2005 Nissan Pathfinder Consumer Review: Problems solved, hopefully

2005 Nissan Pathfinder - Consumer Review

SE 4dr SUV (4.0L V6 4x4 5-speed Automatic)

Problems solved, hopefully
By dargon on

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased in July, 2010 with 82k miles on it from dealership without knowing what issues the vehicle had. After reading all the reviews I took preemptive measures and replaced the radiator myself, $200. Evap code tripped on the way home from dealership same day of purchase. Took evap canister out, found out a tab holding the evap valve in place was insufficient and zip tied the crud out of it and haven't had a problems with it. According to carfax report the fuel sender had already been replaced. Haven't had an issue with it since, but transmission has always made a small clacking noise when it makes its first shift after start-up, hope this is normal.

After test driving some other suvs, this one seemed the most car like and didn't feel heavy. The suspension is completely independent, so I attribute the handling to that. Seats are comfortable and the power is ridiculous for a V-6. Sunroof and 4x4 are nice. We put premium non-ethanol fuel in it and average 17-18 in town about 20-22 on the highway. We were putting the low grade crud in it and could only get 16 at best in town and 18 highway. By changing to the best fuel we actually save money. Strange how that works. Overall, I like the car a lot.

The third row is basically pointless, but would work if really needed. I would not suggest this for an avid third row user. Heads up display would be nice, as would the radio staying on after ignition is off. And auto door locks would be a huge improvement. Our 2000 Pontiac grand prix had all these options and were nice.