Used 1996 Nissan Sentra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Nissan Sentra - Consumer Reviews

1996 Nissan Sentra

View reviews for a specific Sentra model:

Bomb Proof Dependability
By Ray-ray

1996 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

This car doesn't ask any questions. Turn the key and drive unlimited. Worst fuel economy: 24 MPG Best: 42 MPG Average: 33 MPG. Top speed: 110 Snow driving: like a snowmobile but don't turn while braking. Miles driven in 14 years: 243,300. Black is a hard color to keep up. Had some Alternator troubles. Rebuilt alternators are hit or miss. Fast driving will blow the valve cover gasket. Not worth going over 80. better to sit in than an Altima. Good rear visibility, not like newer cars.

Favorite Features

Quit on the highway, just an all around practical car.

Suggested Improvements

Needs a tach so you know when to stop the valve cover from blowing up.

Fantastic Car
By DoubleA

1996 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

This was the first car my wife and I bought together. Got it from a second owner 8 years ago with 72,000 miles on it for $3,000. It's had all new gaskets, brakes/rotors, rebuilt transmission (I think a mechanic loosened the plug and it dropped out while driving), starter. The thing is with all that I've only put about $3,000 more into it to keep it going for this long. It just won't die. Now I'm in northern Michigan and I want a Subaru for the winters. This thing is a manual and gets 40 mpg, yes 40 and on all highway driving I've gotten up to 43mpg. It's now at 188,000 miles and it's good for at least another 30 or 40,000 more. Finding a new owner for it will be bitter sweet.

Favorite Features

mpg, it won't die, cheap on repairs (I had torn CV boots and it would cost about $120 to get just the boots replaced or $230 for all NEW front axles on both sides) oh yeah it has brand new front axles now too.

Suggested Improvements

well it's hard to accelerate with the AC on but who cares with 40 mpg, I just laugh and let the gas guzzler SUV's pass me by, there just aren't any real improvements you can make, my in laws have a 2000 GXE and mine is way better, just a great car.

Rust eats this car fast
By sentraowner

1996 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

Very reliable car but rust eats it very quick. My major complain is the metal used in the frame chasis and exterior and the paint, very bad quality. the interior plastics in the doors are also cheap and break easily. I've been driving it for 7 years bought it used with 70K, and only minor repairs due to a wife learning to drive messing up everything. Other than that you only need to change oil to this car every once in a while, very reliable. Rust eats this car very quick not only the cheap panels but the frame and chasis (but I'm in cold weather, no garaged, salt on streets) I think I'm better off paying for a frame replacement and body work than buying the cheap made new models.

Favorite Features

very reliable car

Suggested Improvements

paint stinks, plastics and metals used in frame chassis and body are low quality. This car dies by the body if driven in cold weather no garaged and salt in the streets but the engine will last forever.

Grat Car!!!
By martyj16

1996 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

I love my sentra. It gets fantastic mpg and has been very reliable. It has just had normal wear things need to be replaced even up to 170,000 miles!!!

Favorite Features

Gas mileage. Reliability.

Suggested Improvements

none. a great value.

Greatest car in it's class
By sharkcity

1996 Nissan Sentra GLE 4dr Sedan

My parents have had a few of these that went over 300k. Bought when gas hit 4.39. Getting 42 mpg- I'm an easy rural driver. Love the sunroof. Bring on the $7 gas!!

Favorite Features

MPG, great interior room for size, tight steering, great value

Suggested Improvements

Not the easiest thing to get in and out of- it's so low to the ground- other car is a Jeep..