2006 Nissan Pathfinder - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pathfinder model:
176,000 miles and still going...
By ccmercer on 12/11/13 10:13 AM (PST)

2006 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Pathfinder new in 2006. With two kids and my job, I'm constantly on the road. This SUV has lead up to its name. It's been everywhere. I keep the oil changed regularly, on my 3rd set of tires & brakes. It does a great job. Other than the typical wear issues, the only thing I can complain about is the 93 octane fuel requirement. With gas prices as high as they are, it's not unusual to pay $60+ for a tank of gas. I tried the 87 octane the first year, and I did not like the performance. I went back to 93 octane and haven't changed. I've had nine vehicles in my life, and this is the only car I've driven that has never given me problems. It's a great vehicle.

Owned since new
By admiralforever on 09/07/12 07:49 AM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned my Pathfinder LE since new when I bought it in early 07. I have not had any problems with it. It currently has 52K and change miles on it. I have not had the radiator failure like most people have, the brakes are still good. I did get the TPMS sensors replaced because the dealer broke one but they paid for it. I am glad I have this SUV and the fact that is is a 2006 it has more horsepower and torque than the later models, since Nissan detuned the 4.0l V6 so they can sell the V8. I have driven it cross country four times and it never gave me any problems.

major problems!!!!!
By lovebaby24 on 06/27/12 19:13 PM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have had my car 3 years and i am still making payments i have replaced the cadillac converters and one co2 sensor which has cost me 2200.00. Now i found out my tranmission is slipping which if you do research on it alot of people are having the same problem! No recall i guess nissan could care less about you after the sale will never own another one!!!!!!

45,300 miles and going strong
By mgonzalez on 06/13/12 11:32 AM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

After 6 years of truoble-free service pulling a 21 ft Boston Whaler (occassionally) I recently had the fuel gauge problem. The dealer notified me of the extended warranty for this issue but that it has expired a day earlier! What? I called Nissan Consumer Affairs and after some back and forth with the dealer they approved the repair under warranty. Nissan even will reimburse the $99.00 "diagnosis" fee from the dealer. I was also informed of the extended warranty for the transmission/coolant issue until 6/2014 or 80,000 miles. So far, no problems with that. The vehicle sits outside all the time in FL. No problems with the exterior or interior. Still have the OEM tires.

Dangerous Car
By driver1962 on 06/05/12 14:46 PM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Pathfinder S 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought a 2006 Nissan Pathfinder with 50,000 miles on it. In about 2 years the car started shaking and vibrating on the highway. I started researching and found out this is a serious problem with Nissan Pathfinders 2005-2011. The Radiator fluid mixes with the transmission fluid and causes damage and puts i you in danger in the middle of the road. The estimate today from Nissan dealer, $10, 088 and I owe $10, 000 on the car! Do your homework. The frustrating entries about this car are all over the internet, including class action lawsuits!

transmission,calipers,engine,Nissan Consumer Affairs
By n06 on 02/02/12 13:41 PM (PST)

2006 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I just sold my Pathfinder 06 with 73K miles on it.Did not want to waste more money.I've driving Nissan since 1999.Definitely will not purches or recommend Nissan products at all.At 74k milles the car started falling apart:calipers ,brake switch,u joints,cd player ,tire air pressure sensor,radiator,transmission,timing chain ,all at once. Because of the extended warranty for the radiator I was told by Middletown Nissan dealer that I would have my radiator and the transmission replaced at no charge .Four days later my car had a major transmission leak.Brought it back to same dealer,got charged $190 ,because only front part of transmission was replaced.Invoice states replaced transmission.

