1998 Nissan Quest - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Quest model:
Served me Well
By saabsrule on 12/12/12 18:43 PM (PST)

1998 Nissan Quest XE 3dr Minivan

I bought this van kind of for fun because my old car died on me before senior year of high school. This van was wonderful. Perfect for filling with friends or camping gear, and the car was reliable as the sunrise. I also loved the gas mileage. I drive agressively, and averaged about 21-22 mpg. Thats not bad. The engine however was very underpowered. Only 151 hp and the car was very heavy. It has a very functional interior and the third row seats can slide to any position in the car which is conveneient. The van did develop a cylinder misfire before I sold it. This is the only knock I have about it. Also, it doesn't have traction control or abs. Overall it drove like a car and did its job.

Starting trouble & more
By guscan on 05/17/10 16:15 PM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Quest XE 3dr Minivan

Just passed 200,000 km but the troubles started before this. Had the timing belt replaced as per schedule, brakes redone, transmission would hang up & not shift, overhaul trans tie rod ends replaced, one fell apart on the street. Ball joints both replaced & the rh one again. Now the real trouble began. It has developed a no start problem. Battery is good, replaced starter. System is absolutely dead when it won't start always after being driven for a time. Let it sit for an hour or so & it starts again. Will be good for a few days even weeks & then it does it again. We have been stranded so many times it is getting annoying to say the least. And no shop can tell us what's wrong.

Has been pretty good
By Aaron on 06/06/05 13:13 PM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Quest XE 3dr Minivan

It has been a reliable car for the most part. A little noisy on the highway but pretty good.

5 yrs in Canada and 130 000 miles
By leyanis on 09/19/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Quest XE 3dr Minivan

After 5 winters and driven by my wife the whole time this car has been a dissapointment. All the suspension is gone, the corrosion everywhere but mostly around the doors and roof line. The electrical harnesses around the engine compartment ie headlight system had to be changed.

reliable and strong
By Joelo 24 on 03/27/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Nissan Quest XE 3dr Minivan

After having had my car for 86,000 miles and having towed a trailer behind it for camping for the last three years, I am quite proud of the Quest. Many people told me it was a good engine and I have had no failures (except weird electrical things, i.e self locking doors at various times and some struggle with driver window. At a recent tune-up 15,000 after my 60,000 my mechanic asked if someone had changed my plugs recently cuz they were white and clean with no build up. It's been very reliable

Nissan Fan.......But the Quest??
By galleontrade44 on 10/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Quest XE 3dr Minivan

I have been a Nissan fan for quite some time now. I started driving a 89 Sentra, upgraded to a 96 Maxima, both cars exceeded my expectations. I have a 98 Quest XE I like the driver's sitting position, you can see almost everything in front of you. It has a powerful A/C, and the gas mileage is good. But after 2 years the powerlocks started giving me problems.I also had problems with the a/c controls it had to be replaced. oil pressure switch needs to be replaced and also the engine mounting was cracked four of them. I was not surprised to found out why this is happening, some parts of the van was made by Ford.

my luxury vehicle
By oceans_ofdreams on 09/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Quest XE 3dr Minivan

i have owned several mini vans in the past...and have found that mine nissan quest is by far the best for my needs...i have 6 grandchild...only 4 when i bought it...and the 7 passenger seating is what drew me to the quest...but after purchase...i realized it had everything i needed in a mini van...style, dependabilty, great in all weather, even snow...it seated everyone very comfortably...great gas mileage...we have taken it on several trips...and have always had the room and comfort of the luxury vehicles... i am very pleased that i purchased it...and i hope to be trading it for a newer model soon...thank you...for making such a great vehicle...

1998 Nissan Quest XE A Good Family Car!
By CJM on 06/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Quest XE 3dr Minivan

The Nissan Quest has been a very dependable, practical family vehicle. It drives very well with varied weather and road conditions! Easy movement of the back seat to expand the rear cargo space. Comfort and family durability ranks high for the interior. Drink cups in the middle seat were non existent which was an inconvenience to passengers seated in the middle! Easy maintenance and no major problems through the first 4 years.