1997 Nissan Sentra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sentra model:
Few Major Problems
By aj2001 on 04/24/08 09:47 AM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

I too have had issues with the windshield wipers which is seriously annoying. Other than that the only major problem i've had is that I had to replace the starter three times and the computer went out twice. I don't know if I bought a rebuilt one, but I was really angry that it wasn't as reliable as I had thought.

1997 Nissan Sentra
By osgoodusa on 04/21/08 10:18 AM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

This is the second worst care I have owned. out of about 15 cars and pickups. At 88000 miles, the fuel system failed completely, the steering and front suspension are going out, and the timing chain is about to go. The oil and filter have been faithfully changed every 3000 miles. It is a strange combination of poor performance and bad gas mileage. Yuk!

What a Car!
By Bret Bowman on 04/15/08 21:18 PM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

I'm preparing to put 185,000 miles on my 97 Sentra and it still drives like almost new. I do need to change the struts, tie rod ends, and a few other minor things, but after 185,000 miles you expect to need to do that. It's been the most reliable car I've ever owned and was cheap to purchase when it was one year old. I installed a remote start alarm with windows roll up modules, a decent stereo and it's now a fun car to drive. I love this car and how reliable it is. I especially love that it has a timing CHAIN (not belt). Not sure why any auto maker is still using timing belts. Thank you Nissan for quality vehicle that lasts and lasts!

Great Workhorse! Fuel Efficient!
By Raj on 01/14/08 07:47 AM (PST)

1997 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

I've been the original owner of this impressive & amazingly reliable car. It's taken me through school, camping, and long road trips accumulating 232,000 miles. Apart from the routine tires, battery, and brakepads I've only had to replace the alternator & starter within the last 30,000 miles. That means this baby took me 200,000 miles before I had to do anything more than replace the oil!! I've outgrown it now and need a truck for the stuff I like to haul around, but I sure wish I could keep it for my routine commutes as the gas mileage is fantastic getting 30-33mpg in city. Nissan did good when they sent this one off the production line.

Not so good
By Danielle on 04/18/07 20:39 PM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Sentra XE 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car in 2000 with 30,000 miles on it. About 3.5 years into having the car, the check engine light went on and stayed on. It doesn't really give me a problem and it goes off in the winter and back on in the summer. I've had to replace a lot on this car though. I've replaced the brakes about 4 times, the fan belt twice, the starter once, the fuel pump once and the MAP sensor once. I don't know if the car is garbage or if I just drive it hard. I do know that I wouldn't buy another Nissan Sentra, it served it's purpose at 19 years old, but now being 26 I've grown tired of it's lack of power and size. It's now up to 108,000 and when it dies there will be no more repairs.

Nissan Sentra
By runchamp on 02/24/06 03:30 AM (PST)

1997 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

Reliable. Very strong exterior I have been in an accident that involved the back bumper and you can't even tell. you should see the other car!

A solidly built, reliable compact car.
By Josh R. on 05/20/05 12:47 PM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

This is an unobtrusive little compact sedan that doesn't ask much of its owner - but admittedly doesn't inspire love and affection in turn. This is not a Mini or a Corvette we have here, though - it's fuel-thrifty transportation, a Point A-to-B car. Pickup from the 1.6L inline-four when coupled to the automatic is unimpressive until the engine kicks into high RPMs. Adding an aftermarket intake and exhaust system really helps. Brakes are a tad small for the vehicle but are serviceable. Interior is probably the best thing: good use of space, fit and finish is nice for a compact. Standard seats, though, have no lumbar or lateral support whatsoever. Overall, not bad-made in the USA too!

Best bang for your buck!
By Jamie on 03/22/05 17:55 PM (PST)

1997 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

Amazing little car! Fun to drive, great on gas, and it won't nickel and dime you. I bought this car used with 50k miles, it just hit 80k, and I have had no problems with it. An incredibly reliable vehicle- this car has been nothing but good to me. The perfect car for the college commuter.

Great on gas, but has a few problems
By SHEILA on 01/25/05 18:16 PM (PST)

1997 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 1997 Nissan Sentra in 1998,overall it has been very reliable. The good: not even the harsh winters of Minnesots have stopped this car from running. Also, you can't beat the gas mileage. The bad: I've had consistent problems with the windshield wipers not working, and the check engine light coming on. In January 2005, the master cylinder went out. The cost to repair this, plus get new rear brakes was over $1,000. This has been the only major repair I've needed, but I am wondering if this is the beginning of the end for this car-which still has less than 100,000 miles on it. One warning, this is a tiny car. My significant other, at 6" 4'looks like a circus clown trying to fold his frame into the passenger seat.

Good car for the money
By mholly99 on 07/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

Bought my Sentra used with 94000 miles on it. Good reliable little car with GREAT gas mileage. No problems so far and I got a great deal on it. Perfect for a college student like me.