Used 2004 Nissan Quest 3.5 SL Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Nissan Quest - Consumer Reviews

2004 Nissan Quest Minivan

View reviews for a specific Quest model:

200K and still strong
By kwkemp1

2004 Nissan Quest Minivan 3.5 SL 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this new in 2004 and have never had an issue with mechanical aspects. Only 3 issues have been: driverside visor broke at 160K, plastic handles to lower 2nd row seats broke at about 120K, and radio cuts on and off. Other than these minor issues. Also this car does an amazing job in the snow as it does not slide.

Favorite Features

smooth ride ability to drive in adverse weather conditions

Suggested Improvements

higher grade plastic knobs

Wish I was a lucky one!!
By oneofeach4me

2004 Nissan Quest Minivan 3.5 SL 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this van used, in 08, with 34K miles on it, and 4K down with an extended warranty. I loved my Quest, it was perfect for us and fit my stylish personality. However, I started having issues with the van making noises. I kept taking it to the dealership but they couldn't figure it out. Well, 2 months after my warranty was up, with 90K miles on it, they tell me the van needs $4K worth of work but Nissan wouldn't honor my warranty that never got used. Issues: 80K heat compressor failed, 98K alternator failed, interior lights falling out of ceiling, tailgate replaced twice 1st at 45K, 110K failed timing chain! Engine work at 100K miles on a Nissan?! Now making payments on undriveable van!

Favorite Features

Very stylish, extremely roomy, DVD lasted quite a while, loved trip calculator and gas mileage calculator. Has some get up and go and comfortable for long trips.

Suggested Improvements

timing chain recall!!!!!, honor warranties especially if dealership has seen vehicle in the past 30 days without resolution of issue brought in for, do something about interior lights falling out, power doors getting stuck, failing lift gate twice in 3 years, car just ends up having too many problems at low miles to be a Nissan. I didn't expect to have to do these until after it was paid for!!!!!!

Timing Chains are Bad!
By Bittersweet

2004 Nissan Quest Minivan 3.5 SL 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We have been proud owners of Nissan's for more than 13yrs. Our '04 Quest has been great over all! I have had problems with the automatic doors not closing and/or sticking. Windows have the same problem. Console is scratched and looks crappy because material does not clean well. Under carriage is to low, going over speed hump I lost plastic bolts holding plastic bottom in place. Now my mechanic is telling me that I need a new timing chain, the dealership will charge $3200 he will fix for $1800. He says it really should be a recall but because of the cost Nissan will not recall! Timing chains are suppose to last longer and be more reliable. Research the web many people having same problem!

Favorite Features

Unquestionably the best body and look of any van out there. Very comfortable and kid friendly. Sun/Moon roofs are awesome

Suggested Improvements

Console should be more durable. Captains seats need better cup holders. Glitches with windows and doors are annoying! More durable under carriage not plastic! Recall timing chain, very expensive unnecessary repair

Love it!
By Jennifer

2004 Nissan Quest Minivan 3.5 SL 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have had my van for 6 years and have never had any major problems. There have been a few nuisance issues, but nothing serious. Since it was a new car, I knew before buying it that there would be a few bugs. Out of curiosity, I've been reading reviews of the 2004 Quest lately and, I have been shocked at all the reported problems people have been having. I have never had any major issues with my van just the usual wear and tear. I have yet to see a minivan as stylish and at this point wouldn't dream of replacing it.

Favorite Features

Interior and exterior styling.

Suggested Improvements

Functioning second row windows. Heated and cooled seats throughout.

Disappointed
By Not a happy consumer

2004 Nissan Quest Minivan 3.5 SL 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

When I first bought this vehicle I thought I was getting a good deal. I have had my car for 5 years and now I am told that I need $5000.00 dollars of engine work done on it. I have completed all my maintenance schedules. I paid the higher price for repairs and maintenance by getting all my work done at the dealer. I have had to replace the stereo twice in the last 5 years. The rubber molding around the door has come off numerous times. Maybe the newer models are better but make sure you get the warranty to cover yourself to 100000 miles, I didn't and now I have to pay. The car should have lasted longer than 5 years.

Favorite Features

Our favorite part is the sun roof in the back so the kids can see the sky. The automatic tailgate is a godsend especially when it is raining.

Suggested Improvements

I wish there were windows that rolled down in the second seats.