1998 Nissan Sentra Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Nissan Sentra - Consumer Reviews

1998 Sentra Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sentra model:

Sort Reviews by

Standard Econobox
By Snakey

1998 Nissan Sentra 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for 3 years, well just over, and it has been a great car for me (read: college student, poor, etc.) I put 64k miles on it in the first two years and with basic maintenance it's been wonderfully reliable, starts every time and stops just as well. Here are the negs: not very peppy, even with a manual and after-market intake (had to try SOMETHING to speed it up!), the interior is noisy at 70MPH+ but that's expected, cup holders are self defeating as they block radio and climate control, STD comes with NO frills, and I mean NONE! Oh, and the stereo bracket might as well have been made for stereo theives, so easy to take. Good car for college and High School students.

Favorite Features

Reliable as any Toyota or Honda, great fuel economy, even with a little collision damage it refuses to rust much. I have been hard on this car to say the least (as most young people are) and it has never let me down.

Suggested Improvements

It's a little late to tell Nissan what to do with the Sentra (the new generation is garbage IMO) but it could stand to have a slightly bigger engine, maybe triple door seals for sound deadening, and for pete's sakes put a TACHOMETER in the 1.6 litres, not just the 2.0's!

best bang for your buck
By therupster

1998 Nissan Sentra 4dr Sedan

We bought this car in '98. No A/C, no power anything. Put in our own radio three times and going on the fourth (stolen). I don't agree that it has much pep. But it is very reliable. I just put in a new battery, and probably only spent $450 on it in 5 years (including tires and brakes -- not including other regular maintainance and theft repair). Great car, easy to work on, and generally cheap parts. I get 40 miles/gallon when we drive out East.

Favorite Features

Reliability & economy. (1st set of brakes replaced at 70k and the rear ones are still good). Really like the clutch.

Suggested Improvements

Looks. The but is just ugly. Engine is a little slow