Used 1992 Nissan Sentra Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Nissan Sentra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sentra model:

Most Helpful|
Reliable car!
By Tim Hennig

1992 Nissan Sentra Sedan XE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car from my girlfriend a few years ago because I needed a fuel-efficient car for commuting to and from work (Jeep was way too thirsty for gas!). The car has a total of 235,000 miles. The car is a little rusty with a big dent on the right front panel passenger side. The car is very reliable. The car is great on gas too. There are some disadvantages to the car. It shifts hard from 1st gear to 2nd gear, I have replaced the governor gear three times, and it leaks oil (a lot of it).

Favorite Features

Great on gas! Low cost repairs.

Suggested Improvements

None, the car is too old.

Boring to look at but can't kill it!
By 500,000 and going

1992 Nissan Sentra Sedan E 4dr Sedan

My 1992 nissan sentra has been nothing but reliable for my family. No major repairs except a gas tank replacement @ 397000 kms. The usual repairs for wear and tear only. Interior has held up awesome with little to no wear to the seats. Still getting great gas mileage and no oil burning. This car deserves respect for being so simple in its design and so amazingly well built. I can't understand why they still can't produce all cars to be this well. So anyone looking for a great second or student car, this is it hands down! Hope to get million km out of her yet. My little red rocket just goes and goes.

Favorite Features

Mines basic only with a/c and auto. A/C still blows ice cold air. Comfy seats. Tight steering.

Suggested Improvements

None. maybe 4X4 for the winter though! LOL.

Dependable
By zward

1992 Nissan Sentra Sedan XE 4dr Sedan

Purchased my Sentra in 2006 and have owned it ever since. She's always been good to me and I've made sure to keep up with the maintenance. The only major work I've had to do is the CV axles and the exhaust...which were a bit pricey but other than that it's been good and the parts are cheap and the car is easy to work on. I live in the Austin area so inspection and emissions tests are required. My car's always passed wonderfully, so there's never been any expensive emissions problems like that.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, easy repairs, easy to work on, cheap parts, many aftermarket add-ons. Car handles very well when you need it.

Suggested Improvements

More power! Needs a turbo stock. When I run the AC the car has NO power. Engine could use to be more responsive.

I love my Nissan Sentra
By Travis

1992 Nissan Sentra Sedan XE 4dr Sedan

This car is incredibly reliable. My wife bought it in 1999 with 72,000 miles. Now, in 2006, it has 190,000 miles and still runs like a charm. The gas mileage is incredible, and although it's not exactly sporty, the engine is strong enough to do what you need. Of course, the rear seating is small, but it's fine for car seats.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy and reliability.

Had to get another
By Autoplay2

1992 Nissan Sentra Sedan XE 4dr Sedan

Got the car with 56K miles on it. When it had 135K, I bought the wife a brand new car, but she insisted on driving this one for another 2 years! Peppy, very manueverable, easy on gas and maintenance. Finally sold it at 210K miles to a coworker who loves the car. He has 246K on it now! It's the Timex of cars!

Favorite Features

Gas mileage. Averaged 29-30 MPG consistently. Amazingly peppy engine, even with the automatic trans. AC was always freezing cold, it was amazing in the Texas heat, and the engine temp stayed well within the normal range.

Suggested Improvements

Cupholders were not the best nor in the best spot. The XE interior was liked by wife, but I would have preferred the Limited Edition interior. The 13" wheels wore out 4 sets of tires in front (in only 160K miles), but they spin so easily with that peppy engine. Maybe 14' tires would do better?