1997 Nissan Quest - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Quest model:
Wish I Had Purchased Something Else
By maggies97 on 09/29/12 21:14 PM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Quest GXE 3dr Minivan

I actually purchased this van d/t all of the positive reviews here on Edmunds. I purchased my van at 192,000 miles from a couple who had pristine records on the van and claimed 'no problems' other than maintenance. This van has left me stranded twice now, including once while away in another state where I knew no one and was using the van to do a craft show. It seems to have a lot of issues with the fusing/ electrical system and I have had to had the fuel pump replaced. Yes, I understand it is an older van and repairs will be necessary, but I have sunk over $3000 in repairs in just the past 9 months I've had it. Wish I would have done more research.

wont stop till the tire drops
By georgescu on 12/28/09 17:35 PM (PST)

1997 Nissan Quest GXE 3dr Minivan

so we got the car with 196k its got 340 now starter just went out 25 bucks this car is insane and plus we drive alot!!!!!!!!! if u need a reliable car this car would be best for the penny pincher economy wise person and too this day it drives strong

97 Quest
By Steve on 06/22/09 15:07 PM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Quest GXE 3dr Minivan

I bought my Nissan Quest as brand new for my new born daughter, the A/C controller goes out twice, recently A/C just replace with refurbish system, Engine runs good never break down, HP is limited for lane passing. The brake make some noise but works fine to stop the car. No major repair.

Great for our family
By kgjmkan on 11/06/08 00:29 AM (PST)

1997 Nissan Quest GXE 3dr Minivan

After 6 years, we just sold our GXE. It was a fantastic van. The two tone color was beautiful, loved the style and was extremely reliable. Van was loaded: auto lights, premium stereo, auto sunroof, AC, cruise con, alloys etc. East to drive and comfortable. Best family vehicle we've had. Easy to drive. Not a bulky feeling van.

'97 GXE
By yankdolf on 05/30/07 07:19 AM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Quest GXE 3dr Minivan

Great minivan. Only a few annoying things: all buttons and switches were sticking. Rear wiper and side windows were electrically intermittent. Very reliable. 3.0 6-cyl is strong enough with decent gas mileage. Transmission was strong and could easily handle mountains. Never had a major issue with this van.

The longer the better
By Steve Lin on 11/04/06 21:23 PM (PST)

1997 Nissan Quest GXE 3dr Minivan

When this car just passed standard 3 years warranty, the a/c board goes out. But after that, this car engine has been so reliable and just change oil and pump gas. The other minor defect is the antenna went out twice on me. I put $450.00 Navigation System and no more upgrade needed.

142,000 and going strong
By GatorT on 08/23/05 09:42 AM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Quest GXE 3dr Minivan

This has been an excellent ride. I dislike the thought of giving it up - I may just wait until it is a decade old! Car has been extremely reliable. Small amount of regular maintenance has kept it very road worth. Recent strut replacement gives it back original smooth ride. Had trouble early on with door locks that seemed to have a mind of their own. Also, seat belts quit retracting early in the relationship. "Sarah" has been through much and still retains most of that "grilish" look. Happy the new model has second door. With kids getting older probably won't go for another van but definitely Nissan is a qulity producer of cars.

Would buy again
By Keith Grill on 12/27/04 17:51 PM (PST)

1997 Nissan Quest GXE 3dr Minivan

I have seen complaints about brake problems with the Nissan Quest, but the brakes on my '97 Quest were not touched until 100,000 miles, and then the rotors were in excellent shape and I just had a new set of premium quality pads installed (the rear were good). I replaced the timing belt and lower ball joints at about same time as brakes, and that's it! This van has never let me down. It starts great and gets me where I'm going.

3 yr old quest- threw rod- bad transmiss
By pam bryan on 08/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Quest GXE 3dr Minivan

3 yr old late model 1997 nissan quest threw rod through motor at 80000mi- same motor in Mercury Villager throwing rods was recalled.Nissan said too bad- Had transmission overheat, noise, low power on hills, brakes reground, rotors replaced sounded like you were dragging concrete blocks behind you- drove great first 2 yrs- then started falling apart- bought at $18,500 then salvage sale $3000 in 1/2001 through trade in- Toyota dealership shook their heads at it :(

A van that rides like a car!
By T.W. on 05/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Quest GXE 3dr Minivan

We were reluctant to trade our Outback for a van. It's that "I drive a mini van now I'm old" thing. After driving every available make there is, the Nissan won our hearts. Rides like a car, fits in the garage, still fits 4 kids with 2 adults. The only thing I would have done differently is buy a newer one to get the 2nd sliding door.