1996 Nissan Sentra Consumer Reviews 3

1996 Nissan Sentra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sentra model:
Am I the only one??
By dprentiss on 11/11/04 22:07 PM (PST)

1996 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

I've had my sentra 6 years. I am the second owner of this "piggy bank". It seems everytime I think I've fixed a problem, another shows up. Paint on bumpers has peeled off, a/c and power options don't work!!!! gets mighty hot in FL!! So far replaced distributor 3 months after purchase, replaced engine last year, alternator 3 times, cv joints and the headliner just last month, along with all the "normal wear and tear" - brakes, tires etc. This car has 165,000 miles.. so I guess I can't complain too much.. Good first car... but would expect more from a Nissan in the future.. I could have bought 2 cars for the amount of money I've put into this one!!!!

Sentra Rocks
By jcarlson on 05/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

I have owned my Nissan Sentra for 5 years now and I love it. I have had no problems at all with the car.

Original Owner
By proud nissan owner on 03/04/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

I have had this car eight years... I have replaced the tires, 2 shocks, alternator, battery, and catalytic converter (the O2 sensor rusted off). Not bad at all for 8 years use. The belts are not toothed and tend to squeek unless you tighten them often or replace them every couple of years. I believe this car will go another 100k miles and still look good.

Just can't get rid of it!
By D Kurtz on 06/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

Purchased this car with my parent's help when I turned 16. Then it was a fairly inexpensive, economical car. Not much has changed. I just hit 100k miles. Only problems have been replacing an O2 sensor at about 30,000 miles, routine brake work, and rust starting to eat away at my door jams (I drive on salty roads about 5 months a year though.) I have been looking for an excuse to go out and get a bigger and better car, but I just can't find a reason good enough. This car has been worth far more than I paid for it. Not the coolest car on the market, but definitely a good buy.

Reliable
By sunnyface5 on 05/31/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Sentra XE 4dr Sedan

I purchased this veh 3yrs ago with 75,000 miles - I now have 170,000. With regular oil changes, maintenance, this car has gotten me though difficult times

NissanSentra96
By Hippo on 04/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

Very Good car for the price

NissanSentra96
By hippo on 04/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

Very Good car for the price

Good Car, Bad Trim
By Mamajones on 03/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used with 39000 miles and have NEVER had a major problem. It now has 109K and shows no signs of slowing. The major gripe we have is the interior is not as well designed as we would like. It seems that every couple of weeks we find a "mystery" piece of plastic or molding that fell off from somewhere. Also has problems with exterior paint chipping and slight rust. Paint is bubbling and peeling in spots. Good gas mileage. Averaged 33 mpg on the last long distance trip. We average about 300 miles per tank for normal driving. Would recommend as a good basic car.

190 K miles and it keeps running
By CharlieH on 02/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

7 year car, keep running, this is manual trans, with orginal clutch Replace only normal wear and tear items.. tires (now is the 4 set of tires) , brakes (now is on 3 set of the front disk pad, 2 set of rotor, rear brake shoe had been replaced once) spark plugs, fuel filter, etc.. The only problem is the alternator (last for 80 k miles only).. Now is on the third alternator !!

Little Econobox
By sky1 on 02/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Nissan Sentra XE 4dr Sedan

Mine's a stripper model, power nothing, 5spd. I'm not really attached to it. It has an ok amount of power, but you have to work to drive it fast. Handling again is alright, but nothing to brag about. Sryling again, nothing to brag about. The interior, boring and basic, well designed and built, but basic. I guess the only bragging rights this car has is an EPA rating of 30/40mpg (personally I average 30mpg over mostly city driving). Anyway, to be honest, I wish I had gotten a Honda Civic - they seem to have a little more character. The Sentra is a fine car - it's just boring, that's all.