1996 Nissan Sentra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sentra model:
Bomb Proof Dependability
By Ray-ray on 05/05/10 16:01 PM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

This car doesn't ask any questions. Turn the key and drive unlimited. Worst fuel economy: 24 MPG Best: 42 MPG Average: 33 MPG. Top speed: 110 Snow driving: like a snowmobile but don't turn while braking. Miles driven in 14 years: 243,300. Black is a hard color to keep up. Had some Alternator troubles. Rebuilt alternators are hit or miss. Fast driving will blow the valve cover gasket. Not worth going over 80. better to sit in than an Altima. Good rear visibility, not like newer cars.

Fantastic Car
By DoubleA on 12/14/09 19:03 PM (PST)

1996 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

This was the first car my wife and I bought together. Got it from a second owner 8 years ago with 72,000 miles on it for $3,000. It's had all new gaskets, brakes/rotors, rebuilt transmission (I think a mechanic loosened the plug and it dropped out while driving), starter. The thing is with all that I've only put about $3,000 more into it to keep it going for this long. It just won't die. Now I'm in northern Michigan and I want a Subaru for the winters. This thing is a manual and gets 40 mpg, yes 40 and on all highway driving I've gotten up to 43mpg. It's now at 188,000 miles and it's good for at least another 30 or 40,000 more. Finding a new owner for it will be bitter sweet.

Rust eats this car fast
By sentraowner on 09/02/09 21:10 PM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

Very reliable car but rust eats it very quick. My major complain is the metal used in the frame chasis and exterior and the paint, very bad quality. the interior plastics in the doors are also cheap and break easily. I've been driving it for 7 years bought it used with 70K, and only minor repairs due to a wife learning to drive messing up everything. Other than that you only need to change oil to this car every once in a while, very reliable. Rust eats this car very quick not only the cheap panels but the frame and chasis (but I'm in cold weather, no garaged, salt on streets) I think I'm better off paying for a frame replacement and body work than buying the cheap made new models.

Grat Car!!!
By martyj16 on 06/13/09 12:09 PM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

I love my sentra. It gets fantastic mpg and has been very reliable. It has just had normal wear things need to be replaced even up to 170,000 miles!!!

12 years, 147,273 miles later
By topy1991 on 01/18/09 13:24 PM (PST)

1996 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

I absolutely adore my little Nissan. Never had any major issues except the O2 sensor. This car even sat for over a year and I was told there was nothing wrong with it surprisingly, just need some TLC. It's got great pick up for an automatic 4 cylinder (gotta know how to use that overdrive button!). It handles quite well, I tend to drive it at no less than 65-85 mph and I get about 35-40 mpg depending on how well I top it off. The clear coat is peeling, it's got some scrapes and bruises, but I doubt I'll trade her in, I'm way too attached. This car has been there for me always and never left me stranded anywhere (knock on wood). Nissan knows how to make a car!

Reliable commuter car
By SaveGas on 09/23/08 12:10 PM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

My Sentra is now 12 years old, and I've had it for 8 years now. It's still fairly low mileage at 130k. I've also tried to ditch it many times before but never had a good reason to do it. It gets still 30+ mpg with automatic transmission. Interior is starting to deteriorate, such as fabric detaching and shredding. Other than that, I've never had major mechanical problems with it. Had to replace ERG valve, IAC valve, 3rd set of tires, 2nd pair of rotors, on 3rd battery, plus regular oil changes. Alternator, transmission and timing chain are still going strong. I have no complaints as it's taken me from college to graduate school, and so far all 5 jobs I've had!

She's a trusted friend!
By cathionwhidbey on 09/09/08 07:45 AM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

I have had my Sentra for 10 years and couldn't ask for a better car. In those 19 years we have replaced the normal stuff, brakes, tires, and the alternator twice. She had over 140,000 miles on her and I still get 32-33 miles per gallon. I bought a Hyundai Sonata 2 years ago and was only getting 22 miles to the gallon. The luxury was great but with the rise in gas I am back to my Sentra. I spiffed her out with bright red flames and she is feeling young again!! I can pay a lot more but couldn't ask for a car that has been more reliable and cost efficient.

Very cheap to drive
By keith on 05/15/07 18:09 PM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

When I first got my license I bought this car with around 175k miles on it. The car is a great commuter and definitely cheap to own and drive. I get around 31 MPG in the city and 41 MPG when traveling, so trips are no longer going to eat your banking account. I carpooled with 3 other people to Chicago, 5 hours away, and paid about 12 dollars for a 2-way trip.

Best car Ever
By James Armstrong on 09/27/06 07:06 AM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

This car has been in the family for ever my Aunt bought it brand new and had no problems with it but didnt take care of it so her new husband made her get a new car. well my Uncle bought it for my Cousin and fixed all that was wrong. Well now ten years later and 142,000 i own it because my cousin got a new car to go off to college in i bought it from her for $50 and it has been worth it. just had it in to be worked on and the mechanic said it's the best car he has seen in a long time he said its a great car and will be for many years. I love it never regret the purchase even though it was only $50 it is an awesome car and love it a lot

Nissan Sentra 96
By Monica Garcia on 12/27/05 13:37 PM (PST)

1996 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

I depend on this car for local traveling and far traveling. It has been a great car and I will get another Nissan Sentra. My mom has a Nissan Sentra Limited edition and it has been great too. My brother just got another Nissan Sentra 2001 and he is very happy as well.