Used 1997 Nissan Quest XE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Nissan Quest - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Quest model:

17 years and still going
By sirshaggy

1997 Nissan Quest XE 3dr Minivan

My van now has 114,596 miles on it. This van has only been used for trips and a few times as a daily driver. I have been all over the West with it. I have followed the service interval from day 1. I run Amsoil always and have never had any major issue's. I've had 3 batteries, The alternator replaced at 86K, I had the brakes replaced at 45K & 90K, A fuel pump at 113K and just got my 4th set of tires on it. That said, I am just about to have shocks, struts and the brakes done as they have 3mm left. I am in need of the Drivers side master control switch (Power windows and locks) and a major service. Tune Up, Oil, Transmission, Power Steering fluid and coolant. It will last another 10 years easy

Tip: When you have your Timing Belt replaced, do the tensioner, cam and crank seals as well as the water pump at the same time. This will save you hundreds in the end! This is true even for newer Nissan vehicles. This van averages 23MPG for me on trips. It only gets 15 around town. It drives straight and still has nearly no rattles. I'd say they built this one pretty well. Including the purchase price, insurance, all maintenance and repairs, Total Cost Of Ownership so far has been $197.67 per month since new. (17 years)

The improvements I could suggest for this model have been done in the last 17 years LOL. It's an old car, that's how it works.

Mom's Fun Van!
By Mom4Five

1997 Nissan Quest XE 3dr Minivan

It has all the features I would ever really use. Great stereo, air conditioning, and heater. Comfortable seating all around. It is VERY reliable in quality and performance. Never a problem. The mini-van handles well around corners. It accelerates promptly when entering the freeway, even with a van full of high schoolers. This is my "No worries, Take me anywhere van!" I have never had to use the roof rack because I could just take out a bench seat to use it for hauling. I LOVE my mini-van!

Good for the long run
By CR

1997 Nissan Quest XE 3dr Minivan

The van to this point has been rather inexpensive to maintain. Very comfortable for long driving trips. No so good were the original tires, Generals. The van does not handle that well, I was passed up by Semi's on the Pennsylvania turnpike. Average fuel economy, the EPA sticker is a little optimistic for city mileage. Averages 16 in the city and 23 on highway.

Plus points are good seating, heating, air conditioning, quiet ride, flexible cargo storage, good radio and radio controls. It has been reliable, and the paint finish held up despite not being garage kept.

The heater and air conditioning controls are good if you have narrow fingers or do not wear gloves. It has a tendency to go through lower ball joints. I had to replace one at 35,000 miles and the other one at 45,000 miles needs replacing again.

Couldn't ask for a better vehicle
By 1997 nissan quest va

1997 Nissan Quest XE 3dr Minivan

The day I saw my Nissan I was so excited! I know it sounds like I was bringing home my baby for the first time, and it was! It rides great, it feels so open, and comfortable! Believe it or not but we still have our Nissan, and it still runs good (it's 10 years old) and it still looks good! I am selling it, only to buy another Quest! When talking about selling our van my 8 year old starts to cry because this is the only vehicle he has had to ride in and he loves it. he gets one seat and his sister gets the other. Everyone in our family has their place in this van! We love it!! It was truly a blessing from God when we got this van!

The room is one of my favorite features. It rides good! We have had it for 10 years and have had almost no problems with it except normal up keep. We did buy our own center console.

I really can't say a whole lot against it because ours is 10 years old with 162000 miles and it still runs pretty good. I would like better gas mileage, and the a/c to blow a little colder, but that's asking a lot from a 10 year old van.

1997 Nissan Quest
By css

1997 Nissan Quest XE 3dr Minivan

Bought it new in 97 and still have it. Excessive engine noise. Bad electrical problems (once for rear AC, twice for EGR valves), poor brakes, frequent tire wearout, transmission is sticking (I hope that does not break down before I sell). I have had fair share of problems for 114k miles. I would not buy another Nissan again.

Roomy. Excellent for 7-8 passengers.

Reliability and reduce wind noise. I wont buy another Nissan though.