Used 2006 Nissan Pathfinder S SUV Consumer Reviews - 7 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Nissan Pathfinder SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pathfinder model:

Love her durability, hate her defects
By Busy Mom

2006 Nissan Pathfinder SUV S 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Don't get me wrong, my Nissan Pathfinder has literally been a valued member of my family for 10 years. It has transported my family very well, and she has only put me down on the side of the road (in another state, mind you) once. I have had to have numerous and costly repairs, though, but I did give her a run for her money in commuting and travel miles.

I would buy another one of these (at a price at which I could afford the fixes) because of its durability, safety, nice look, spacious cargo area once third row of seats is folded down, family friendliness and powerful engine.

Here's the ugly: The transmission/radiator issue (cost me $2,500) mentioned by others is very real, as are the issues with constant brake repairs (my second or third set of rotors and pads) and O2 sensors (cost me $500)/catalytic converters (I'm scared to find out how much that is going to cost me, but the repairman's facial expression said it all as he recommended another mechanic to fix it). I also had a problem with my battery cables corroding (fixed that a couple times) and a tire going up and down (but I changed out the rims & tires, which was a costly fix for that problem). The cigarette lighters I use for my phone charger never really worked right (one may have a blown fuse, other seems to have a short). The front seats are very uncomfortable, my leg seems to rest against the bulky side of the center console. And I didn't realize how difficult the steering was until I drove other cars and nearly oversteered because of the ease. These things have aggravated and maybe even help lead to aches, pains and even a wrist surgery I've had (I spend a lot of time in my car).

It's a great car if you get it at a good price that takes into account that you'll need to replace the transmission, 02 sensor and cats at some point.

Dangerous Car
By driver1962

2006 Nissan Pathfinder SUV S 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought a 2006 Nissan Pathfinder with 50,000 miles on it.
In about 2 years the car started shaking and vibrating on the highway.
I started researching and found out this is a serious problem with Nissan Pathfinders 2005-2011.
The Radiator fluid mixes with the transmission fluid and causes damage and puts i you in danger in the middle of the road.
The estimate today from Nissan dealer, $10, 088 and I owe $10, 000 on the car!
Do your homework.
The frustrating entries about this car are all over the internet, including class action lawsuits!

Recall Radiator/transmission parts and fix at no cost to consumer that trusted your product.

Pathfinder Radiator leak into Tranny
By Donna from Lanc PA

2006 Nissan Pathfinder SUV S 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased a brand new Pathfinder in 2006. A few days ago, the engine light came on. I took it to Apple York Nissan(n/c the customer service in Lancaster PA is TERRIBLE) and they informed me that I need a new transmission and radiator. I looked this up online and it happens that many people have come across this. I have a HARD time swallowing the fact that I need to shell out $5900 for a car that is not even 5 years old! Does Nisan stand by ts cars? Hell no! Would I EVER buy from them again? Hell NO! Customer service was downright awful in Lancaster. York was better. This seems to be a ongoing prob with Nissan, I have researched this prob and many people have had it...its time

Nissan. Take ownership and responsibility for the prob. I purchased a brand new car from you, you do not stand by your vehicle. The car is not even 5 years old. Come on! Really?

Smooth Sailing SUV
By Ty

2006 Nissan Pathfinder SUV S 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I used to hear of SUV as being cumbersome and consuming. But, our Nissan Pathfinder 2006 is none of that. It is very comfortable and rolls with ease. Above all our kids are always shrieking with joy whenever its time to go out with the SUV..because it has so much space for them to pull hairs and hide! I have never regretted it, more so its ability to consume as little gas as an Xterra but more satisfying for me, my spouse and our entire family

Space, family-friendly and beauty

Overall good Pathfinder
By jason

2006 Nissan Pathfinder SUV S 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Well built vehicle, but very cramped in back seat for anyone over 4 1/2 feet tall. MPG has been a constant 20 and 21 since we got. Very Quiet vehicle. slightly shorter than XTERRA, and not as rugged. Hits my head as I am getting in any door.

Engine---lotsa horsepower and torque, and the toe hitch is high for the bike rack. Rear window opens separate from the the actual rear hatch. Very smart!! Rear seat is perfect for my 9 year old!!Seats can fold down rather easily, and leave a lot of room!!

Wished the back seats were like the Xterras and can be pulled. Rear seat is very cramped. Very low ceiling. In S model, luggage rack comes, but no crossbars!!! Hard to hear radio in the 3rd row seat