1997 Nissan Sentra Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sentra model:
1997 NISSAN SENTRA
By dora5 on 05/16/12 16:50 PM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Sentra Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I owned the GXE Automatic for 14 years until my accident, and loved it. There are still many on the road. This was a great car!

Gas mileage is good
By clb891 on 07/24/11 20:58 PM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Sentra Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

i have the AT..bought this car used from some man whose daughter hit a deer in it(driver side headlight area). i got it fixed for a good price. It has 250k miles but it runs GREAT. Good car for someone living on a tight budget(im a college Kid) i use it to go back and forth to school mostly and gas mileage is still good. i can go almost 2wks on a full tank. with only a little hp and torque, it really knows how to use it even at 65+ it still goes strong(better than my friends 08 civic). i am 5'10'' so room is an issue especially when riding people in the back.

Like it
By tata201037 on 08/25/10 17:36 PM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Sentra Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I love my Sentra, I got it for my 16th birthday. It gets great gas mileage, about 35 mpg, when on empty it only takes $25 to fill it up. It has pretty good get up and go for a four cylinder, faster than a honda civic off the go. The seats are kinda stiff but other than that its a nice interior. It has power everything, and even keyless remote entry. There pretty nice cars for their year. I personally like it better than its Toyota or honda competitors. Fun cars to play with and customize. One thing i don't like about it is that its not very safe, no ABS, no side-compact airbags, very light design, and poor stability on the road. Great car, fast for what it is, and attractive for what it is.

"Old Reliable"
By dustnh on 03/27/10 21:10 PM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Sentra Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I got this car when I was 17 after my car was totaled an accident. I always thought it was a good car as a teenager but after my husband & I slowly got new cars, the Sentra ended up just sitting for about a year. My newer car bit the dust after 7 months of a 100 mile round trip commute every day. My husband & I got the Sentra tuned up & it is as good as new (with 167,000 mi)! We did have to do some regular repairs while we drove it in the early 2000s, with one repair costing approx. $600. However, the car is a gem that is well worth doing a few minor repairs to in order to avoid a car payment while we save up for a new one. I would definitely buy another Nissan, no doubt about it.

Great College Car
By Felt32 on 02/07/10 04:53 AM (PST)

1997 Nissan Sentra Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I really enjoyed this car for 6 years until I wrecked it. This was a very good car for my college years. No complaints.

A solid, reliable, used car.
By J.R. on 09/07/09 12:33 PM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Sentra Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

Have had my '97 GXE for seven years, and it has been an excellent choice in a used car. Just under 100,000 miles on it, and it delivers a solid 27 MPG in mostly city traffic and needs very little maintenance. This is a commuter car, though, no doubt. The 1.6L engine and auto transmission are pretty well paired and give good power delivery. Seats in the 1997 models are lacking, particularly in lumbar support. Spirited driving is definitely not recommended, as you'll quickly hit the limitations of a soft suspension and too-small brakes for the class. Still, if you can find a '95-99 with low miles that hasn't been flogged hard, it's a good choice for a kid's first car or a station car.

She'll Be Missed
By Long-time driver on 07/22/09 12:42 PM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Sentra Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

After 12 years and 208,000 miles, the old girl finally gave up the ghost (timing chain and more - would have cost almost three times the car's worth to fix). But over that time, I only had two major repairs - one involving the oxygen sensor right after the warranty expired (of course) and another a few years ago. And I drove this car everywhere. The visors fell off, the headliner was drooping, the bumper was dinged and a tail light had electrical issues - and still she drove like a dream. No get-up-and go, but that's not what this car's about. If you find one in good cosmetic shape, buy it for your kid - great starter car, even 12 years later.

171k miles
By 171k miles on 03/30/09 16:46 PM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Sentra Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used with 171k miles for my girlfriend to drive. I paid $1800.00 and the car has new tires and paint. I invested another $100.00 in a radio and a hubcap (both missing). I took the car to my mechanic who suggested an alignment, then took the car for CA emmissions. It passed. Since then I have had to replace clogged windshield washer sprayers.

Can't beat it with a stick
By Roy Yeager on 11/15/08 19:22 PM (PST)

1997 Nissan Sentra Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

We bought this car new in 1997. It is a 5 speed with the 1.6 engine. 203,000 miles later it is still a good solid car that has had nothing but normal wear repairs for a car with this many miles. After it hit 170,000 I have replaced 1 starter, EGR valve, oxygen sensor and driver side axle. It developed a main seal leak at 180,000 which I haven't fixed yet but will. With that done I would drive it cross country. Still has the original clutch. 38 MPG average and 42 MPG on the interstate running 75 to 80. It's part of the family.

Few Major Problems
By aj2001 on 04/24/08 09:47 AM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Sentra Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I too have had issues with the windshield wipers which is seriously annoying. Other than that the only major problem i've had is that I had to replace the starter three times and the computer went out twice. I don't know if I bought a rebuilt one, but I was really angry that it wasn't as reliable as I had thought.