Used 1996 Nissan Sentra XE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Nissan Sentra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sentra model:

my 1st car ever bought, out of 4 today!
By daddy-danny

1996 Nissan Sentra XE 4dr Sedan

Despite the fact that it was and still is a dull car, it was a ride or die! I bought this car for 1700 dollars, with 180,000 miles on it. It saved so much gas, and rode like a boss. I went to the bay area 3 times, and what not. But now that it has 230,000 miles, this car has faced a bit of problems. The catalytic converter is messed up, so it wont pass smog. But overall, this car has proved itself. I never had a tran problem, nor engine problem. It still turns on without hesitation, and still rides hard. I will always love the car for the memories I put in it, and the reliability.

Gas, reliability, compactness (ability to park anywhere).

Realistically, way too small on the inside, too plain, wished I would've got my hands on a GXE or 200ZX. outlook was too girly. I'm a dude trying to save a dollar, come on!

Great car
By wd

1996 Nissan Sentra XE 4dr Sedan

This is a reliable vehicle that gets good mileage (33 mpg highway). It's dependable and also handles well. Overdrive provides decent acceleration for its size. It's a good commuter vehicle.

Mileage, handling.

Side impact safety.

Old reliable
By Chris

1996 Nissan Sentra XE 4dr Sedan

Bought this car new, and as of 2007 it's still going. I got it when money was tight, and have never regretted it. It's not fast, but it can be fun to drive. At 183,000 miles, it's not perfect. I replaced the ECU (computer) early on, and it's needed 2 alternators for some reason. I got a clutch at 150,000. I replaced the shocks around 120,000. Other than that it's just oil changes and brake pads. The seats are worn, the body's dinged, the paint's worn off the wipers and a few other spots, the rear defrost turns itself off, the headlight lenses are dim, the radio display is spotty, and the buttons are sticky from the poorly-placed cup holder, but it starts every morning and off we go!

Mileage, reliability.

Tachometer, voltage gauge, floor mats.

Uber-econobox
By Nissan believer

1996 Nissan Sentra XE 4dr Sedan

Bought it new and have used it in many roles including commuter, truck and family transport. Have driven it hard with very little problems (clutch, alternator, O2 sensor) and now have 200,000 miles on it. Has plenty of zip with a 5-speed and still gets 40 miles per gallon on the highway. I've tried to get rid of it before but just can't part with it as it continues to provide outstanding service.

5-speed transmission, gear ratio, interior room for such small car, outstanding gas mileage

Cup holder placement, trunk could have been bigger, low fuel light would be nice.

Reliable
By sunnyface5

1996 Nissan Sentra XE 4dr Sedan

I purchased this veh 3yrs ago with 75,000 miles - I now have 170,000. With regular oil changes, maintenance, this car has gotten me though difficult times

Great on gas...

I got a great deal on this used car. I had intentions of only keeping it for 1yr but I don't think I can part with it.