Used 1996 Nissan Sentra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Nissan Sentra - Consumer Reviews

1996 Nissan Sentra

View reviews for a specific Sentra model:

Great car
By wd

1996 Nissan Sentra XE 4dr Sedan

This is a reliable vehicle that gets good mileage (33 mpg highway). It's dependable and also handles well. Overdrive provides decent acceleration for its size. It's a good commuter vehicle.

Favorite Features

Mileage, handling.

Suggested Improvements

Side impact safety.

Very cheap to drive
By keith

1996 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

When I first got my license I bought this car with around 175k miles on it. The car is a great commuter and definitely cheap to own and drive. I get around 31 MPG in the city and 41 MPG when traveling, so trips are no longer going to eat your banking account. I carpooled with 3 other people to Chicago, 5 hours away, and paid about 12 dollars for a 2-way trip.

Favorite Features

Roomy for a small car (I'm 6'1 and no complaints or my 6'3 brother), fairly fun for a 115 hp car, reliable (only needed 2 oil changes in 5k miles).

Suggested Improvements

Outer styling.

Old reliable
By Chris

1996 Nissan Sentra XE 4dr Sedan

Bought this car new, and as of 2007 it's still going. I got it when money was tight, and have never regretted it. It's not fast, but it can be fun to drive. At 183,000 miles, it's not perfect. I replaced the ECU (computer) early on, and it's needed 2 alternators for some reason. I got a clutch at 150,000. I replaced the shocks around 120,000. Other than that it's just oil changes and brake pads. The seats are worn, the body's dinged, the paint's worn off the wipers and a few other spots, the rear defrost turns itself off, the headlight lenses are dim, the radio display is spotty, and the buttons are sticky from the poorly-placed cup holder, but it starts every morning and off we go!

Favorite Features

Mileage, reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Tachometer, voltage gauge, floor mats.

Rusty but trusty
By D-murray

1996 Nissan Sentra GLE 4dr Sedan

I stopped taking care of this car about two years ago and can't kill it. It has <150K miles on it. Rust started as a couple small bubbles in paint and EXPLODED over the last 18months. Only thing I ever did to this thing in over five years and 70k miles is replace spark plug wires, and of course brakes and tires.

Favorite Features

Good cheap transportation

Best car Ever
By James Armstrong

1996 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

This car has been in the family for ever my Aunt bought it brand new and had no problems with it but didnt take care of it so her new husband made her get a new car. well my Uncle bought it for my Cousin and fixed all that was wrong. Well now ten years later and 142,000 i own it because my cousin got a new car to go off to college in i bought it from her for $50 and it has been worth it. just had it in to be worked on and the mechanic said it's the best car he has seen in a long time he said its a great car and will be for many years. I love it never regret the purchase even though it was only $50 it is an awesome car and love it a lot

Favorite Features

Gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

None