Used 2005 Nissan Pathfinder SUV Consumer Reviews - 366 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SUV - Consumer Reviews

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SUV

View reviews for a specific Pathfinder model:

Nissan Finally Transmission/Radiator Issue!!
By koz5150

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE Off Road Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

To all those who have had the infamous transmission/radiator issues, I just received a letter in the mail from Nissan saying that while they are not creating a reacall for it, they are extending the warranty on the vehicle to cover this issue.
They are extending the warranty to 96 months or 80K miles. While this is not the perfect solution, it should help a large number of owners.
To those who already had to pay for a repair for this, it sounds like you will be able to get reimbursed for it.
Hopefully you all will be receiving your letters shortly.
While my 2005 Pathfinder has not yet had this issue, I just wanted to pass on the somewhat good news.

Strong V6, and so far it has been a reliable vehicle. Granted my '05 only has 45K miles, but so far so good.

Relatively boring interior design.

Omg, how did this happen?
By winson

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this really good Nissan Pathfinder SE, but 5 years later I regreted it. Just when I was done financing this car and when the warranty was done, the car broke down and I had to bring the car to a friend who inspects and fixes cars. He inspected it and said the "water boxe's" water went into the transmissioner and they had to fix it and they gave me a crappy 2002 Honda Accord. After 2 weeks, I got my car back. (Yesterday) And I paid him $4700 dollars and I drove her home. But at 4:00, I went to wash the car and clean the engine but when I saw the transmissioner and the water box, I saw that nothing was replaced or anything. It was all the same. So I just wasted $4700 for nothing.

Now I know never to buy Nissan again!

2005 Nissan Pathfinder
By nissanhater

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE Off Road 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Vehicle has plenty of power and is fun off-road and in the snow.
Downsides are the door handles on rear doors are mounted to high for kids to use - plan on opening doors for them until they are about 7yrs old.
3rd row seating is ok for kids and adults the size of kids.
Fuel sensor and window switches fail ealry-on.
On many pathfinders the radiators are defective and leak coolant into the tranmission.
Plan an extra $6500 for trany/radiator replacement.
Get ext warranty and sell vehicle as soon as warranty runs out.

Vehicle is fun to drive on and off-road and in wet and snowy conditions.

Use external transmission cooler. Mount door handles lower for rear doors. Kids under 7 cannot open doors on their own due to height and angle placement of door latches.

Problems solved, hopefully
By dargon

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased in July, 2010 with 82k miles on it from dealership without knowing what issues the vehicle had. After reading all the reviews I took preemptive measures and replaced the radiator myself, $200. Evap code tripped on the way home from dealership same day of purchase. Took evap canister out, found out a tab holding the evap valve in place was insufficient and zip tied the crud out of it and haven't had a problems with it. According to carfax report the fuel sender had already been replaced. Haven't had an issue with it since, but transmission has always made a small clacking noise when it makes its first shift after start-up, hope this is normal.

After test driving some other suvs, this one seemed the most car like and didn't feel heavy. The suspension is completely independent, so I attribute the handling to that. Seats are comfortable and the power is ridiculous for a V-6. Sunroof and 4x4 are nice. We put premium non-ethanol fuel in it and average 17-18 in town about 20-22 on the highway. We were putting the low grade crud in it and could only get 16 at best in town and 18 highway. By changing to the best fuel we actually save money. Strange how that works. Overall, I like the car a lot.

The third row is basically pointless, but would work if really needed. I would not suggest this for an avid third row user. Heads up display would be nice, as would the radio staying on after ignition is off. And auto door locks would be a huge improvement. Our 2000 Pontiac grand prix had all these options and were nice.

Crap, it happened to mine also!
By Paul

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Ok, I just bought this pathfinder and traded my other 2 decent vehicles in on it thinking that since this is a Nissan it would last forever and it was newer than my other 2/well as soon as I bought it it started jerking bad and come to find out it is of course the trans and radiator/and as of right this minute it has been in shop for over a week having trans rebuilt and radiator replaced at the expense of the car dealership luckily. I love this vehicle but Nissan needs to step up to the plate and fix their junky parts! Once the radiator leaks antifreeze in trans it is messed up. Good luck and hopefully mine will be like new now

Comfort, roomy, Bose stereo rocks, fun to drive

I don't like the heater control knobs and having to take extra time turning it up and down. Why would there not be factory made floor mats under the middle row seats that flip up on the spot where people step on when getting in the back?