2012 Nissan Quest S Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Nissan Quest - Consumer Reviews

2012 Quest Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Quest model:

Sort Reviews by

Unbelievable Luxury
By wild8willy

2012 Nissan Quest SL 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

We got rid of a Honda Oddy EXL-RES that was the worst vehicle I have ever owned. 9mpg since new and constantly in the shop. Our Quest is like a Bentley. The materials are top notch, the comfort is unmatched and I just love this van. My wife loved it in 2011 and made me go see one and I thought she was out of her mind. Well it kind of grew on me, and then I drove it. You could actually have a conversation at normal voice levels with any row in the van it is so quiet. I could not talk to my wife in our Oddy with her sitting next to me it was so loud. The CVT is actually pretty good in the van. I have one in my 2012 Altima and it is awful and I hate it. We paid Under 30 Grand!!!

Favorite Features

Great Leather Seats, Quiet, Smooth ride, Feels like it cost twice its price. Love the back up camera screen and all the neat info it gives you. Much better in town MPG than our Oddy. Doors always work and have never not opened in the winter, a daily occurrence with the Oddy. The interior makes the competition look low rent. My boys 10 and 13 love it. My parents think it is amazing compared to our Oddy and another family members 2013 Sienna. Big rebates and incentives.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the stupid mirror and give me a sunglass holder!! Up the Highway MPG to match the competition. Nissan rams the CVT down every ones throat and I see no benefit. Give transmission options in the entire line up.

The 2012 Quest is the Best
By kilkel

2012 Nissan Quest S 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Just bought the 2012 Quest in Feb and love it. Looked at all the others, Honda, Toyota, Kia and Dodge and none compared to the Quest's value and looks. We have owned a Pathfinder, Titan, and now the Quest. I believe we are a Nissan family. Went for the low end model and, other than 1 or 2 features, we don't really mind. If you're in the market for a mini-van, stop by a Nissan place and take a look, you'll be surprised.

Favorite Features

The push-button start and key-less entry, plush seating. The interior styling is beautiful. Lots of room for the kiddos. Averaging 20-21mpg in city/hwy.

Suggested Improvements

None so far.

SLEEK DESIGN
By mmamman3

2012 Nissan Quest S 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

After returning from a trip, we rented this vehicle to get from the airport to our home and truly fell in love with it. Four months later, we purchased a 2012 Nissan Quest minivan. So far, we have been very impressed with our purchase. It has much more pep than our previous minivan (Dodge Grand Caravan) and is a quieter ride. The basic features seem adequate and are quite liked by the children, as they now have temperature control in the rear. Standard middle row captain's chairs are an added bonus so that the kids don't get in each other's space as often:) However, I think the most impressive is the exterior design--very sleek and modern. It's a turn your head and look kind of minivan.

Favorite Features

Sleek exterior design Roomy interior Nice head room for hubby (6' 3" tall and all torso) Front and rear temperature controls Middle seat windows Middle bucket seats Quiet ride Peppy (not a slow start like other minivans)

Suggested Improvements

The temperature control a/c comes on for the rear if head and feet mode are selected in heat mode. Although this is explained in the manual, not liked by me. I really hate the windshield wiper controls (only three speeds for front wipers: delayed, slow, fast). I would prefer to have other delay options. It really is inconvenient with most light rainfall. It either isn't fast enough on the delay, or it is too fast on the slow setting. It would be nice to add standard electric driver's seat as the pumping action for changing height is quite outdated compared to the car's other features. It is an inconvenience for my husband and I to switch drivers as easily (he is 6'3" and I am 5'4").

Serious safety issue still unresolved
By hedgehog26

2012 Nissan Quest SL 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

First let me say that the van, for the price that I paid for it, is hands down a much better buy than the Odyssey or the Sienna. The exterior styling is I admit a personal preference, but we like it. Interior is awesome! The SL I think is the best trim for the value. I would't pay more for some extra features for the LE (not for almost 10k more!). The only major flaw in this van, which Ithink everyone should be warned about before they buy it is the fuel tank problem. This is not the software problem addressed bybthe March 2012 recall. Nissan thought that will fix the problem but it didn't. That recall fix even negatively affected the gas mileage of the van.

