2014 Nissan Pathfinder Consumer Reviews

2014 Nissan Pathfinder - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pathfinder model:

2014 Pathfinder Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
Super Charger Problems
By abruzz

2014 Nissan Pathfinder SL Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl S/C gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Purchased suv in July of 2014. Two months later, I was driving I heard a pop and thought I had run over a metal band. As I continued to drive I noticed the suv was overheating. Called dealership and they had suv towed in. They also arranged a rental for me. Approximately 10 days later, I picked up suv. Was told super charger seized and they had to pull out engine to replace it. Then in January of 2015 same thing happened. SUV towed in and was given a rental. Approx 8 days later, I p/u SUV and told same exact problem. Now I am afraid to take long trips. I fear that super charger will seize again. Also noticed that Nissan no longer making the hybrid. I assume mine is a lemon.

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage when not running a/c. Awesome nav and sound system.

Suggested Improvements

Find out why super charger continues to seize

Almost perfect
By tykes

2014 Nissan Pathfinder SL 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Updated review- Bought 2014 SL 4x4 in Aug. 2013. 3k - 5k miles we experienced the shudder, took it into the dealer, they fixed it. 22k miles the CVT started acting up again, took it in and they replaced the transmission! At 32k miles it did it again, again they adjusted it, at 37k it hasn't done it again, so far. We have been very lucky/happy with our dealer and the service they have provided us with on this issue. Pro's - Smooth ride, great features, love the leg room, good gas mileage, fun to drive, reasonably priced, Got into head on collision, very impressed with the safety features of this car. Car was totaled. Really love this car but will not buy again until CVT is fixed.

Favorite Features

Shoulder strap in back middle seat (rare) a plus in our accident. Safe and reliable, with the exception of the CVT.

Suggested Improvements

Fix CVT, Seats could be more comfortable

Overall - poor designed car
By amirse

2014 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

1. The Noise coming from the CVT engine is awful. Something that was never heard in any other car. Nissan Canada claim this is normal for this car. 2. connection between the fuel consumption that Nissan advertised and reality is absolutely non-exist. Expect around 30% more. 3. Quality of interior materials super low. Just move your hand in the inner part of the steering wheel.. Hope you will not cut yourself from that poorly manufactured plastic parts.

Favorite Features

Nice exterior design

Suggested Improvements

Only one suggestion .... Buy Toyota. Better cars and better service. Twice in my life I gave Nissan a chance, twice I was disappointed.

Drive train troubles
By retiredbill

2014 Nissan Pathfinder Platinum 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Vehicle worked flawlessly till 7500 miles. At that time there was loud knock and vibration from trans area. Since then there is intermittent vibrations and shudders. Dealer 1st stated they can find nothing, then, this is normal. If normal, I think it should happen all the time. Dealer then stated it sounds like torque converter, but won't fix. Told factory rep would contact, but never did. Am afraid vehicle will let me sit. Would consider trading, but was told value is zip due to vehicle transmission reputation. Would love Nissan to step up to the plate ands repair / replace. Anyone listening?

Favorite Features

all around camera. rear seat operation, dvd player,heated and cooled seats, all around design. As stated previously, vehicle was great till 7500 miles. Would highly recommend if this flaw was corrected.

Suggested Improvements

Stand up and fix the 2013 and 2014 vehicles. Restore faith in your brand

CVT problems
By pksuvan

2014 Nissan Pathfinder SL 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Purchased in April 2014 (same month vehicle was assembled). I was aware of the CVT issues before purchasing but hoped that Nissan had fixed the problem with newer builds. No such luck. Last weekend the problems began. Shudders, power loss, surging etc.. Pathfinder no longer safe to drive. Nissan replacing transmission under warranty. 19,000km on the odometer. No other complaints with this vehicle.

