2008 Nissan Pathfinder Consumer Review: 100% reliable so far

2008 Nissan Pathfinder - Consumer Review

S 4dr SUV (4.0L V6 5-speed Automatic)

100% reliable so far
By Dave on

2008 Nissan Pathfinder S 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I had to go out and drive my Pathfinder to see what everyone is talking about vis-a-vis the transmission. Basically it clunks if you go on and off the gas when travelling around 40mph. I drive with a smooth throttle foot so I never noticed it. My wife, on the other hand, drives with a continuous throttle-on-throttle-off style so I'd imagine that she would elicit that type of transmission behavior, but she would never notice it because, well, frankly she's mechanically clueless. Thankfully I drive it 90% of the time so I don't think we'll need to replace the transmission, u-joints, or rear diff anytime soon.

Favorite Features

Heck, even with the base model you get power steering, power brakes, power windows, power mirrors, A/C, and a radio. What more do you need? We live on an island, so fancy stuff like nav is useless - we already know our way around. The only option we got was the side curtain airbags, just in case.

Suggested Improvements

I wonder if Nissan could improve the fuel economy? Maybe a cylinder cutoff feature? At 3,500 miles we're averaging 18.6 and it continues to improve a little bit, but still, gas ain't getting cheaper - currently it costs us $75 to fill 'er up.