1999 Nissan Quest GLE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Nissan Quest - Consumer Reviews

1999 Quest Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Quest model:

Sort Reviews by

Awesome for a mini-van
By Bill

1999 Nissan Quest GLE 4dr Minivan

The best, most reliable vehicle I've ever owned, and that's saying something. Bought it brand new in '99 and I've never had a single problem with it, even with the miles at over 170,000. Even though my kids are driving themselves now I still get plenty of use out of the van and it's one of the most comfortable cars I've ever driven. Based on this I'd buy another Nissan in a heartbeat.

Favorite Features

We got a free TV/VCR console when we bought it and it was great for the kids on the long trips.

Suggested Improvements

Can't think of anything they could have done at the time other then possibly having the ability to removed the 3 row instead of just sliding it up.

Luxury Features - Fits in MY Garage
By Steve Conslaw

1999 Nissan Quest GLE 4dr Minivan

I bought my 99 Quest GLE used in 2002. It was significantly cheaper than comparable used Hondas, Toyotas & Dodges. On the other hand, it had more luxury features. More to the point, it fits in MY Garage. It's about 6 inches shorter than current Odysseys & Siennas & Grand Caravans. That means I can squeeze it in the garage behind the lawnmower and bicycles. It still has three usable rows of seats. Great on vacations. The 1999 model had a TV/VCR standard - the kids love it. Surprisingly, the TV reception isn't bad. I had a 1998 Mercury Villager. The 1999 model is much better with side doors on both sides,6 extra inches of room, and the 15 horsepower boost makes performance just fine.

Favorite Features

TV/VCR Leather seats are very durable versatile - we usually leave out one or two middle seats - it's like a limo with the leather, TV, etc. Tip: Largest cargo area is actually in the middle: take out the middle seats. Fold and push back the rear seat. Good value on used car market.

Suggested Improvements

They improved most of the problem areas over the 1998. This model was discontinued in 2002, replaced in 2004 by all new Quest. It could handle a little better. MPG typical for era. Middle seat room could be improved. See web for common stereo problems and solutions. Middle seats can rattle.

Love my van!
By hot minivan momma

1999 Nissan Quest GLE 4dr Minivan

My van is the GLE...all the bells and whistles, plus the sunroof. I love that this van drives like a car. We drove some other vans and all drove like trucks. Handling is great. We do reg. maintenance and have had very few problems. Now at 120k mi. We just had a new radiator put in; must also replace cv boots soon and the struts. This is normal at this mileage. Wonderful car with family. Kids love the t.v. I can leave back seat pushed up against middle row most of the time and then push it right back when I have extra passengers. Car has lots of vroom vroom.

Favorite Features

Heat/AC is amazing. I never have windows frosting b/c the temp automatically adjusts to keep the windows clear. TV is fun. The memory settings for drivers and homelink is great. Brakes are fabo! Dream to drive. Best looking minivan around, in my opinion.

Suggested Improvements

Not fond of the front cupholders. That little shelf they sold was ridiculous! I hope no one bought it. It'd be nice if that actually worked. Otherwise, nothing: I like the layout of the car and it's been so reliable.

Mom , Pa & Children's Minivan
By Fraedna

1999 Nissan Quest GLE 4dr Minivan

My 1999 Nissan Quest has good power, decent fuel economy, great interior and comfort (with a great leather quality), and lots of neat features. My kids love the video system. I have not experienced any major problems. I just hit 40,000 miles and my Questr still rides like a sedan. I also own a 2000 Nissan Pathfinder and provides the same performance and quality. I plan on purchasing a Nissan as my next vehicle as well.

Favorite Features

Video systems , 6 CD changer, leather seats and position memory of the driver seats. Sun roof. And the wide range of posible positions on the rear seats.

Suggested Improvements

A DVD system should be standard, but I will buy one to be added. More power outlets in the front.

I love my van!
By cherylmills

1999 Nissan Quest GLE 4dr Minivan

I balked at the idea of becoming a "minivan mom", but I love my van! The kids can watch a movie during long trips, and there's plenty of space to keep them out of arm's reach of one another. I bought it used at a very good price, which made me wonder what was wrong with it, but over a year later and all I've had to do is fill it with gas and change the oil. Very solidly built, dependable, and comfortable, even for a family of six!

Favorite Features

The television and sunroof are my favorite "toys", and I love having doors on both sides in back. I like the way it rides slightly high, but not too much that it feels top-heavy. It's roomy, but not too large to maneuver in traffic and parking lots.

Suggested Improvements

The seats could be easier to remove, or fold down into floor, but you can buy a newer model if that's important.

almost perfect
By value shopper

1999 Nissan Quest GLE 4dr Minivan

Great van, GLE package a must, The only thing I would like, is more HP , I found that with the 5 of us it took some time getting up to a good speed when getting on the Interstate. If they could produce a 200+ HP van , I would be a Quest customer for life.

Favorite Features

Memory seats, Sunroof, auto lights, quality of the leather seats.

Suggested Improvements

Lack of engine power for a family of 5,

the undiscovered van.
By van man

1999 Nissan Quest GLE 4dr Minivan

this van is an extremely quiet even at cruising highway speeds with a fairly decent mileage. i have also got used to the leather seats etc.

Favorite Features

Moon roof. (could not get this in most other mini vans). Also, the rear glass door opener is very convenient.

Suggested Improvements

- a little bit of engine power would be nice specially when we have extra riders. - center row captain seats should be adjustable instead of fixed. - roll down center windows must also be optionally available. - heated leather seats.

Pretty Good....I guess
By #1 mom

1999 Nissan Quest GLE 4dr Minivan

With only 30,000 miles on it, I've had too many problems. One day all the electrical items went out. We couldn't roll up the windows, move the seats or do anything electrical. We could just drive the car. Fron driver wheel squeeks when we turn. On the positive side, it's interior is the roomiest on the market. We looked at the Honda Odyssey, the Toyota Sienna and the Mazda van(Can't remember the name) and the Quest was much larger inside. I've had no engine problems yet (knock on wood) and the abundance of extra's is nice. Overall it's a good product, I just think we got a lemon as far as the electrical is concerned.

Favorite Features

abundance of cup holders, radio control on steering wheel and in back, AC in back, tv/vcr, one button personalized seat setting memory

Suggested Improvements

change funky looking bumper, make the middle windows roll down for more ventilation