Disappointment - Transmission Failure
By gol_den2

2014 Nissan Pathfinder SL 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Purchased this vehicle new in May 2014. In October 2014 with less than 5,000 miles the transmission began slipping at speeds above 60mph. Took it to dealer who said may be bad gas and to fill up once with 89 octane. In November 2014, the transmission slipped constantly (No warning lights came on). Took it to dealer, they confirmed it was a bad transmission. They said they were putting a new transmission in however it is still in the shop so I am unable to validate if it is new or a remanufactured transmission that is going in it. A vehicle with less than 6k miles and cost $45K a total disappointment. Stay away from the Pathfinder.

Transmission Problems
By unklbuk

2014 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

we just turned over 13,000km and the transmission failed. The Nissan dealer outlined they ordered a new one and would install it at no charge. Good deal. Problem- They put a remanufactured transmission in a brand new vehicle. BAD BAD BAD. Check the warranty documents as they are allowed to do this under their manufacturers warranty. I cannot believe that you spend 50K on a new vehicle and when you have a problem they put a USED transmission in it and call it new....

Good Crossover
By taskman

2014 Nissan Pathfinder SL 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

We bought this pathfinder AWD back in May 2014 we have put over 6,500mi on it and have had no problems. After owning an Expedition for several years initially I was hesitant to move to this crossover especially because the bad press for CVTs. The overall experience has been positive still able to tow my 18' boat at the same time save gas for daily use. Although the switch from traditional automatic to CTV is not 100% transparent (you need to adapt between keep pressing down the gas vs. hold or overdrive vs. automatically braking with engine for downhill's) at the end of the day it deliver a good experience.

Favorite Features

Overall suspension does a good job in mild off road conditions and very comfortable for long trips; 4x4 selection modes Tow mode The bose audio system

Suggested Improvements

Ground clerance

absolutely the best SUV you can buy for the money.
By nettech

First off, this is our second 2014 Pathfinder. We purchased a standard SL V-6 Model last year, and grew to love it so much, we traded in my eight year old Camry hybrid for a Hybrid model Pathfinder. It retains all the comfort and smooth handling of its V-6 cousin, but adds in some very impressive MPG numbers to boot. I'm only on my third tank of gas after owning it for two months, and Fuel Economy has improved with every tankful (27, 29, and now 31 MPG). It's actually a bit quieter then it's V-6 cousin, due to the extra sound deadening material, and the transition from engine to EV mode is a lot less noticeable then it was in my old Camry hybrid. Nissan gets an A+ for this model.

Favorite Features

Comfort and size are ideal for a growing family. There are cup holders everywhere, which is my wife's favorite feature. Since it's still a Pathfinder, the 5-star safety rating carries over and that's also a big plus. The car drives very smooth, and let's in minimal road noise...it's as quiet as some luxury cars I've driven. But of course, if you're considering this version, fuel economy is on your mind, and this vehicle delivers with fuel economy numbers in the high 20s/low 30s, which are exceptional for a 4,400 lb. beast.

Suggested Improvements

The faux chrome on the exterior and faux brushed aluminum in the interior trim still look chincy, especially on a $40k car. It stands out even more in the charcoal interior. As for future improvements, apparently there won't be any, as Nissan hasn't placed the hybrid in the lineup for 2015. A one year production run seems too short for a vehicle that delivers so well on its promise of safety, fuel economy, and comfort, but alas, if you are considering one, do so before they sell out.

I waited before deciding to review ....
By woody35

2014 Nissan Pathfinder Platinum 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Had heard about the shuddering challenges, decided to purchase anyway - alas, at low miles it started to shudder, talked to my dealer and was told it was nothing ..... On a road trip to Canada it got to the point I was ready to return the vehicle once we got home. Called Nissan directly who directed me to the nearest dealer, who identified, addressed and fixed the problem within hours! Only have good things to say about them. LOVE this car, it offers everything plus more! I researched the rest, then purchased the best! Ride, comfort, features OUTSTANDING.

Favorite Features

Ride, comfort, sliding middle row proves great leg room. The ability to separate my children when needed!

Suggested Improvements

I like all the bells and whistles, that said, not sure I'm using half of them. There isn't anything that drives me crazy, would I like better gas mileage? Sure! Then again I researched SUV's to death before making my choice.