Worst car experience ever!
By lodinpdx on
2014 Nissan Pathfinder Platinum Hybrid 4dr SUV 4WD (2.5L 4cyl S/C gas/electric hybrid CVT)
This has been the absolute worst car experience I have ever had. We really wanted an SUV with three rows and decent gas mileage. We were exited when we found the Pathfinder Hybrid with promises of 25 miles to the gallon in the city and 28 on the highway. This all seemed too good to be true so we bought it. By day 2 I was very frustrated as I was getting 14 miles to the gallon! I tried to return the car but was told to keep driving, it would get better or Nissan would have to do something. Now I have driven over 1000 miles and seem to be getting about 17 miles to the gallon a far cry form 25! I have talked to Consumer Affairs as well as the dealership and no one has done anything.
Favorite Features
I do like the interior of the car. I love the heated/cooling seats as well as the heated steering wheel. I would love the display screen telling me my gas mileage if it was telling me good news but now I feel that it mocks me.
Suggested Improvements
Obviously I would like to improve the gas mileage and the accuracy of the ratings. Based on the other person's review it is possible that there is just something wrong with my particular car. Perhaps the battery is faulty so then I would like to fix the diagnostic process and the customer service.
By frozentone
on 04/24/14 21:01 PM (PDT)

Make sure the overdrive is enabled and that your towing mode is disabled. Make sure you are in Drive and not Low. Make sure your parking break is disengaged (not stuck, etc). Don't use a lead foot or ride the brakes. Finally, make sure you are not running a high ethanol blend. Any of these issues will lower your mileage.

By evacman
on 05/26/14 12:45 PM (PDT)

I believe the manual says not to read too much into the Fuel Economy numbers until you've driven the car 4000 miles. It needs time to learn your driving habits. Everyone's driving habits are different. The tips provided above are good ones. I just bought this car over the weekend and by the time I got home (most of the trip home was freeway), the first reading was 26.7 miles per gallon. The 2012 Pathfinder I just traded in got about 17.5 miles/gallon on average. I also have a Nissan Leaf electric car, and it's the same thing. Sometimes I saw the max range as high as 109 miles, but that was with lots of stopping and going on city streets, but on average it is 96 miles. My suggestion would be to give it time and think about how your driving in order to maximize the fuel economy. Good luck!