Used 2008 Nissan Pathfinder SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Nissan Pathfinder - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pathfinder model:

Worse vehicle I have ever bought!
By Bon

2008 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this vehicle after reading reviews on how good this vehicle was and on advice from other people - worse mistake I have made regarding a vehicle purchase. Picked up the car and within 35 miles the check engine light came on, took it back to the service department, they said they fixed it and 35 miles later, the check engine light was back on - stayed in the shop almost 2 weeks. Have had it home 1 month and it is back in the shop now because of some other problem. I've had this car less than 2 months and it's been in the shop more than I've had it home!!!

Favorite Features

Back up camera

Suggested Improvements

Get the engine and parts working right before you put it on the market

Pathfinder Tranny/cruise/handling issues
By Aviatorduke

2008 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Well built vehicle, typical Nissan workmanship and design in the build. Very happy with the power to weight. Gets up and goes for a vehicle in this class. As another contributor stated and I have to agree I too like the "throaty" sound with acceleration. Great towing power and good off road handling with the 4x4. On the downside I think the tires are too soft for the vehicle weight and at highway speed it is very sloppy and wanders. I too experience what seems like tranny lurching on downhill grades but I found if I turned the cruise off it stopped. Seems as vehicle gets driven more it is better - not sure what that is all about. During servicing I have brought that issue to dealership.

Favorite Features

The XM radio and sound system. Backup cam is awesome! My wife has had issues backing up and that has helped her! Like the fuel computer. Love the big comfortable front "arm chairs" and the heated seats are great in the "minus a million" weather!

Suggested Improvements

Could use a bit more HP to perhaps give a a little better fuel mileage (power to weight). Bluetooth - come on Nissan it is 2008! Putting in the nav system with the backup cam would be better. How about some arm rests for the front seat folks in the big arm chairs! Fix the power train issue fast!

Mother and Dog owner POV
By Happy Nissan Owner

2008 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Pros: Rugged interior makes for a easier clean when you have dogs in the back. The whole back cargo area of my SE has a rubber/plastic type floor and walls that make dog hair in the vehical a lot more manageable. Doors open really wide and the doorway is nice and wide/tall (great for loading and unloading kids from car seats! Two sets of rear vents that help keep your kids/dogs at the same temperature as you (I hated in my Jeep GC SUV that I would be boiling in the front with the heat and my daughter would be freezing in the second row with no vents). 3 rows of seats are real handy if you ever are in a bind and need to move some extra kids. Backup camera is great with kids/dog

Favorite Features

Rugged interior. Rear heat/air vents. Nice wide and tall doors. Backup camera on the SE model. Better gas mileage then my Jeep Grand Cherokee. Better ride then my Jeep (if you are complaining about the truck like ride on this SUV then do not buy a SUV. Buy a car! Quiet, can barely hear the engine.

Suggested Improvements

Why the heck does the SE model not come standard with automatic lights?! Needs heated mirrors. Move the stinking dash radio on/off/volume control. My husband hits it every time he tries to turn off the engine resulting in the radio blasting Need more room for 3rd row. Only good for small kids

2nd Time Around
By patricio

2008 Nissan Pathfinder SUV LE-V8 4dr SUV 4WD (5.6L 8cyl 5A)

This is my 6th Nissan/Datsun and my 2nd Pathfinder, In just a few short months I have managed to put on approx. 3000 miles and have driven in some of the worst winter driving conditions I can remember. I had the opportunity to drive from Northern Alberta through the Rockies to Vancouver shortly after I took delivery of my new Pathfinder. The V8 power, all wheel drive and luxury appointments made for a great trip and despite the blinding snowstorm and icy conditions it was a very reassuring knowing I was driving a Pathfinder. No problems and the handling was excellent along the way. I can hardly wait until summer. By the way gas mileage was above my expectations as was price vs value.

Favorite Features

Heated steering wheel, seats, shifttronic, all-wheel drive, sound system, display and all around luxury appointments. Power and handling were exceptional as was the traction control system. I'd rather have a vehicle I can take offroad than a SUV not capable of handling the rough roads of the Rockies

Impressive!
By dep22

2008 Nissan Pathfinder SUV LE-V8 4dr SUV 4WD (5.6L 8cyl 5A)

Other than gas mileage which we expected with the V8, we LOVE our Pathfinder! The outside is quite attractive and it rides like a dream. If I could change anything it would be to make the inside a bit more luxurious, it is very practical.

Favorite Features

Navigation system is great!

Suggested Improvements

Third row is pointless unless you are 2 feet tall =(