Used 2005 Nissan Quest 3.5 SL Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Nissan Quest Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Quest model:

Great Family MiniVan!
By ilikenissan

2005 Nissan Quest Minivan 3.5 SL 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We have had our 2005 Quest SL for 8 years now, bought new. It has been the perfect van for us. Spacious, strong engine, drives great (for a van), and gets decent highway mileage (we average 24 on trips). Electronically adjustable driver's seat. It was worth buying the extended warranties, as minivans (weight and usage) put a lot of stress on transmissions and suspensions. We used the warranty and saved a lot on major repairs common to the entire minivan category.

The full size middle bucket seats fit our teenagers or adults. The good headroom in the rear seats allow for seating up to 7 comfortably. Spacious cargo room when rear seat is down. We've hauled gear and plywood, camped, skiied, carted Christmas trees, gone on 2000+ mile family trips, etc. Our van has done it all!

- Higher quality interior plastics - better sound system, and replaceable/upgradeable CD system - better in-town mileage - driver seat to extend further back (for longer legs) - putting the speedometer back ('07 onward) in it's customary spot has likely helped sales, though in usages takes only a few days to get used to.

Quest is a Hot Mess
By sesaalegria

2005 Nissan Quest Minivan 3.5 SL 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Quest SL new in 2005 with the extended warranty; I planned on driving it for many years. Well, I'm looking to trade it in way ahead of schedule. By the time it had 73K miles, the 4th alternator had to be put in! The first 3 were under regular warranty, the 4th under the extended. Currently it is in the shop having the computer replaced, to the tune of $2K out of my pocket. Oh, and the brakes? I can't count how many times they've been replaced. Sure, it is roomy, comfy on long road trips, the DVD player is a lifesaver with the kids, the drive is smooth, it was stylish in 2005, and the purchase price was good-all reasons I got it. In the long run-well-RUN! Not worth the test drive.

Comfort, drive, power liftgate, roominess.

Reliability!

Timing Chain
By willima wallace

2005 Nissan Quest Minivan 3.5 SL 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The experience I had driving this car was wonderful. Very comfortable smooth really nice, I know some mechanics so I change my brakes, driver side Windows switch, but the fun ended when I started to hear a noise coming from the engine. I was not worried because ever since I bought this car I have changed the oil and oil filter every month no matter the mileage, I did always use Mobil 1 synthetic oil. Well to make a long story short the timing chain broke, and it damaged the engine. I took it to the dealer and I was 2 months shy of my warranty expiring, but my mileage was 120,000 they told me I was out of warranty. They told me I needed a new engine total cost $6600 good luck with your quest.

driving was fun, very spacious I'm a big guy with 4 kids, smooth to drive

The timing chain problem has to be fixed there is no way a car like that would end its life at 100,000 miles or 5 years. Is a rip off! I saw someone on the net try's to do a class action suit I will sign for that.

Good family transportation
By Zfamily

2005 Nissan Quest Minivan 3.5 SL 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased in April of 2005. Mostly happy with vehicle. Had to replace right half shaft, under extended warranty, and rotors twice. Went to after market slotted rotors and no more problems. I get 22 mpg mixed driving and 26 mpg on highway driving 70 mph. Seats are wider and pretty supportive for most people.

Great engine and transmission. Good stereo and great mpg. People are amazed how much we get for gas mileage.

Sliding doors are finicky if the sensor get dirty or wet. Some rattles or squeaks at times. Better brakes

Average van
By Frosty1

2005 Nissan Quest Minivan 3.5 SL 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought used in '06 with 18,000 miles. Liked looks compared to others in class. Problems have included broken rear wiper, door gaskets falling off, replaced rear lift gate motor. Tires were shot by 30,000. Replaced all 4 rotors, pads, and rear calipers. Extended warranty covered defective calipers, but brake job still cost $600. Have gone on a few road trips of more than 1000 miles and performance was O.K. Gas mileage on the highway is around 25 mpg with city near 20 mpg. Ride is a bit noisy at highway speed compared to an Odyssey or Sienna. I most likely would not buy another Quest. Honda or Toyota would be my first two choices.

DVD system, power liftgate, and fold away third row.

Needs better brakes and stock tires.