Used 2006 Nissan Pathfinder SUV Consumer Reviews - 148 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Nissan Pathfinder SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pathfinder model:

Love her durability, hate her defects
By Busy Mom

2006 Nissan Pathfinder SUV S 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Don't get me wrong, my Nissan Pathfinder has literally been a valued member of my family for 10 years. It has transported my family very well, and she has only put me down on the side of the road (in another state, mind you) once. I have had to have numerous and costly repairs, though, but I did give her a run for her money in commuting and travel miles.

I would buy another one of these (at a price at which I could afford the fixes) because of its durability, safety, nice look, spacious cargo area once third row of seats is folded down, family friendliness and powerful engine.

Here's the ugly: The transmission/radiator issue (cost me $2,500) mentioned by others is very real, as are the issues with constant brake repairs (my second or third set of rotors and pads) and O2 sensors (cost me $500)/catalytic converters (I'm scared to find out how much that is going to cost me, but the repairman's facial expression said it all as he recommended another mechanic to fix it). I also had a problem with my battery cables corroding (fixed that a couple times) and a tire going up and down (but I changed out the rims & tires, which was a costly fix for that problem). The cigarette lighters I use for my phone charger never really worked right (one may have a blown fuse, other seems to have a short). The front seats are very uncomfortable, my leg seems to rest against the bulky side of the center console. And I didn't realize how difficult the steering was until I drove other cars and nearly oversteered because of the ease. These things have aggravated and maybe even help lead to aches, pains and even a wrist surgery I've had (I spend a lot of time in my car).

It's a great car if you get it at a good price that takes into account that you'll need to replace the transmission, 02 sensor and cats at some point.

Biggest piece of crap I've ever owned!
By Kari Visser

2006 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

DO NOT BUY THIS VEHICLE! At 93,000 miles we've already replaced u joints, tie rods, brakes (twice!), water pump, driver's side window door motor, O2 sensor, tire pressure sensors, gas tank sensor and now we've got the dreaded radiator/tranmisson issue! That's just the mechanical issues. The cosmetic issues are rust spots all over the back hatch and in the drivers side door well. We've been loyal Nissan customers for over 20 years. This is the 5th one we've owned. That all changes going forward. I am completely, 100% done with Nissan. When you talk to them on the phone and give them the break down of repairs and that you've spent over $6K in repairs, they are totally unsympathetic, even going so far as to say "It's a man made product. Nothing made by man is perfect.". WHAT??? This thing has been slowly falling apart for 8 years, that's not the imperfection of man. That's low quality, poor design and bad construction! Take your excuses to someone you didn't swindle $30K from, Nissan. Buh-bye. I'll give Toyota your love.

Unbelievably poor craftsmanship!
By Greg Brown

2006 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The radiator transmission should have been a recall $3,000 in repair. The timing chain tensioner should have been a recall $4,500 in repair. Nissan does not stand behind their vehicles. This vehicle has cost my family of five more money than any other vehicle 3x fold. Will never ever ever buy another Nissan did I say ever. Worst company I've ever dealt with in my life.

No more Nissan.
By Anonymous

2006 Nissan Pathfinder SUV LE 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

It sucks period. Nissan should be out of business, give it one star but it don't deserve that

No more Nissans for our family
By junknissan

2006 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We have purchased 5 Nissans new and used since 2000. 3 Xterras by my mother who now 74 years old, and 2 Pathfinders by me. The 2006 Pathfinder was junk after 40K. The front impeller shaft joint went bad 40K. The steering column replaced at 46K. A running board became loose, and needed replaced. Fog lights worked when they were in the mood at 60K. Then we got to 87K. Radiator cut loose and mixed the coolant and trans fluid. At the time all Nissan would offer is a discounted price of $4000 to do the repair. So I went onto ebay bought a $100 replacement radiator, and had Jiffy Lube flush the tranny. I took it to a Chevy dealer and dumped it for a Silverado 4x4 crew cab. The tranny was slipping.

Great room - Very Powerful

Take better care of customers when there is a problem.