Used 2005 Nissan Pathfinder SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pathfinder model:

Don't Buy 2005-2006 Pathfinders
By runnermcm

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I am having the same problems that others have noted here and on the Edmunds discussion board about the radiator and the transmission. The tranny is failing, but Nissan of Omaha says they can't find anything wrong despite riding with me and it slipping (acts as if it is in neutral) - goes to 6 RPM and you say at 40 mph for a while - just one example. Woodhouse Nissan confirmed my problem but Nissan of Omaha has to be the one to fix it and so far they won't. The radiator was replaced after it flooded the tranny and they flushed it, but that didn't solve it. There are at least 3 class action lawsuits. I'm not letting it end here. I will keep all boards I post on updated with progress/advice.

I used to love my car. I carpool a lot and enjoyed it. Now we are afraid to use it - we will end up in an accident or with no working car. Everyone keep trying to get Nissan to cooperate.

My Six Machine
By B Dan

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SUV XE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my pathfinder used, and instantly loved it! It drove me all over the west coast mountain ranges to every family members house. It was comfortable to be in for long drives. It also did awesome on daily drives up and down a super windy curvy 20 mile highway to and from work. Never felt like a corner was too much for it. (Never felt top heavy). Could pack it full of stuff for camping and shopping at Costco. I never had any mechanical issues. It ran great! Just routine services. Great family car or single's car. Ended having to sell it because of tight finances, and am still kicking myself for it. Awesome car for me!

I loved this car! Everything about it!

Nothing ever bugged me enough to say that it needed to be better

Transmission Issues...
By Mayra

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SUV XE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I to have a 2005 Pathfinder and like the other reviews on this site, I have had the same problems. The transmission is slipping and I just had to have a major repair with the coolant and fliud mixing together. There were no signs of this and suddenly while driving on the highway my car overheated. I also have the vibration of the car at certain speeds. It's awful that Nissan will not admit to the issue and resolve it. I have been telling Nissan (Meadowlands) about the vibrations since I purchased the vehicle and they just think its me. My mechanic indicated that he has never seen this happen. He couldn't believe that there were no warning signs either.

After reading this website with all of the same complaints, Nissan should recall this vehicle. It's obviously not an isolated case.

Fuel Sending Unit
By Grunt

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Just paid $560 for the fuel sending unit and Nissan must do a recall as they know it is a problem part. If I don't get reimbursed in the next 6 months I will trade it and never buy another Nissan again. Also have problems with the service engine light going off when no problem exists and that cost me $50 on 3 different occasions.

Recall fuel sending unit!

If I Could Turn Back Time
By mommaT

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SUV XE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I really enjoyed driving this car, right up until the transmission blew. Our gas gauge hadn't worked in a long, long time. No big deal, I just reset the mile ticker each time I filled up. But what I will NEVER understand is how a 5 year old vehicle we bought NEW at the local dealer could be worthless. We did all the scheduled maintenance, used synthetic oil, treated her well. A 5 yr old car should not need 6,000+ dollars worth of work done. This is a design flaw in the coolant system and we should NOT be on the hook for it. Nissan should be ashamed! This was the only car we had that could haul our 2 small kids and now it's junk! I don't have money to fix it, and a new car is not the budget!

I loved it when it ran. Didn't know we spent 30,000+ on a vehicle that would blow up in 5 years time.

Perhaps working out the kinks in your design BEFORE you sell the unsuspecting public your hunks of junk!