2005 Nissan Pathfinder - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pathfinder model:
Transmission problems
By thammonds on 03/14/09 08:49 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

What a huge disappointment! I fell in love with my brand new pathfinder on the lot. As soon as I got it I had to put it in for service because the cloth was coming off of the drivers seat after about the 4th try I stopped taking it needless to say they never fixed it right transmission started messing after 1 year I did not know the noise I was hearing was not normal now 2 years later it is completely broke and costs 6800 to fix initially I took it in for a diagnostic test because I had no heat it was blowing cold air, they told me that the fluids from the radiator leaked into the transmission and made it go bad and they are not responsible for fixing Not worth money you have to put into it

Good Vehicle
By Jason on 02/07/09 17:09 PM (PST)

2005 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought in 06 used with 20k. Did have a sending unit problem causing engine light to come on at 50k. Bought one online for $80 and spent 2 hours by myself swapping it out. Not to hard to do. And also was not painted very well in the gap between the front pillars and fenders. Found that out at high press car wash, used touch up and can't tell anymore. Other than those two problems I am pleased with her, lots of power, not bad in the dirt or mud and I don't baby it. Rides good on highway and handles a trailer well. Was looking at Trailblazer's but Pathys have better reliability and much better crash ratings. Important to me when it's the wife's car and she's always hauling my 2 girls.

Great SUV
By j on 11/12/08 07:09 AM (PST)

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Great SUV, mine has 74k on it and I pound on it. Everything in my car is original except the tires which wore down at 65k. Still on original brakes battery and everything else. Drives more like a truck then a car. Interior is well laid out and I haul a lot of stuff to sports tourney's etc. Never had a real problem (knock on fake burlwood). Great ride and reliable, only annoyance is the constant problems with the tire pressure sensors (o ring is too small and tears causing a small leak whenever it gets cold). Fuel economy stinks, 15mpg no matter how I drive.

Love at first sight and now I'm in love!
By Jerry on 10/13/08 20:48 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

A family w/ 1 teenager and 2 elementary graders who love road trips as a family tradition. Ever since we bought her new 3 years ago, we haven't had any problem at all. She took us coast to coast yearly and most of the time, driving for 8-18 hrs straight except gas, snacks or nap were a great plus. We chose her because of safety feature for our 2 kids in 3rd row seat. In addition, it has 2 pairs of A/C or heater exhaust vent (standard) each row on top of the headboard with dual automatic climate control-great for summer or winter time. Of all the SUVs we drove, she is the only SUV that picks up speed and power from 0-60mph. We know this and we had really fun!

Great truck!
By tony on 09/11/08 08:10 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

After 3 yrs and 40k, no issues or problems. Gas mileage is 15 mpg in winter and 17 mpg in summer. Still runs like a champ, great in bad weather, Nice on long trips. The Bose stereo is one of the best factory units I've had. Overall, a win!

You get what you pay for
By JM on 08/14/08 19:07 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Pathfinder LE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased this 2005 LE in December 2004 and got a pretty fair deal as it was Dec 31st. I must say we use this vehicle a lot and it's provided fair value. We still have original brakes and tires. We replaced the battery once and fuel sending unit 4 times. Nissan took care of the first 3 sending unit replacements under warranty and the covered half of the cost of the most recent one. Recently the air bag "dummy" light was flashing but I learned how to reset it on the web. Our Nissan dealer wanted $700 to replace the "airbag computer." The instrument panel of this vehicle is really starting to scare me as I'm not sure what will fail next. Although I love my Infinitis, I won't buy Nissan

Build Quality Good but Not Great
By Desert_Al on 08/04/08 01:25 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought SUV late 2005; excellent, powerful albeit thirsty engine (average 19.8 mpg hwy; 15.9 city); reliable interiors, some spotty irritants - weatherproofing on front driver door detaches from B pillar often; air pressure light turns on when temperature changes; tested off-road in Sedona backroads including 30 degree incline rocky hill - addressed hill spectacularly;

Stay Away from Nissan!
By Mike on 07/21/08 23:54 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Here is a list of the items you can expect. 1) A rattle from inside the dashboard from zero miles. 2) A loud squeaking sound from rear frame. 3) Back of seats tear when in the down position. 4) The in-dash CD changer will fail at 40,000 miles. 5) Driver’s side window will disengage constantly. 6) The master window switch will fail at 40,000. 7) The memory seat settings will never work. 8) The rear shock absorbers will fail at 50,000 miles. 9) The check engine light will turn on every 10,000 miles. 10) Both secondary timing chains and camshaft secondary timing chain tensioners will fail. Cost: $2,148. Have fun!

Great Truck
By Ace Dude on 07/14/08 12:41 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SE Off Road Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I use my Pathfinder for business and drive about 20K miles per year, mostly on highway. The Pathfinder is comfortable, reliable, and a great all around truck. I occasionally pull a cargo trailer and have no problems. This truck has a great engine! It has more power than my V8 Ford Expedition had. Highly recommended. As for the fuel mileage, it's a truck! I have almost 50K miles on it now with NO PROBLEMS!

They Don't Make 'em Like They Used To!
By Fetts on 06/17/08 22:19 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this truck 4 years ago new with all the options. Interior/exterior is good and the engine is surprisingly fast (60,000 miles). I passed on the MBZ ML back in '05 and wish I hadn't. The engine light has come on serveral times, each time costing me around $300-$400. The driver's side window consistently pops out of the slide and leaves the truck unprotected. The rear windows stopped rolling up/down and the truck randomly locks when the keys are inside. There has been a rattle in the dash from the start, and the rear shocks went out at 50,000 miles. Worst of all, the dealer just told me the timing chain tension is bad and needs replacement. Cost? $4,000. Huh, time to sell.