Transmission / Radiator issue must be addressed
By john534 on
2005 Nissan Pathfinder SE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)
Very unreliable and very poor powertrain and electronic system design. Started experiencing shudder at 89K miles when the automatic transmission moved between 1st and 2nd gear. Symptom did not occur over two day period until driving on third day where the issue worsened rapidly until transmission became inoperable above 10 mph. I investigated the issue and learned that this is a well known issue with the Pathfinder where the radiator fluid fails into the transmission, causing both the radiator and transmission to fail... great design! My transmission and radiator are shot at 89,000 miles. Looking at $6000 repair bill that I will not pay.
Favorite Features
It is too bad that the powertrain design on this car is so poor. I enjoy the look and feel of the car and the interior and body of the car are very good. Over the past 20K miles the car has become way too unreliable. Throughout the life of the car I have had to repair a number of significant issues with the engine, suspension and electrical system. I used to think that I purchased a lemon but I have learned over time that this is just a poorly design car. The transmission/radiator failure is the final straw for me and the Nissan brand.
Suggested Improvements
This is a known issue with Nissan Pathfinders. There are thousands of complaints on the issue with Nissan and there have been no actions other than raising the warranty to 80K miles. This is gross error in the design of the product and can cause significant injury depending on the timing of the transmission failure. I was lucky in that I had alittle warning before the transmission let go. I might have had a different result on the highway. Do people have to die to get Nissan to take responsibility for their incredibly poor design? I am done with Nissan as a brand and suggest that the Fed investigate their inaction in addressing this problem.