Nissan- What?!?
By samandolia on 10/16/11 08:32 AM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased a Pathfinder almost 2 years ago, used. The seats were found to be so uncomfortable, my husband ALWAYS complained about how they felt like sitting on plywood. The center console, (where you rest your arm), always made a cracking sound when leaned on, and eventually broke.The backseat cupholder was sort of loose, and eventually broke off too. Then, when the car hit 95,000 miles, my "Service Engine Soon" light came on. Advance Auto put the computer on it, and said it was just the way I had put the gas cap back on and it would go off. It did, but when I filled up again, it came back on. I got lucky & got rid of it, I knew it was about to become expensive to repair- JUNK

4 Stars to 2 Stars
By kartdad805 on 06/16/11 21:59 PM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

After 2 years of owning my 2006 Pathfinder, I had nothing but good things to say. After 4-5 years of owing...it is another story. After the reliability of my parent's Datsun/Nissan products, I figured I would see 250,000 trouble free miles. In the last 12 months, I have spent over $5K replacing two cat converters, u-joints, shocks, ECU relay. Today, check engine light is on again! I am afraid of the ticking time bomb of the transmission I read about. Carlos Goshen may have "saved" Nissan...but as with many short-term thinking cost cuttiing "businessmen", it is at the sacrifice of Nissan's reputation of quality products. This will likely be the last Nissan product I ever buy! RIP Nissan

06 Pathfinder owners beware.
By nissanlemon on 06/02/11 12:17 PM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I recently purchased a used 2006 Nissan Pathfinder, I usually would not have purchased a foreign vehicle but a lot of people I know were saying what a great product Nissan had. But to my dismay I have found it to be a very expensive piece of junk. I have had the vehicle for 3 months, I paid $16,877.00 for it, it had 91,545 miles on it when I purchased it and I travel 130 miles a day to and from work. I had mentioned to the dealer that I thought that that may be too many miles, he said oh no! Nissans are known to go 250,000 miles or better. I have taken very good care of my vehicles as they are my main mode of transportation. Last week end I was on my way home from CT to MA when all of a sudden I experienced an awful vibration while driving down the interstate, I pulled over and shut the vehicle off and then started it back up again, it seem to be running fine until I tried to move it, it then started to vibrate and shake again. I called my brother who is a mechanic and he came and picked me up and towed the vehicle back to his place on a car trailer. He jacked the vehicle up and saw that the transmission appears to be wet. He then opened the dip stick tube to check the fluid and found the transmission to be full of anti-freeze. I called the dealer and they said they could not do anything because a used car warranty is 1200 miles or 1 month. I was really getting aggravated so I started to search the symptoms on the web, only to find that I am not the only one with this issue, it appears to be a design flaw with the 2006 Nissan Pathfinders and Nissan has not done a recall on them, although they did extend the warranty for the radiator assembly and transmission from 36 months/36,000 miles to 96 months/80,000 miles, including damage, repairs, replacement, and related towing resulting from this issue if you purchase the vehicle new. So this reinforces that they are aware of the issue and that they should recall or make good for the problem. I contacted Nissan Assist and they informed me that there was an issue and that they were aware, I explained that I purchased the vehicle from a dealer and that it was over the warranty mileage and they stated that Nissan may assist me anyways where I had just purchased the vehicle, and that I needed to get the problem diagnosed by a Nissan dealer and the call consumer affairs with the estimate, and they gave me a case number of 7180191. So I did as I was told hoping that Nissan would stand behind their product and assist me. I towed the vehicle to Bertera Nissan in Auburn, Ma. Where they gave me an estimate of $6360.58 to do the repairs, the service person said that this was a common problem and that they would be replacing the transmission and the radiator. I called consumer affairs and gave them the estimate and they said that a regional specialist would contact me within a day; she called me today and said that they would not do anything and that I would have to figure out how to get it repaired on my own. I think that this is very bad PR on Nissan’s part, I know that I would not by your product ever again after only owning one of your vehicles for only 3 months.

Getting rid of it when I can
By kbsparko on 01/21/11 13:10 PM (PST)

2006 Nissan Pathfinder SE Off-Road 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The gas mileage sucks for this type of vehicle. I have a full size truck and it gets much better mileage than Pathfinder. 77K miles and seats wearing thru, logos fell off floor mats, now I have transmission fluid in my radiator and coolant in my transmission. Dealer says cracked radiator! Seems to be a common problem from my on-line research. Maybe Nissan should stand by their product and recall these for radiator design flaw! Now Im supposed to shell out almost $6K for a 5 year-old vehicle! There are many other minor things that are starting to fail on this SUV. Too numerous to list from screws falling out to trim randomly coming lose...

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.