Used 2008 Nissan Rogue SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Nissan Rogue - Consumer Reviews

2008 Nissan Rogue SUV

View reviews for a specific Rogue model:

Nothing but issues - would never purchase a nissan again
By melanie30

2008 Nissan Rogue SUV SL 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Purchased used from Alta Nissan late 2011. Found out it wasn't reconditioned from Orangeville Nissan who checked it. Returned to Alta for them to rectify, then there was transmission issue, could not get out of park without the shift lock. All this within the same month of purchase. They adjusted the gears rather than replacement. Never fully solved the issue as in winter it acts up. Had to replace drive shaft, tie rods, door handles, wheel bearings continually. These are Nissan parts yet fail miserably. All highway driven and not abused but yet now 40K outside the increased 200K warranty for the KNOWN CVT transmission issue the transmission is gone. They will not fix it under good will..

Favorite Features

Nothing - worst car ever!

Suggested Improvements

Rather than letting the word get out in the media they try to cover up their issues by quietly extending the warranty for the CVT transmissions... yet a KNOWN issue and they will not in good will replace one that is a little over 40K outside the 200K. Yet there has been cases where they have done this as they know it is an issue and thus the initial extended warranty. The car is not that old and should not have all these problems more less have a transmission go... worthless... do not buy Nissan unless you want to pay and pay for endless repairs.

CVT Failed at 133,608 miles
By drkirby

2008 Nissan Rogue SUV SL 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I liked the car and even have recommended it before. I wish I could take all those recommendations back. My car had an initial grinding noise that came from the transmission. After many trips to the dealer and hearing there was no problem, I finally learn there is a software problem and a fix would be forthcoming. I got the patch on 11/30/09, 20 months after buying the car. My transmission failed in heavy highway traffic on 10/20/14. After the patch Nissan extended the warranty on the CVT to 120k miles. Mine failed shortly after that and cost me 1000.00. Seems like Nissan really knew how to pick a cutoff for their extension so as to maximize cost to the customer.

Favorite Features

At this point, none. I will never buy a Nissan again or any car with a CVT

Suggested Improvements

CVTs should not be used.

Burned by the CVT
By wiulax

2008 Nissan Rogue SUV SL SULEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I been very happy with my 2008 Rogue over the 1st 126,000 miles. I liked it so much that I decided to hold on to it beyond the 120,000 warranty on the CVT. That decision is now going to cost me 4,000 for a new CVT since the transmission failed to the point where I had have it towed to the dealership. Of course Nissan has not offered to pay 1 penny of the replacement cost. When it comes to the CVT failure, I think it not a matter of if, but when it will fail. Hopefully the replacement CVT is better than the original

Favorite Features

Interior, keyless starting and the inability to lock the keys in the car.

Suggested Improvements

Rust protection on the frame, and the CVT reliability.

Update on 2008 Rogue - BAD!!!!!
By tamoshanter55

2008 Nissan Rogue SUV SL 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

OK...so here's my update on my 2008 Rogue, SL AWD, since 2010. a year and a half ago the CVT transmission went out. although Nissan extended the warranty on it to 120,000, it happened at 124k and they wouldn't replace it. ok, so i paid almost $5000 to replace it. then last month, at 185,000, the timing chain broke. mechanic said that he could go into it and replace it about $2000-$3000, but if he went in and found the teeth broken on the gears, or any other damage that could have happened, then the engine would have to be replaced at about $5000. needless to say, i decided to throw in the the towel and not put any more into it.

Favorite Features

BOSE stereo, bluetooth, front seats very comfortable for long drives, AWD

Suggested Improvements

replace the CVT!!!

CVT transmission problems
By bille60

2008 Nissan Rogue SUV S 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

We bought our 2008 Rogue S AWD new from the dealership. Nice looking, fun to drive, great safety features, and the AWD is fantastic. Never had to be towed. I noticed the transmission had a slight high pitch whine when it was new - going up steep hills. I thought it was just normal for a CVT. Then as time went on (about 20,000 miles) the transmission developed a loud high pitch whine going up steep hills - especially in the summer heat. At 30,503 miles the dealer replaced the transmission fluid because of my complaints about the CVT noise. Nissan has replaced 2 CVT transmissions so far.

Favorite Features

Power, AWD, safety features.

Suggested Improvements

The CVT transmission is very sensitive to heat. If you go up hills, or 70 MPH, or carry a lot of weight, expect the transmission to go into "fail safe" mode. The car's computer will suddenly reduce the car's power - to protect the transmission. If the CVT transmission has a high pitch whine, and it does not go into fail safe, expect the transmission to fail soon. Unfortunately, if you are passing on a two lane road, this is most likely time that the CVT will go into fail safe mode. As just happened to me and my family, my Rogue went into fail safe while I was passing, the power was suddenly drastically reduced, and it nearly caused a head-on collision. Consider a transmission oil cooler.