1996 Nissan Sentra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sentra model:
Bomb Proof Dependability
By Ray-ray on 05/05/10 16:01 PM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

This car doesn't ask any questions. Turn the key and drive unlimited. Worst fuel economy: 24 MPG Best: 42 MPG Average: 33 MPG. Top speed: 110 Snow driving: like a snowmobile but don't turn while braking. Miles driven in 14 years: 243,300. Black is a hard color to keep up. Had some Alternator troubles. Rebuilt alternators are hit or miss. Fast driving will blow the valve cover gasket. Not worth going over 80. better to sit in than an Altima. Good rear visibility, not like newer cars.

Fantastic Car
By DoubleA on 12/14/09 19:03 PM (PST)

1996 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

This was the first car my wife and I bought together. Got it from a second owner 8 years ago with 72,000 miles on it for $3,000. It's had all new gaskets, brakes/rotors, rebuilt transmission (I think a mechanic loosened the plug and it dropped out while driving), starter. The thing is with all that I've only put about $3,000 more into it to keep it going for this long. It just won't die. Now I'm in northern Michigan and I want a Subaru for the winters. This thing is a manual and gets 40 mpg, yes 40 and on all highway driving I've gotten up to 43mpg. It's now at 188,000 miles and it's good for at least another 30 or 40,000 more. Finding a new owner for it will be bitter sweet.

Rust eats this car fast
By sentraowner on 09/02/09 21:10 PM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

Very reliable car but rust eats it very quick. My major complain is the metal used in the frame chasis and exterior and the paint, very bad quality. the interior plastics in the doors are also cheap and break easily. I've been driving it for 7 years bought it used with 70K, and only minor repairs due to a wife learning to drive messing up everything. Other than that you only need to change oil to this car every once in a while, very reliable. Rust eats this car very quick not only the cheap panels but the frame and chasis (but I'm in cold weather, no garaged, salt on streets) I think I'm better off paying for a frame replacement and body work than buying the cheap made new models.

Grat Car!!!
By martyj16 on 06/13/09 12:09 PM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

I love my sentra. It gets fantastic mpg and has been very reliable. It has just had normal wear things need to be replaced even up to 170,000 miles!!!

Greatest car in it's class
By sharkcity on 05/29/09 18:36 PM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Sentra GLE 4dr Sedan

My parents have had a few of these that went over 300k. Bought when gas hit 4.39. Getting 42 mpg- I'm an easy rural driver. Love the sunroof. Bring on the $7 gas!!

The Boo-Mobile
By Boo-Mobile on 04/04/09 14:41 PM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Sentra GLE 4dr Sedan

I purchased this little car following Hurricane Katrina as my car was pretty trashed by the storm. I paid about $2500 for it and it was/is worth every penny. The car had about 11K when I got it. I just love my little car, its a 5 speed, its been very reliable and I haven't had to invest much $ into it. just before X-Mas 08 I had to replace the valve cover gasket, then the car started driving 'weird', I thought I needed an alignment but it was the front axle. After fixing that issue the car runs like a charm. I am pretty sure I need a complete tune-up because I am not getting the mileage I should. I am VERY happy with this little car!

12 years, 147,273 miles later
By topy1991 on 01/18/09 13:24 PM (PST)

1996 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

I absolutely adore my little Nissan. Never had any major issues except the O2 sensor. This car even sat for over a year and I was told there was nothing wrong with it surprisingly, just need some TLC. It's got great pick up for an automatic 4 cylinder (gotta know how to use that overdrive button!). It handles quite well, I tend to drive it at no less than 65-85 mph and I get about 35-40 mpg depending on how well I top it off. The clear coat is peeling, it's got some scrapes and bruises, but I doubt I'll trade her in, I'm way too attached. This car has been there for me always and never left me stranded anywhere (knock on wood). Nissan knows how to make a car!

my 1st car ever bought, out of 4 today!
By daddy-danny on 10/09/08 14:18 PM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Sentra XE 4dr Sedan

Despite the fact that it was and still is a dull car, it was a ride or die! I bought this car for 1700 dollars, with 180,000 miles on it. It saved so much gas, and rode like a boss. I went to the bay area 3 times, and what not. But now that it has 230,000 miles, this car has faced a bit of problems. The catalytic converter is messed up, so it wont pass smog. But overall, this car has proved itself. I never had a tran problem, nor engine problem. It still turns on without hesitation, and still rides hard. I will always love the car for the memories I put in it, and the reliability.

Reliable commuter car
By SaveGas on 09/23/08 12:10 PM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

My Sentra is now 12 years old, and I've had it for 8 years now. It's still fairly low mileage at 130k. I've also tried to ditch it many times before but never had a good reason to do it. It gets still 30+ mpg with automatic transmission. Interior is starting to deteriorate, such as fabric detaching and shredding. Other than that, I've never had major mechanical problems with it. Had to replace ERG valve, IAC valve, 3rd set of tires, 2nd pair of rotors, on 3rd battery, plus regular oil changes. Alternator, transmission and timing chain are still going strong. I have no complaints as it's taken me from college to graduate school, and so far all 5 jobs I've had!

She's a trusted friend!
By cathionwhidbey on 09/09/08 07:45 AM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

I have had my Sentra for 10 years and couldn't ask for a better car. In those 19 years we have replaced the normal stuff, brakes, tires, and the alternator twice. She had over 140,000 miles on her and I still get 32-33 miles per gallon. I bought a Hyundai Sonata 2 years ago and was only getting 22 miles to the gallon. The luxury was great but with the rise in gas I am back to my Sentra. I spiffed her out with bright red flames and she is feeling young again!! I can pay a lot more but couldn't ask for a car that has been more reliable and cost efficient.

1 2 3 4 5 next »