Favorite Features

When you are on a decline, whether stopped or moving, even at diffeent speeds, and have less than a 1/4 tank of fuel, the van stalls!!! Please do your research about this. I bought my van last July and brought my car in twice already for this issue. It happened to me twice, fortunately while parked. Some people were going downhill when it happened to them. Nissan told me that they are designing a new fuel tank to fix the issue. That was 2 months ago and still no fix. Their recommendation to me was to keep fuel more than 1/4 tank for now. Inexcusable! Already filed a complaint to the NTHSA about it. If you have kids, it's something you need to be warned about before you buy the vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Gas pedal hesitates a little. Even when you are in a slight incline, need to rev it up a little to get it moving. Sometimes, the van would even roll back when you release the brake pedal. Go to amazon and buy the PUTCO LED interior lights! The factory dome lights are a little dark for us and it gets pretty warm (try touching the lamps and see what I mean)

A truthful review.
By va24502

2012 Nissan Quest S 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

First, I like the styling of the Quest. Others cite 7 pass capacity as a fault. Nobody has 6 kids these days & if you need this capacity buy a bus.

Favorite Features

Fit & finish is excellent. No problems in or out.

Suggested Improvements

Now, the problems: Brake pedal: Very mushy pedal, not firm. Goes almost to floor at times. Van stops OK but no feeling of confidence. Side view mirrors are tall rather than wide. You need more vision to left & right than up & down. Should be same shape as on pick-ups. Noise: Unbelievabley loud road noise on some road surfaces. Also, loud engine noise at different rpmís. I have read the reviews by other owners plus Edmunds reviews & all state how quiet the vehicle is. Not the case in my Quest. Drivers seat: I chose manual adjuster as I am the only driver & need max leg room. For max leg room you adjust the lever down. This moves seat back but also lowers it. Raising the seat moves it forward so you canít have max leg room & a higher seat. There is a separate bar to slide seat to front or rear so why does seat move forward if one chooses to sit higher. Transmission: My driveway has a slight incline to street level & when in reverse engine RPM must be increased to 2600 to get van to move. In other words, slight pressure on gas pedal does not move vehicle. Steering column stalk controls: Too many controls on both headlight & wiper stalks. Headlight on-off switch should be on dash rather than steering column, retain high beam control on stalk. One needs a co-pilot to operate wiper switch, mist, delay, wash etc plus it also controls the rear wiper. Dash configuration: The dash bellies out in center & lessens interior front area room. Dash should extend straight across vehicle, style has given way to substance. Would prefer shifter on steering column but that is personal preference. Would I buy another Quest? NO!

No comparison to other minivans
By greywulfe

2012 Nissan Quest LE 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

When shopping for a minivan, I wanted something that had less than bland styling. The quest by far is the most impressive looking minivan out there IMO - it has a very distinctive shape that no other comparable van has. Styling aside, the biggest advantage is the interior. I own an LE model -The Honda and Toyota both have very cheap interiors. Try knocking on the dash on the Toyota. With leather seats, this truly is a luxury vehicle. The cargo capacity is massive. Do you really plan to take out the car seats? These fold flat...anything big - rent a truck.

Favorite Features

Navigation system - Large and easy to use. USB port - direct connect to Ipod, listen to pod casts or playlists with ease Great climate control with high end filter POWER! Pass with confidence Great seats

Suggested Improvements

USB port has gone funky on me a few times. (resets on and off) Not sure why. Nav system limited while driving. Maybe for safety - but my co-pilot should be able to use the full thing.

It's early, but so far.... WOW!
By ramguy22

2012 Nissan Quest SL 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

We leased our new black with grey leather Quest SL with DVD player today. So far we LOVE it. What a HUGE improvement over our one-owner traded in 2004 Quest!

