1997 Nissan Quest XE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Nissan Quest - Consumer Reviews

1997 Quest Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Quest model:

Sort Reviews by

17 years and still going
By sirshaggy

1997 Nissan Quest XE 3dr Minivan

My van now has 114,596 miles on it. This van has only been used for trips and a few times as a daily driver. I have been all over the West with it. I have followed the service interval from day 1. I run Amsoil always and have never had any major issue's. I've had 3 batteries, The alternator replaced at 86K, I had the brakes replaced at 45K & 90K, A fuel pump at 113K and just got my 4th set of tires on it. That said, I am just about to have shocks, struts and the brakes done as they have 3mm left. I am in need of the Drivers side master control switch (Power windows and locks) and a major service. Tune Up, Oil, Transmission, Power Steering fluid and coolant. It will last another 10 years easy

Favorite Features

Tip: When you have your Timing Belt replaced, do the tensioner, cam and crank seals as well as the water pump at the same time. This will save you hundreds in the end! This is true even for newer Nissan vehicles. This van averages 23MPG for me on trips. It only gets 15 around town. It drives straight and still has nearly no rattles. I'd say they built this one pretty well. Including the purchase price, insurance, all maintenance and repairs, Total Cost Of Ownership so far has been $197.67 per month since new. (17 years)

Suggested Improvements

The improvements I could suggest for this model have been done in the last 17 years LOL. It's an old car, that's how it works.

Mom's Fun Van!
By Mom4Five

1997 Nissan Quest XE 3dr Minivan

It has all the features I would ever really use. Great stereo, air conditioning, and heater. Comfortable seating all around. It is VERY reliable in quality and performance. Never a problem. The mini-van handles well around corners. It accelerates promptly when entering the freeway, even with a van full of high schoolers. This is my "No worries, Take me anywhere van!" I have never had to use the roof rack because I could just take out a bench seat to use it for hauling. I LOVE my mini-van!

Good for the long run
By CR

1997 Nissan Quest XE 3dr Minivan

The van to this point has been rather inexpensive to maintain. Very comfortable for long driving trips. No so good were the original tires, Generals. The van does not handle that well, I was passed up by Semi's on the Pennsylvania turnpike. Average fuel economy, the EPA sticker is a little optimistic for city mileage. Averages 16 in the city and 23 on highway.

Favorite Features

Plus points are good seating, heating, air conditioning, quiet ride, flexible cargo storage, good radio and radio controls. It has been reliable, and the paint finish held up despite not being garage kept.

Suggested Improvements

The heater and air conditioning controls are good if you have narrow fingers or do not wear gloves. It has a tendency to go through lower ball joints. I had to replace one at 35,000 miles and the other one at 45,000 miles needs replacing again.

Couldn't ask for a better vehicle
By 1997 nissan quest va

1997 Nissan Quest XE 3dr Minivan

The day I saw my Nissan I was so excited! I know it sounds like I was bringing home my baby for the first time, and it was! It rides great, it feels so open, and comfortable! Believe it or not but we still have our Nissan, and it still runs good (it's 10 years old) and it still looks good! I am selling it, only to buy another Quest! When talking about selling our van my 8 year old starts to cry because this is the only vehicle he has had to ride in and he loves it. he gets one seat and his sister gets the other. Everyone in our family has their place in this van! We love it!! It was truly a blessing from God when we got this van!

Favorite Features

The room is one of my favorite features. It rides good! We have had it for 10 years and have had almost no problems with it except normal up keep. We did buy our own center console.

Suggested Improvements

I really can't say a whole lot against it because ours is 10 years old with 162000 miles and it still runs pretty good. I would like better gas mileage, and the a/c to blow a little colder, but that's asking a lot from a 10 year old van.

1997 Nissan Quest
By css

1997 Nissan Quest XE 3dr Minivan

Bought it new in 97 and still have it. Excessive engine noise. Bad electrical problems (once for rear AC, twice for EGR valves), poor brakes, frequent tire wearout, transmission is sticking (I hope that does not break down before I sell). I have had fair share of problems for 114k miles. I would not buy another Nissan again.

Favorite Features

Roomy. Excellent for 7-8 passengers.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability and reduce wind noise. I wont buy another Nissan though.

Great Vehicle
By Hoosierfan01

1997 Nissan Quest XE 3dr Minivan

We've driven this van for the last 4 years and have been well pleased with its performance. The engine is rock- solid, requiring very few repairs despite the 153,000 miles on it. We drove it from Indiana to Florida three times without incident. The three vs. four doors became more of an issue once we had a fourth child, but before then it was not bad. The one downside is lack of storage space - tough to go on a trip without using the roof rack.

Quest
By Klaus

1997 Nissan Quest XE 3dr Minivan

My Quest has had some problems since I bought it. I have had to replace the flex pipe as it was rusted for $360 at Speedy Muffler. This quieted the exhaust substantially. The transmission used to bump abruptly into second gear but since I changed the tranny fluid and filter the smoothness has improved substantially. Air bag light came on one day but local Nissan dealer cleared the codes for free. They said it may have been caused by a low battery. These are great guys at Doner Nissan in Newmarket,Ontario.

Favorite Features

Power accessories. Kids like rear radio controls. Both rows of seats fold down quickly with little hassle.

Suggested Improvements

The newer models added a forth door which is desirable.

A reqal baby -- our '97 Quest
By Roger Jerrell

1997 Nissan Quest XE 3dr Minivan

This little mini-van has been the best car I have ever owned. She rides well, handles well, and just keeps on going. With nearly 300,000 miles and nothing but oil chanes and plug wires, it has worked perfectly. We jsut drove it this month( July 02- 15, 2005 ) from south Florida to Seattle Washington via the South Dakota Balands, Yellowstone National Park, The Grand Teton mounain range, the Rockies and it never missed a beat. 25 miles on the highway and 22 around town. I hope your car can compare with this little gem. Roger J. Fort Myers, Florida

Favorite Features

Suggested Improvements

4 doors

'97 Quest
By Sharon

1997 Nissan Quest XE 3dr Minivan

We bought the van used, with 84,00 miles already on it. Other than the wind noise edmunds mentions, we have had excellent service out of this van. It has great acceleration, fuel economy, and is quite comfortable on long trips. This particular van has the removable center row captain's chairs, which really makes a lot of room for cargo. Best used car I have ever owned.

Favorite Features

Removable center row seats, fuel economy, rear air, rear radio controls, maneuverability, reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Tighten up the body to reduce the excess wind noise

My experience with 97 Quest
By Hawklady

1997 Nissan Quest XE 3dr Minivan

Overall this van was a good choice. The only problems I`ve had were brakes constantly needing work done on them. The pads needed changing often.

Favorite Features

Smooth Ride When rear seat is removed there is alot of room for just about anything. Our family of 5 had plenty of room to travel and have leg room.

Suggested Improvements

The rear a/c needs to be redesigned.