1990 Nissan Sentra Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Nissan Sentra - Consumer Reviews

1990 Sentra Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sentra model:

Sort Reviews by

368,000 and going
By las27563481

1990 Nissan Sentra 2dr Coupe

Bought the car with 70K on it in 1994? I have driven it 300,000 miles since and have had only one failure where I let it run out of water (hose leak) and ran it hot. Threw a head gasket on it (this all around 340,00 miles and running fine now. I've put one clutch in at 180,000 and two DS and one PS front axles, both rear wheel bearings and one set of 4 struts over the entire time i've owned his car. BTW, when I had the cylinder head off to replace the head gasket (again, at 340,00 miles) there was NO ridge at the top of any of the four cylinders. I've torn down many motors and have seen wear and cylinder wall ridges at 80,000. This engine has 5 times that in miles and was smooth.

Favorite Features

This is the most durable and reliable vehichle I have ever owned, is light weight and easy to maintain and drive.

This car will not die!
By SG

1990 Nissan Sentra XE 2dr Coupe

This car is phenomenal on gas mileage. My husband (to be, at the time) bought this car before I met him. We've now been married 15 years. A few years back, we thought it might be time to get him a new car, so we did, and I inherited this as I was driving a pickup at the time. Well, that was 4 years ago, and I'm still driving this little car. It looks terrible - the paint's starting to fade, the door has a big gash in it that's starting to rust, the interior ceiling cloth has disintegrated and is coming down in sheets, but I cannot bring myself to get a new car. This car drives great. It gets incredible gas mileage. I fill it up ONCE A MONTH. I have a 12 mile commute to work.

Favorite Features

It runs beautifully, it's fun to drive and you cannot beat the gas mileage, it's incredible, it just goes forever. It has 237,000 miles on it right now and I keep looking at new cars every few months but then, I think, why get a new one? This one has no intention of dying and the gas mileage is !!!!

Suggested Improvements

Back seat is small, paint fading and interior ceiling cloth has disintegrated. The car is 20 years old, though.

20 years and getting old
By Dennis Fudge

1990 Nissan Sentra XE 4dr Sedan

I carpool and cycle whenever I get a chance so the mileage is low (156000 km) in which 85000 km was originally on the vehicle when I purchased it in 1994. But now the car is getting old and the cost for repairs is starting to be almost as much as the vehicle is worth. With two tires needing to be replaced,lower ball joints worn and the gas gauge not working, it is time to upgrade. Plus my children are getting bigger which means a larger vehicle.

Favorite Features

Very low repair cost per year. Sometimes going two years with no cost but for oil changes.

Suggested Improvements

Lower cost, so I can afford a new car.

$200.00 goes a long way
By james4750

1990 Nissan Sentra 2dr Coupe

I drive this car everyday to work 25 miles round trip and it has never failed me yet. It has 238,000 miles on it and still runs like new. It does not burn a drop of oil. Other than a new timing chain at 211,000 miles, nothing other than regular maintenance has been done to the motor and still runs like new. Other than 2 clutches I have had no tranny problems. It's 18 years old and I bet it runs another 18 years. I am the car's 2nd owner.

Favorite Features

Good gas mileage, 25 city 30 to 35 highway. Low cost maintenance, easy to drive.

Suggested Improvements

NOTHING!

My Sentra
By AJ

1990 Nissan Sentra XE 2dr Hatchback

I bought my sentra with 210,000 miles on it in 2005, every thing was original, its past time for it to recieve new shocks, and probably struts, other than that, the regular oil changes from the original owner i boughtit from has saved it from any noise that indicates a worn older engine. this car gets the best gas mileage of any car ive ever owned. it really great for califonia where i live when gas prices are 2.80 a gallon for regular. i dont like the interior so much, its too plain and plasticy, but thats what you get for a 90's car of any kind. i also own an 88 honda accord hatchback, more comfortable +8hp alot faster, and had more options, honda= $1000, a deal, sentra=$1175 all original

Favorite Features

i kinda like the cheap shifter knob

Suggested Improvements

NEEDS indicator if you leave your lights on. Needs tachometor for manuals

Still going strong
By LAS27563481

1990 Nissan Sentra 2dr Coupe

I bought this car at 70K miles. It's now up to 300K and getting over 36 MPG on the highway W/O overdrive or cruise. Have replaced clutch once (teaching daughters to drive a stick) and both front axles (boots cracked). Other than timing chain guide replacement, all repairs were to me typical wear items such as brakes, struts at 250K control arm bushings, etc. I have replaced nothing else inside the engine other than oil every 3K miles.

Suggested Improvements

My kingdom for a cupholder

GREAT CAR!!
By Horseowner

1990 Nissan Sentra XE 2dr Hatchback

Mine was actually the the '89, but basically the same. Bought with '91K, had 196K on it when slid into the back of a Saturn. Always got 30mpg or better on Calif. gas (33mpg before that), virtually no repairs until 180K miles (timing chain tensioner & alternator went). Fixed accident damage, but bad front suspension - (from the accident?) would be a $500+ repair & the valves & cv joints are threatening to go, so regretfully "retiring" it. Finding it VERY hard to hard to replace, & will be spending a lot more than I paid for this one.

Favorite Features

GREAT gas milege, Excellent handling. Very nimble (though not a whole lot of power). Everyone I've talked to who has had one of these has loved it.

Suggested Improvements

Little plastic bits start breaking around 7-8 years, original paint gets rust under it around the same age. Like many cars the mirrors are a bit inadequate - wide angle "snap-on" rear view mirrors help.

My first Car.
By Roman12

1990 Nissan Sentra XE 2dr Hatchback

Since the day i bought it i loved it,it has only 117,000 miles on it i bought it month ago for $1,000

Favorite Features

Ride ride fun to drive,Gas, everything

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders more power.

Great Car
By Diablo_75

1990 Nissan Sentra XE 4dr Sedan

I've actually owned 2 of these cars (the first being a 2 dr XE). The first car's timing chain guide wore out at about 220,000 miles. I scraped it out for little parts, and use them to replace the occasional need for the one I'm driving now. It has a remanufactured engine in it, so there's no telling how far this one will last. It's a good compact car.

Favorite Features

Starts easily in any temerature (even a freezing 20 or 30 below). Maintenence is a sinch.

Suggested Improvements

It doesn't hurt to put in a nice CD player, but my car (in it's lifetime) has been broken into about 3 times...by force. So, in that case...get a car alarm.

300K
By katwman

1990 Nissan Sentra 2dr Coupe

My Sentra has 307,000 miles! It has the original clutch and timing chain. It looks rough now, but it has been nothing but dependable! No car will ever be able to compare!