Used 2005 Nissan Pathfinder SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Nissan Pathfinder - Consumer Reviews

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SUV

View reviews for a specific Pathfinder model:

Most Helpful|
bad car! bad car!
By venting67

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SUV LE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This car is RIDICULOUS!!! I bought this car used with only 36,000 miles, if that. This car has broken down soooo many times that I am both surprised and disappointed that the government has not stepped in and reprimanded Nissan. Other than normal maintenance, I have spent greater than $3000 in major repairs. I am soo over this car and will be trading it as soon as possible.

Reliable transportation.
By screamingsloth

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this truck in 2008 with 47.000 mile on the clock. Aside from normal preventative maintenance, I have replaced both camshaft position sensors and the crankshaft position sensors. That is all. I monitor all fluids closely and now with 132.000 on the clock it still performs as new. The only other glitch is the CD player failed.

Favorite Features

It has been reliable. The gas mileage is better than I expected. It weighs 5000 pounds after all . I get during my commute of around 20 mpg which is not bad for a truck based SUV. The ride is nice and firm and the suspension is responsive and surefooted.

Suggested Improvements

Manual transmission availability would be nice. Better standard sound system.

How to love your Pathfinder
By pfluvr

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Step 1 - Have your transmission cooling lines disconnected from the radiator! There is an external auxiliary transmission cooler that does the job already. The only problem you may encounter is hard shifting in extreme cold. You can, if you want put another auxiliary cooler on the truck, but unless you're maxing the towing capacity every day you will not need it. The stock cooler is very large. Step 2 - You've basically now cured the only problem you will ever encounter, except for some little maintenancy things. Enjoy!

Favorite Features

Gets 20mpgs while towing a 17' boat 250 miles with 4 large adults seated comfortably loaded with gear. Can outrun most cars at stoplights. Does not get stuck in snow ever. Is very comfortable on long rides. Looks awesome.

Suggested Improvements

Make the little maintenancy type things go away. Fix problems like the radiator/transmission failure problem without screwing people by making them a recall issue.

Buyer beware!
By kfop

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased used 05 Pathfinder in January of this year. Within a month of owning the vehicle, began having the transmission problems that everyone talks about on here (radiator fluid mixing w/ transm. fluid) completely destroying the transmission and radiator. Also began having the fuel sensor problem that everyone talks about. This all occurred between 65K - 70K miles. Don't take just my word for it. Read all of the bad reviews online for this vehicle for the tranny and fuel sensor problem. New tranny costs $5,000. To top things off, the gas mileage is awful on this vehicle (16 mpg best I ever got) I highly suggest you stay away from this vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Nissan needs to take ownership of the "known" transmission issue on this vehicle. Nissan is well aware of this problem but completely refuses to accept it. I thankfully had an extended warranty that I purchased through a 3rd party at the time of the purchase that saved my *ss.

I am torn on this review...am I one of the lucky ones?
By andybisnut

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE Off Road 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I love this truck but I am torn on the review. I had the issue where the transmission cooling lines failed, causing coolant to get into the transmission. The car would "rumble" when the torque converter engaged. Installed new radiator and flushed the heck out of the transmission. 30,000 miles later, fingers crossed, the tranny is still OK. I haven't had to replace it. Otherwise, the Patfhfinder has been virtually bullet-proof. It's been our go-to road trip car and it's survived many brutal MN winters. Great truck. If the tranny issue didn't exist it would get a perfect score. Seriously powerful engine with lots of sound and fury. :) MPG isn't great...maybe 17-18 MPG on average.

Favorite Features

*Engine and acceleration *Feels solidly built...rides firm but not too rough *Tight feel of steering *"Trucky" design (I don't like the 2013 crossover version) *Comfortable seats *Simple and intuitive gauges and controls *Reliable (except for the aforementioned tranny issue, obviously) *Cargo space *Third row for kids *4WD + high ground clearance in winter

Suggested Improvements

*Obviously, fix the transmission cooling lines issue! *Some interior materials could be a little higher quality *MPG could be better