Used 2013 Nissan Rogue SUV Consumer Reviews - 13 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Nissan Rogue SUV - Consumer Reviews

2013 Nissan Rogue SUV

View reviews for a specific Rogue model:

Don't take a trip more than an hour and a half fro
By Dan

2013 Nissan Rogue SUV SV 4dr SUV w/SL Package (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Transmission is terrible. The car will not exceed 60 mph after driving it for more than an hour and a half, and good luck going anywhere that you may encounter a slight hill or mountain. IT WILL NOT GO ROGUE!

I'm going to die in this car
By Kristy Swanson

2013 Nissan Rogue SUV S 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

If you are nervous about blind spots, don't buy this car! You will have to rely on only your mirrors which scares the bageebies out of me! You can't see out the back! Seems like it whizzes thru the gas and I barley go anywhere. Love the stick shift and the fact that you can pull the seat forward the old fashioned way under the seat and that's about it. It's tight and small in the front, okay in back. Like the back-up video and it is fun to drive but I did not test drive it on the freeway and wish I had now because it already doesn't seem to have that much power. Wish to God I'd gotten a 6 cylinder. Might be bringing this one back. Inside ceiling feels like cheap egg carton. Whole thing feels cheap to me compared to my old Dodge Minivan. Nissan might be reliable but it feels dirt cheap. Not sure what to do with it now. The paint job is horrible and easily scratched.

Only thing I like about my Rogue is it's a Nissan!
By julies_22

2013 Nissan Rogue SUV S 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I have a 2013 Nissan Rogue with a CVT. Nov 2015 I had to leave Seattle last minute (g'son hit by car) and head to Phoenix. My 14 yr old daughter and I got into California and were going thru mountains/steep grades, also hot outside. All of a sudden my Rogue started losing speed and got slower and slower...very scary and dangerous as cars were coming behind us so fast and so many it took me 3-4 mins to get over to the side of the road to get off. My car was dropping speed rapidly and I was terrified. When I finally pulled off the exit and came to the stop sign my car died. I started crying. :( Cars were honking and going around us. After about 5 mins it started up (barely...by the grace of GOD) and I was able to get off the road and pull into a car dealership which was the first place to stop. It was a Sunday. Everything closed including car rentals. I sat there for over an hour with my daughter crying. She was much more logical and practical then myself in the situation. :) I pulled it together and we got something to eat and came back to the car. She pulled out the owner's manual and it read if traveling in hot weather and going over mountains (which we were), the CVT/car automatically shuts down so it doesn't overheat and burn up. Really??? Why was I not told that? I just knew the transmission was shot. We checked the engine oil and water in radiator. All fine. I started the car back up and with my FAITH got back on I-5. We did not have any more problems all the way there nor back. However, I have an appt tomorrow to take it into Nissan to have the transmission checked as I have a 60,000 mi/6yr warranty and I'm at 58,000 miles now. I now the transmission is caput. I can tell. It's sluggish and sometimes sounds like it stays in one gear and doesn't want to shift up w/speed. TBH, there's not much I like about my Nissan Rogue except for it's a Nissan and they have a great reputation. It even says you can't drive steep grades for more than 6 miles??? Really? How can you travel or go anywhere if there's mountains for more than 6 miles because that's almost everywhere I live on the west coast. It's absurd. What to do? What to do? :(

The Transmission Should Be Trashed
By Unhappy Purchaser

2013 Nissan Rogue SUV S 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

On a cold winter trip, the 2013 Rogue had only 56,000 miles on it, the engine light went on. The car had been super sluggish going up hills..I thought it was the 3 suitcases bogging it down. It had been sluggish on a previous trip also. I had read reviews that the car was noisy, just thought it wasn't a well made car. I was right. Made it 142 miles to the nearest Nissan dealer. Transmission was shot. They replaced the tranny, radiator and added an external cooling system for the transmission. Nissan already has a fix-it kit for the transmission. There is a problem with the design of the transmission. It gets too hot and burns up the fluid and then the transmission. No steep grades for more than 6 miles I've read. Really? How can you go anywhere? So if your car is sluggish, it's the transmission. The earlier models, Nissan changed the warranty to 100,000 miles but for the 2013, it's only 60,000 mile warranty.

In one word: Practical
By it4life

2013 Nissan Rogue SUV SV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

This is my first SUV, and is also my first CVT transmission vehicle. Coming from a V8 engine with automatic trans, it took a little time getting used to the gearless shifting and lack of instant pick-up. However, I'm a huge fan now. The fuel savings really adds up! It drives just as well now that I've gotten the feel of how to accelerate smoothly with the CVT. Haven't had any of the CVT issues that seemed to plague older Nissan models. Plenty of interior space to haul foldable furniture, etc. Maintenance is a breeze. For a 4-cyl, it has decent power! Handling is good; the AWD and ABS kick in when necessary. Owned for 1 yr. now with no problems whatsoever. Avg. 1000 miles/mo. city.

Sips gas - very fuel efficient. Keyless entry/ignition - I never thought I would enjoy this feature so much! Sunroof is nice in the summer. Dash layout is simple and easy to view. GPS is very handy to have. Maintenance is easy, with easy accessibility under-the-hood. Comfortable interior, with plenty of space. Has a more sporty feel to it than other SUVs I've been in. Runs very smoothly when properly maintained according to schedule and using full synthetic engine oil.

Blind spots - the Rogue is plagued with them. Once the side mirrors are adjusted properly, it's not as much of an issue. But the windshield view is obstructed by wide sections dividing the windshield area from the doors, which requires extra caution when making turns in crowded areas. Also, the interior plastic stains very easily; it must be wiped clean immediately of any spills. Also, the overhead eyeglass compartment is useless for anything else; it would have been nice to be able to store other items in it.