Timing Chains are Bad!
By Bittersweet on
2004 Nissan Quest 3.5 SL 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)
We have been proud owners of Nissan's for more than 13yrs. Our '04 Quest has been great over all! I have had problems with the automatic doors not closing and/or sticking. Windows have the same problem. Console is scratched and looks crappy because material does not clean well. Under carriage is to low, going over speed hump I lost plastic bolts holding plastic bottom in place. Now my mechanic is telling me that I need a new timing chain, the dealership will charge $3200 he will fix for $1800. He says it really should be a recall but because of the cost Nissan will not recall! Timing chains are suppose to last longer and be more reliable. Research the web many people having same problem!
Favorite Features
Unquestionably the best body and look of any van out there. Very comfortable and kid friendly. Sun/Moon roofs are awesome
Suggested Improvements
Console should be more durable. Captains seats need better cup holders. Glitches with windows and doors are annoying! More durable under carriage not plastic! Recall timing chain, very expensive unnecessary repair
By lollyf
on 07/26/11 19:37 PM (PDT)

I had my 2004 Nissan Quest for 1 day before the noise started. Turns out the noise is noticeable on cold starts. Be sure you do a cold start before buying one and then have it checked. Timing chain was bad. 1200.00 repair. Thankfully the dealer I bought it from is standing behind it. CAUTION!!! I don't really understand how this doesn't effect its reliability rating on this site. The dealership that is actually doing the repair says they do this repair all the time.

By ar5crash
on 07/21/13 19:41 PM (PDT)

My timing chain noise started about 60k miles. we milked it by frequent oil changes and using synth blend oil. Just had the job done $2500 mechanic says gasket failure caused tensioner to fail due to low oil pressure to the tensioner. poor design ! No way should this fail it should be a recall. You will never see a recall due to the high price I bet it is a $3800 job at the dealer. Cheaper for nissan to fight it.