Favorite Features

The van is loaded! Ours had included (at "no cost") a rear DVD system that the kids love as they haven't had one to date. The seats are amazing- I can tell Infinity had it's hand in it's design, as I agree with someone that stated it should be badged as an Infinity. The van is so quiet and refined. We also like the CVT and it's interaction with the strong, yet quiet engine. Power-everything (all doors, hatch, driver's seat, etc.) are wonderful.

Suggested Improvements

The center console is a bit confusing and the stereo/air controls are a bit hard to access with the shifter in the way. I would like to see that moved higher up.... just a minor thing as one can still manipulate the controls.

First time mini van owner
By jcc36

2012 Nissan Quest SV 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

The time came for our family to purchase a minivan, under protest by myself. We previously owned a Jeep Commander but needed to go bigger. We looked at the Toyota Sienna and the Nissan. Wasn't too keen on the Honda or Chrysler styling. The Nissan has a very unique look that both my wife and I liked. We liked the Sienna also but it seemed for van like to us. One of the best features is the interior, very very nice compared to the Toyota. People complain about the storage with the fold down seats but it's plenty big for us. Besides, the cargo area behind the rear seat is massive.

Favorite Features

Interior is outstanding. Styling is unique, rear storage bin is huge, ride and handling is great, decent gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Auto tailgate, sunroof, dvd only on top end model. Should be available as options. Other vans have auto tailgate on all models. Hard to get to third row seat. Sound quality of radio could be better.

2012 Nissan Quest SL
By westbrock6

2012 Nissan Quest SL 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I have owned every car possible in the past few years. The 2011 Traverse LTZ, 2010 Honda Odyssey exl/res, 2008 Grand Caravan,2011 Suburban LT, 2010 Kia sedona Ex to name a few. I just bought the 2012 Nissan Quest SL it is the best driving van I have owned, interior is beautiful, the sunroofs are awsome, and the kids love the dvd screen that drops down from the ceiling with the push of a button. My husband who has hated minivans wants to drive this one. I loved the style and handling of the traverse but it was too small I have 4 kidos, finally the vehicle that has the sporty style, fun to drive crossover feel with all the space needed for the kids and their stuff. You have to drive this !!

Favorite Features

interior that you would find in an infinity, crazy look that sets it apart from the typical mini van, double sunroofs that open ( unlike the traverse that the rear did not open ) awsome rear entertainment dvd. I love the heavy duty feel of this van, gives me the feel of my suburban but the turning radius of a van.

Suggested Improvements

I have not had it long enough to find anything that bothers me. Some complain about the cargo area, I have 4 kids and no problem with cargo space although we do have a full size pick up truck (my husbands) that we would use to haul large items.Some complain about the doors not opening as wide, the step they have hands down makes it easier to enter 3rd row even with the doors not opening as wide. I wish they would have the LE available without the navigation. I purchased the SL with the bose, the sunroof, and the dvd. The LE was still 7K more and the only options I was getting was navigation, memory seats, different headlight bulbs, and the blind spot system 7K seemed like alot for those.

I never thought I would enjoy driving a minivan until now
By 08outtie

2012 Nissan Quest SL 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

A great vehicle thru and thru. The styling is unlike all the other typical minivan on the market, so in a way, I feel that it is less like a minivan. I like the boxy style at the back, although I would understand that it is a love it or hate it styling. I love the CVT on the Quest. I test drove a Cube couple years back and it was so loud and straining at all RPM. I think the problem with the Cube was the small engine. With the Quest's 3.5L engine, the CVT is quiet and extremely smooth. The interior is just unbelievable for a minivan. It basically is a carbon copy of the Infiniti's interior design. Fit and finish is top notch. I guess that's the result of the vehicle being built in Japan.

Favorite Features

CVT, power lift gate, simple fold flat seats

Suggested Improvements

have touch screen controls instead of the dial/joystick control.