Used 1997 Nissan Quest Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Nissan Quest - Consumer Reviews

1997 Nissan Quest

View reviews for a specific Quest model:

17 years and still going
By sirshaggy

1997 Nissan Quest XE 3dr Minivan

My van now has 114,596 miles on it. This van has only been used for trips and a few times as a daily driver. I have been all over the West with it. I have followed the service interval from day 1. I run Amsoil always and have never had any major issue's. I've had 3 batteries, The alternator replaced at 86K, I had the brakes replaced at 45K & 90K, A fuel pump at 113K and just got my 4th set of tires on it. That said, I am just about to have shocks, struts and the brakes done as they have 3mm left. I am in need of the Drivers side master control switch (Power windows and locks) and a major service. Tune Up, Oil, Transmission, Power Steering fluid and coolant. It will last another 10 years easy

Favorite Features

Tip: When you have your Timing Belt replaced, do the tensioner, cam and crank seals as well as the water pump at the same time. This will save you hundreds in the end! This is true even for newer Nissan vehicles. This van averages 23MPG for me on trips. It only gets 15 around town. It drives straight and still has nearly no rattles. I'd say they built this one pretty well. Including the purchase price, insurance, all maintenance and repairs, Total Cost Of Ownership so far has been $197.67 per month since new. (17 years)

Suggested Improvements

The improvements I could suggest for this model have been done in the last 17 years LOL. It's an old car, that's how it works.

Wish I Had Purchased Something Else
By maggies97

1997 Nissan Quest GXE 3dr Minivan

I actually purchased this van d/t all of the positive reviews here on Edmunds. I purchased my van at 192,000 miles from a couple who had pristine records on the van and claimed 'no problems' other than maintenance. This van has left me stranded twice now, including once while away in another state where I knew no one and was using the van to do a craft show. It seems to have a lot of issues with the fusing/ electrical system and I have had to had the fuel pump replaced. Yes, I understand it is an older van and repairs will be necessary, but I have sunk over $3000 in repairs in just the past 9 months I've had it. Wish I would have done more research.

Favorite Features

I do like the 6-disc magazine CD player-- that's probably my favorite part of the van. It has power windows, seats, etc. that work ok.

Suggested Improvements

Could be much more reliable as far as the fuel pump, electrical system, fusing, etc.

Mom's Fun Van!
By Mom4Five

1997 Nissan Quest XE 3dr Minivan

It has all the features I would ever really use. Great stereo, air conditioning, and heater. Comfortable seating all around. It is VERY reliable in quality and performance. Never a problem. The mini-van handles well around corners. It accelerates promptly when entering the freeway, even with a van full of high schoolers. This is my "No worries, Take me anywhere van!" I have never had to use the roof rack because I could just take out a bench seat to use it for hauling. I LOVE my mini-van!

wont stop till the tire drops
By georgescu

1997 Nissan Quest GXE 3dr Minivan

so we got the car with 196k its got 340 now starter just went out 25 bucks this car is insane and plus we drive alot!!!!!!!!! if u need a reliable car this car would be best for the penny pincher economy wise person and too this day it drives strong

Favorite Features

gas and just first key it starts m

Suggested Improvements

the one thing that would have been nice for this car is a more durable oil pan seal other than that a tank... wont die till the tire falls off

97 Quest
By Steve

1997 Nissan Quest GXE 3dr Minivan

I bought my Nissan Quest as brand new for my new born daughter, the A/C controller goes out twice, recently A/C just replace with refurbish system, Engine runs good never break down, HP is limited for lane passing. The brake make some noise but works fine to stop the car. No major repair.

Favorite Features

reliable engine never need to call AAA for road assistance. Captain Seats arrangement

Suggested Improvements

More HP, more MPG, A/C quality, Brake quality