STAY AWAY!!!!
By abradach on
2005 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)
Do not buy this car, i got mine a year ago from a nissan dealership and now i have the problem everybody else has with this car: the radiator coolant leaking into the transmission. now the radiator has to be replace along with the transmission. (thousands of dollars). they extended the warranty up to 80,000 miles, but this problem usually happens around 85,000 like mine. this was figured out only after spending about $1000 on useless repairs the nissan mechanics kept guessing at. This car has drained me and i will NEVER buy anything from Nissan again!!!
Favorite Features
none
Suggested Improvements
maybe build it with a radiator that doesnt ruin the transmission
By mdb8364
on 03/05/12 12:30 PM (PST)

I had the same problem after owning my 2005 Pathfinder SE Off-Road for about 3.5 to 4 years. What really irritated me with the dealer was the fact that I had taken the car in and complained that something was wrong with the transmission (the car drove very sluggish and didn't want to change gears). the told me it was a fuel regulatory or something like that, charged me close to $500 bucks and sent me away. After about two month I went back with the same problem as before. Only after I gave them the "business" the dealership took me seriously and completed a thorough inspection. Subsequently, I was told that the radiator had a hole in it, which was causing radiator fluid to leak into the transmission. Like the guy above I was told that the transmission and radiator had to be replaced. This is kicker, when I initially reported the problem, I was under warranty. By the time I came back the second time, I was outside the warranty. Consequently, the dealer told me that it cost around $6K to $7k to fix. Needless to say, I was mad as @##%$% so I called Nissan North America to report the issue. They recontacted me after a couple days and said that they would cover the cost of the replacement. I don't know exactly what I said to convince them to fix my car, but it may have had something to do with me being a loyal customer (currently on my 3rd Nissan). Since then I have had no problems until recently. The paint is literally falling off the car. Granted the car is now 7 years old. However, this car has always been kept in my garage. Waxed and polish annually and well maintained. Now I have spots all over the vehicle were the paint is chipping away (e.g., the roof, around the windshield, the hood.) All of this in a matter of months and now has changed in how I maintenance the vehicle. I going to complain again, but I doubt if they are going to do anything. Good luck! PS. So am I to assume every once I hit 85K on the rebuilt tranny the leak will happen again?