Used 1993 Nissan Sentra SE-R Consumer Reviews - 7 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Nissan Sentra SE-R - Consumer Reviews

SE-R 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (7 reviews )

SR20DE'd
By Dan P

1993 Nissan Sentra SE-R SE-R 2dr Coupe

First off this car is fast enough to take on just about anything on the road, 0-60 in 7.5 seconds. I recently got a AEM ram air intake.and a few other things, it does 0-60 in under 7 seconds now! All for less than $200. Stock is really quiet which was bad for me because I need to hear the car to shift best. The car has good looks for an late 80s design. Great stance even with stock suspension. The SR20DE engine in my car, and the SE-R is bulletproof, they say it can handle 500 HP of boost off stock internals you just have the transmission deburred, cryogenically treated, and two-step shot peened, and it should be good for just about anything you throw at it. I have seen these cars with over one million miles on them, and that was the weaker GA16DE! I get 29 MPG (not average, MPG is the same for both city and interstate). The car is a blast to drive, quick, and the handling is as good if not better than most modern cars. I have owned the car for three and a half years and spent $1900 in fixes on it, I bought the car for $1400 with 140000 miles on it in May of 2012. The seats are excellent, really comfortable, and really hold you snug going around corners. The stock wheels are nice looking, and only one of them leaks a little air after 23 years. Though it is not big by any means and probably not that safe (no air bags or anti-lock brakes), this car is good for families on a budget. The front seats fold, and slide forward on the passenger side, and easily slide forward on the drivers side(if you do not mind adjusting your seat, I let everyone in on the passenger side), so it is easy for loading up babies, and kids. Also there might not be much foot space in the back seat, but the genius engineers at Nissan raised the front seats up high enough to at least fit a size 14 mens foot under comfortably. Though my car is rusty, I know it will last for very many more years, until the frame breaks from rust, then or maybe even before then I am going to get a donor car to swap my engine and transmission into. If you plan on owning one, remember to red-line it once a month (to keep everything clean). The only things i do not like about the car, besides bad paint and rust, is with the A/C on it is as slow as a Honda Civic, I have seen dynos, the car makes stock numbers of 120 WHP and 119 WFT-LBS, and with the A/C on it makes 102 WHP and 112 WFT-LBS. Good thing the A/C does not work anyway in my car, also cruise control is broken, and it has bad 5th gear pop out (costs around $500 to fix) or you can just go with my solution, which is holding it in 5th gear up any incline.

Fun!
By campman

1993 Nissan Sentra SE-R SE-R 2dr Coupe

It is really fun to drive. Hands down the fastest and most fun car I have ever had or driven. I don't get very good city gas mileage but highway is great. If you see one in good condition buy it. Mine has 205,000 miles and still runs like new. The ride is very comfy. I get compliments all the time from people who ride or drive my car. They don't expect to be that fast. Buy it you won't regret it!

the performance!

get an aftermarket speakers and cd player. put some aftermarket performance parts on and it is worth it. oh and if you have kids it is a little small.

A Great Car with Great Potential
By Elliot

1993 Nissan Sentra SE-R SE-R 2dr Coupe

This was my first car, and I am its third owner. The SR20DE engine surprised me with it's great acceleration. Its quite a big engine for such a small car. Also its gearbox is wonderful, its gearing is very sporty. There's a pretty considerable aftermarket for the sentra se-r, so I've had no problem finding ways to improve its performance. The original engine was ruined due to a part mixup at the local Nissan dealer in which they sold me the wrong oil filter (it popped off while driving and oil starvation ruined the main bearings) so I swapped in an SR20DET. Its basically the same engine, but with a turbo straight from the factory. It fit perfectly. Now I have a sentra with ~250 horsepower.

SR20DET engine, sporty gearbox, light weight, distinguished yet covert "econobox" styling, good handling, Nissan parts compatibility (NX2000 front brake upgrade, Maxima rear brake upgrade, SR20DET engine swap), healthy aftermarket support, easy car to work on, lots of room in back seats and trunk.

Poor clear-coat quality, flexy chassis, interior plastic parts begin to rattle with age, steering wheel adjustment.

Its a sleeper!
By BigGuy

1993 Nissan Sentra SE-R SE-R 2dr Coupe

This little car gets up and goes, not
bad for a "economy" car. It'll beat
most of those fast looking cars and it
still gets 30 mpg when you want to be
civil. A little bit of a tight fit,
I'm 6'2 250, otherwise no complaints.

tranny shifts like butter, engine revs with smoothness and ease, all for next to nothing.

more adjustment on the steering wheel

This car simply rocks!!!
By trout

What can I say? There is and never
was a better compact sold in the U.S.
then the Sentra SE-R. Inexpensive,
yet outdrives cars twice it price.
That SR20DE motor is remarkable on its
own, and has the capacity to be even
better. The shifter finds its own way
to the gears as if subject to divine
intervention. Plain exterior doesn't
attract the wrong type of attention
either. Love this car!!

Everything!! Especially motor and transmission. Love ripping it at 7500 rpm's, or taking it easy and getting 30 mpg.

My only complaint is the seats, because though quite grippy for an average size human being, like many americans I am a little bigger. Suppose thats my fault, so I guess there are no complaints.