Used 2013 Nissan Pathfinder SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Nissan Pathfinder SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pathfinder model:

Nissan Pathfinder Beware transmission problems in
By Kevin

2013 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SL 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Run fast do not buy a Nissan Pathfinder You will regret it trust me!!!!!

So much potential so much maintenance
By B Haden

2013 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SV 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

We leased a 2013 Nissan Pathfinder SV for 36 months. We enjoyed the vehicle appearance interior and performance. Unfortunately the transmission continually had issues in this car. We truly wanted it to work out but the dealer repeatedly informed us Nissan did not have a solution to fix the CVT transmission. We were told over and over Nissan is aware of the problem but only certain models were recalled. As we approached the end of our lease and that 36,000 mile warranty cut off we decided it was time to dump the Nissan because we did not want to risk replacing the transmission on our own dime. The last thing we needed was to be a few miles over the warranty and forced to pay for transmission they claim they couldn't fix. Boy were we surprised when the resale value was nowhere near the residual Nissan had hoped it would be worth. After calling Nissan corporate numerous times to discuss the problem with him very calmly no one really cared. We were truly shocked as we were willing to spend as much more in an Infiniti product. We ultimately decided to buy a reliable trustworthy Toyota Highlander and eat the negative equity Nissan didn't want to deal with. It's really a shame because we will certainly tell everyone we know about the risk you take when you purchase the Pathfinder. Overall a great vehicle but just not worth the risk because Nissan will not back you. You can get the same great gas mileage without the sketchy CVT transmission that Nissan uses to achieve good gas mileage.

So much for a new design
By carly13mky

2013 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SV 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I had nothing but problems with this vehicle. I was in and out of the shop with problems. From the airbag sensor, replacing the roof rail seals, and misc recalls. There were several other smaller issues, but one that could not be fixed and caused the dealership to trade my vehicle was something was wrong with the transmission. I would be driving in traffic, or in a school zone, hovering around 20mph, and the car would not accellerate. I had to either slam the break or turn off the car and restart it to get it to move. the dealership had it 3 or 4 times and "could not duplicate the problem". i sent a video in highway traffic to Nissan, nothing. i don't know if they ever figured it out.

Fix break lock / transmission issue. Complete safety nightmare.

Transmission Issues
By ironjasper

2013 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SL 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

We bought our '13 Pathfinder SL 4WD in August of 2013. Within two months we started to feel the CVT Transmission shuddering under light throttle applications. We had the car in the shop four times for this issue, but they could never replicate the problem. After the shuddering started to become progressively worse and became a safety concern, we finally asked the dealer to buy the car back for the balance of our loan. Happily, they agreed, and we were given $6000 more than the Kelly Blue Book trade value. Other than the transmission issue, the car was very nice. It rode great and got very good MPG for a mid-sized CUV ....

Great MPG for its size and performance .... Very nice ride and decent level of standard equipment.

From everything I have read, and the fact that our dealer bought ours back, I do not believe there is a fix for the transmission shuddering issue at this time. The '14 models are also experiencing this problem as well as the Infinity crossover that uses the same platform. If this problem is fixed at some point in the future, this is a nice vehicle and worth consideration when shopping for a mid-sized CUV ...

A little trouble expected
By reviewer17

2013 Nissan Pathfinder SUV Platinum 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

With 2 kids now and carpooling I needed something with a third row. I love it because it's not totally huge but the inside (even the third row) is very roomy. I especially like the second row folds forward even with car seat in it. We got the car in Dec of 2012. We got one of the first ones in our state and When we got there they were still cleaning it up and saw them taking stickers off some of the interior that said Infiniti on them. Yes this platinum addition has the interior of a luxury car/SUV . Now on performance. The car drives great!!!! I have had the car a year and a half and have over 10000. I have had zero issues except for the recall on airbag and brakes.

roomy third row, luxury interior, all the bells and whistles including bose stereo system. drives great

it took three trips to the dealership to fix the airbag problem. Largely because mine was one of the first ones and they didn't know what the problem was because the recall hadn't happened yet. In fact, it wasn't until the recall that they did fix it. I think if you are buying a new to the market car you have to expect some glitches that wont show to the dealer until its been mass marketed. If you don't want to deal with that you should probable wait until its been out a year or two before purchasing. With that said I completely understand the frustration with the major transmission probs and i would feel the same. I think Nissan still makes a great car and will hopefully make things ri