windows and locks. Maintenance has been minimal - brakes and exhaust - about what you would expect. I will probably buy another Sentra when this one goes to the auto graveyard.

Long-time Datsun/Nissan owner
By Bill in PA on 05/14/05 00:18 AM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Sentra XE 4dr Sedan

I bought this Sentra new in 1998 and now have 75,000 miles on it. In the seven years I have had it, it has been extremely reliable. It is good basic transportation, and gets excellent mileage. It has cost very little to maintain. I chose it over the Toyota Corolla because it was $2000 cheaper due to a rebate that Nissan had at the time. Over the years, I have had six Datsun/Nissan cars; a 1972 510 wagon, a 1979 210, a 1981 510 wagon, a 1986 Sentra, and a 1991 King Cab pickup. All went to over 100,000 miles. The older ones ran forever, but rusted beyond repair after around 100,000 miles. Japanese manufacturers seem to have solved this problem; I see very few 'rustmobiles" anymore.

Not a happy camper
By carrotshibby on 10/15/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

i know how to take care of a vehicle. no matter what i did though this car gave me trouble. the engine went out without warning at 94000 miles. ive spent 2000 dollars besides that in the last 6 months in upkeep alone. it is very slow, small and uncomfortable on long trips.

A great little car!
By Tavel on 08/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

We just bought this car, but we're quite impressed with it. I own a '92 sentra SE-R, and this is just an addition to the family. First impressions at the dealer were a bit iffy, but once home we changed the air filter and oil and the car came to life! It doesn't stack up to my SE-R in performance by any means, but it is far more economical and much more comfortable. This is a perfect commuter and road trip vehicle, it is economical and comfortable, this car is still fun to drive, and feels just like my coupe.

Economical Car
By Sandie Wagner on 07/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

I needed a new car for every day use. Fuel economy was important. My first choice was a Corolla, but decided to try the Sentra. Manual said you could lock all doors with key, but that was not true. Dealership played dumb. Battery had to be replaced after 3.5 years. Radio backlight started flickering, then went out a few years ago. Rust from beneath paint a year ago. A/C drains power for acceleration or going up hill. Dashboard cup holders useless. Obstructs use of radio and climate controls. Great gas mileage, low motor noise, starts every time.

4x4 Sentra
By Zaurka on 06/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

This car is amazing, it never stop preforming. No mechanical problems what so ever, and trust me when i say i put it through hell. This car can take a beating like no other car can. Ive been offroading with my sentra many times and its still purring, great for e- brake slides, this car will not flip! This is a VERY dependable car, can take a beating, hell of fun to drive. Corninering is ok, but its no abs system with the design of the car makes it awesome for doin narly stuff on the road. Get this car... you will not regret it.

I love my Sentra!
By AustinTX on 04/19/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car because I wanted fuel economy. I've driven it on trips into the mountains and averaged 40mpg, which I'm thrilled with. It averages 35mpg, and of course the tradeoff is that the power is a bit on the low side. Looks good with a spoiler, and I love the cruise control. Not very roomy for long-legged people (6'2 and above), but it works. Fun to drive, and extremely reliable. I have had no major repairs to do - oil changes and maintenance on breaks is all. Very quiet. Back seats could use more room.