Used 2004 Nissan Quest 3.5 SL Minivan Consumer Reviews - 176 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Nissan Quest Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Quest model:

Don't waste your money like I did
By Rachel

2004 Nissan Quest Minivan 3.5 SL 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased this used for $12 grand in 2012, it had 91k on it. More than we could afford, but we had hoped it would last and be worth it in the long haul. Here we are four years and 30,000 miles later selling it for $500 due to a transmission issues that comes and goes, and since the problem comes and goes our mechanic is unable to diagnose the problem.

In the past four years we have had to repair or replace wheel bearings, the ABS sensor, front control arm, 3 ignition coils, spark plugs, and a brake caliper. Right now the car needs a catalytic converter and an engine mount, but since we are done throwing money at this lemon I am not having those repaired and will be very upfront about the cars issues to whomever takes it off our hands. The transmission has been acting up on and off for over two years, it is a very odd problem where it acts like it is slipping, and then a day or two later is 100% fine. Since it is so intermittent there is little the mechanic can do. Even he is frustrated with the car at this point, and he is making money off of it!

Annoying things that we didn't try to repair to not waste even more money include the automatic sliding door being glitchy, sometimes it almost closes and then reopens, lots of fun in the rain or freezing winter weather. However, if something is actually in the way of the sliding door (like me trying to put the baby in his seat) and it is closed by accident THEN it suddenly won't stop and does its best to squish you. The console cracked early on. The CD player doesn't work. The handle covers for the rear seats cracked. The vents fall out from the ceiling regularly. There is some odd leak in the trunk that we were never able to pinpoint, so at this point we just make sure to not put anything in the back so that the water can evaporate and not get moldy.

It kills me because we really wanted to like this car. It has plenty of room for us and our three kids and a haul from Costco. If the grandparents want to come with us and the kids we can all fit in one car. But after dumping thousands in frequent and expensive repairs I just can't recommend this car to anyone.

200K and still strong
By kwkemp1

2004 Nissan Quest Minivan 3.5 SL 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this new in 2004 and have never had an issue with mechanical aspects.
Only 3 issues have been: driverside visor broke at 160K, plastic handles to lower 2nd row seats broke at about 120K, and radio cuts on and off.
Other than these minor issues.
Also this car does an amazing job in the snow as it does not slide.

smooth ride ability to drive in adverse weather conditions

higher grade plastic knobs

Wish I was a lucky one!!
By oneofeach4me

2004 Nissan Quest Minivan 3.5 SL 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this van used, in 08, with 34K miles on it, and 4K down with an extended warranty. I loved my Quest, it was perfect for us and fit my stylish personality. However, I started having issues with the van making noises. I kept taking it to the dealership but they couldn't figure it out. Well, 2 months after my warranty was up, with 90K miles on it, they tell me the van needs $4K worth of work but Nissan wouldn't honor my warranty that never got used. Issues: 80K heat compressor failed, 98K alternator failed, interior lights falling out of ceiling, tailgate replaced twice 1st at 45K, 110K failed timing chain! Engine work at 100K miles on a Nissan?! Now making payments on undriveable van!

Very stylish, extremely roomy, DVD lasted quite a while, loved trip calculator and gas mileage calculator. Has some get up and go and comfortable for long trips.

timing chain recall!!!!!, honor warranties especially if dealership has seen vehicle in the past 30 days without resolution of issue brought in for, do something about interior lights falling out, power doors getting stuck, failing lift gate twice in 3 years, car just ends up having too many problems at low miles to be a Nissan. I didn't expect to have to do these until after it was paid for!!!!!!

Timing Chains are Bad!
By Bittersweet

2004 Nissan Quest Minivan 3.5 SL 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We have been proud owners of Nissan's for more than 13yrs. Our '04 Quest has been great over all! I have had problems with the automatic doors not closing and/or sticking. Windows have the same problem. Console is scratched and looks crappy because material does not clean well. Under carriage is to low, going over speed hump I lost plastic bolts holding plastic bottom in place. Now my mechanic is telling me that I need a new timing chain, the dealership will charge $3200 he will fix for $1800. He says it really should be a recall but because of the cost Nissan will not recall! Timing chains are suppose to last longer and be more reliable. Research the web many people having same problem!

Unquestionably the best body and look of any van out there. Very comfortable and kid friendly. Sun/Moon roofs are awesome

Console should be more durable. Captains seats need better cup holders. Glitches with windows and doors are annoying! More durable under carriage not plastic! Recall timing chain, very expensive unnecessary repair

Love it!
By Jennifer

2004 Nissan Quest Minivan 3.5 SL 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have had my van for 6 years and have never had any major problems. There have been a few nuisance issues, but nothing serious. Since it was a new car, I knew before buying it that there would be a few bugs. Out of curiosity, I've been reading reviews of the 2004 Quest lately and, I have been shocked at all the reported problems people have been having. I have never had any major issues with my van just the usual wear and tear. I have yet to see a minivan as stylish and at this point wouldn't dream of replacing it.

Interior and exterior styling.

Functioning second row windows. Heated and cooled seats throughout.