Used 1996 Nissan Sentra GXE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Nissan Sentra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sentra model:

Bomb Proof Dependability
By Ray-ray

1996 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

This car doesn't ask any questions. Turn the key and drive unlimited. Worst fuel economy: 24 MPG Best: 42 MPG Average: 33 MPG. Top speed: 110 Snow driving: like a snowmobile but don't turn while braking. Miles driven in 14 years: 243,300. Black is a hard color to keep up. Had some Alternator troubles. Rebuilt alternators are hit or miss. Fast driving will blow the valve cover gasket. Not worth going over 80. better to sit in than an Altima. Good rear visibility, not like newer cars.

Quit on the highway, just an all around practical car.

Needs a tach so you know when to stop the valve cover from blowing up.

Fantastic Car
By DoubleA

1996 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

This was the first car my wife and I bought together. Got it from a second owner 8 years ago with 72,000 miles on it for $3,000. It's had all new gaskets, brakes/rotors, rebuilt transmission (I think a mechanic loosened the plug and it dropped out while driving), starter. The thing is with all that I've only put about $3,000 more into it to keep it going for this long. It just won't die. Now I'm in northern Michigan and I want a Subaru for the winters. This thing is a manual and gets 40 mpg, yes 40 and on all highway driving I've gotten up to 43mpg. It's now at 188,000 miles and it's good for at least another 30 or 40,000 more. Finding a new owner for it will be bitter sweet.

mpg, it won't die, cheap on repairs (I had torn CV boots and it would cost about $120 to get just the boots replaced or $230 for all NEW front axles on both sides) oh yeah it has brand new front axles now too.

well it's hard to accelerate with the AC on but who cares with 40 mpg, I just laugh and let the gas guzzler SUV's pass me by, there just aren't any real improvements you can make, my in laws have a 2000 GXE and mine is way better, just a great car.

Rust eats this car fast
By sentraowner

1996 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

Very reliable car but rust eats it very quick. My major complain is the metal used in the frame chasis and exterior and the paint, very bad quality. the interior plastics in the doors are also cheap and break easily. I've been driving it for 7 years bought it used with 70K, and only minor repairs due to a wife learning to drive messing up everything. Other than that you only need to change oil to this car every once in a while, very reliable. Rust eats this car very quick not only the cheap panels but the frame and chasis (but I'm in cold weather, no garaged, salt on streets) I think I'm better off paying for a frame replacement and body work than buying the cheap made new models.

very reliable car

paint stinks, plastics and metals used in frame chassis and body are low quality. This car dies by the body if driven in cold weather no garaged and salt in the streets but the engine will last forever.

Grat Car!!!
By martyj16

1996 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

I love my sentra. It gets fantastic mpg and has been very reliable. It has just had normal wear things need to be replaced even up to 170,000 miles!!!

Gas mileage. Reliability.

none. a great value.

12 years, 147,273 miles later
By topy1991

1996 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

I absolutely adore my little Nissan. Never had any major issues except the O2 sensor. This car even sat for over a year and I was told there was nothing wrong with it surprisingly, just need some TLC. It's got great pick up for an automatic 4 cylinder (gotta know how to use that overdrive button!). It handles quite well, I tend to drive it at no less than 65-85 mph and I get about 35-40 mpg depending on how well I top it off. The clear coat is peeling, it's got some scrapes and bruises, but I doubt I'll trade her in, I'm way too attached. This car has been there for me always and never left me stranded anywhere (knock on wood). Nissan knows how to make a car!

Gas mileage, great engine, pretty comfy too!!

Better clear coat would make the car look better I think, but aside from that keep up the great work!